-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
C
I've got a pair of Whites Smokejumpers that I use for wildland firefighting. I use the same pair as my hunting boots. They were custom made to my feet. Don't misunderstand, they are a bare-bones utility boot. No cushioning, no lining...they are leather and lots of it. I was skeptical when I first started the ordering process. I never tried any on, I just had my foot measured by an honest-to-goodness cobbler and he ordered them. When they arrived and I looked down the throat at all the leather, I was really nervous.

That was 6 years ago. Simply the absolute best money I've ever spent on footwear. Period. They are more comfortable than some of my tennis shoes!!! I work with a couple guys that have had the same pair 15-20 years, and have them rebuilt every 6 or so years. If I recall, about $200-225 for a complete rebuilt boot.

My single, number 1 complaint? The lack of a waterproof liner. THAT'S why I'm looking at Meindl's or Kenetrek or another pair of Danners (I have three pair of Danner boots and love them!!). Once they get soaked, my socks get soaked and that makes for a cranky me.

Good luck,
- Randy

GB1

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a couple pairs of White's, both Packers and custom made 25 years ago. One pair have the cowboy heel and semi Vibram tread, the other has a full Vibram sole. I like them, have used both a great deal and one pair is need of rebuild. I think it's worthwhile to have them fitted, custom built. I needed good support them, having torn up an ankle pretty bad back then. Good to go to Spokane to get measured.

It's true, they are pretty heavy, tough to break in, and not waterproof. They do have great support, are great in tough country. The prices are pretty steep now as well.

I've switched to Danners, Hood Winter Light and Canadian, for hunting most of the time these days. With the Danners, stick to the USA made boots.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Colorado_Okie
When they arrived and I looked down the throat at all the leather, I was really nervous.

I thought the same thing, I wear mine 365 day a year for the last 8 years or so.

B
B
Whites are the best for rough terrain. That being said, mine leak like a sieve after several rebuilds, and I usually have to finish an elk hunt with another pair of boots, typically my Whites pack boots.The logger heel is the best for sidehills, although they feel kind of funny on packed trails. Worth every penny, my first pair is 21 yrs old and starting to rot, and the other is 11, rebuilt 3 or 4 times. As a forester I spend a lot of time in these boots, and will soon bite the bullet again for another new pair

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on Wesco's!! I had a pair of Highliners custom built for me with insulation and a western toe about 18 years ago and these felt like a boot I'd been wearing for 2 years when I pulled em on, with the exception the soles were very stiff. Overall a very comfortable, stout boot and exceptional service!!

http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/home.asp

Huntinut

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I've got a pair of Whites Smokejumpers that I use for wildland firefighting. I use the same pair as my hunting boots. They were custom made to my feet. Don't misunderstand, they are a bare-bones utility boot. No cushioning, no lining...they are leather and lots of it. I was skeptical when I first started the ordering process. I never tried any on, I just had my foot measured by an honest-to-goodness cobbler and he ordered them. When they arrived and I looked down the throat at all the leather, I was really nervous.

That was 6 years ago. Simply the absolute best money I've ever spent on footwear. Period. They are more comfortable than some of my tennis shoes!!! I work with a couple guys that have had the same pair 15-20 years, and have them rebuilt every 6 or so years. If I recall, about $200-225 for a complete rebuilt boot.

My single, number 1 complaint? The lack of a waterproof liner. THAT'S why I'm looking at Meindl's or Kenetrek or another pair of Danners (I have three pair of Danner boots and love them!!). Once they get soaked, my socks get soaked and that makes for a cranky me.

Good luck,
- Randy

white makes amazing boots, but can't you just order a pair from them to fit your needs now? I would think Whites could make anything you want. If you tell them waterproof, they will be waterproof..but yea, some of the best damn boots anywhere.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a pair of the elk guide packers and love them they have never failed me.

C
C
Originally Posted by no experience

Good luck,
- Randy

white makes amazing boots, but can't you just order a pair from them to fit your needs now? I would think Whites could make anything you want. If you tell them waterproof, they will be waterproof..but yea, some of the best damn boots anywhere.

I need them for wildland firefighting, so they must meet NFPA requirements. I'm not so sure I'd order another pair specifically for hunting though. I'm looking for a new pair of hunting boots actually, as we speak. I'm leaving towards the Danner boot marketed as the Cabelas Elk Hunter. I have two other pair of Danner boots as station boots and love them! I'm also looking at Meindl and more recently Kenetreks. I'm a huge believer in you get what you pay for in footwear, so if it task specific footwear I'm looking for, I'm willing to take my time, find the right boot, regardless (mostly) of cost.

All told, my Whites are my favorite boots, period.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a pair of custom Whites smokejumpers I've been wearing since the early 90s when I fought fire. I do prefer a mountaineering style boot for mountain travel though. I dropped by Whites in Spokane about a year ago to check out some of their new boots with lower heels. They seemed chincy so I looked at a pair of smokejumpers too. The quality doesn't compare to the ones I got in the 90s. I think I'd probably feel ripped off paying retail for a pair now. I asked the salesman and he admitted that, even though Whites still gets the best grades of leather they can, they're nowhere near as tough as they used to be. More like a 3-5 year (hard use) lifespan these days instead of a lifespan measured in decades.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

329 members (17Fan, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 43 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,077
Posts18,501,560
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.