Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'm not a fan of using liquid smoke or much Worcestershire for that matter... and don't care for a real sweat type BBQ sauce, nor one that has a real bitter or vinegary taste. Only store bought BBQ sauce I have found that I really like is the Chris & Pits.

But went down to the health food store yesterday and purchased some of the real/live cider vinegar and plan on trying this sauce this weekend.

One question I have for you guy's is do you cook/simmer yor BBQ sauce or is it a cold mix that you mix up and refrigerate, letting it sit to mix the flavors??? I've alway's cooked mine and made just enough for the one occasion, but your Ollie's BBQ sauce sounds like a cold mix and left to sit.

Phil

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. Coleman,

I'm make a big batch of bbq sauce today. Its a ketchup based, thin sauce that goes well with beef such as brisket and pulled pork as well.

I know you were looking for a vinegar based sauce but I'd love to send you a pint to try if you'll PM me your address.

Thanks!

Matt

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Speaking of BBQ sauce, there is a place in the northern Alabama, I am thinking at or near Decatur, that has a white BBQ sauce. Not sure, but I'm thinking it is mayonaise based. Sounds real odd at best. Anyone familiar with such?

Big Bob Gibson's

The white sauce is used on chicken and It's not my cup of tea, but others like it.

Sweet Baby Ray's is good thinned with burboun. I use about 3/4cup sauce to 1/4 cup Wild Turkey.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mr. Coleman, went and made up 12 pounds of BBQ chicken leg quarters last night using the Ollie's/Fosco's BBQ Sauce you've been talking about, came out fantastic!

I had to use the ingredient's I could find locally, but here is the recipe I used;

3/4 cup (Bragg, raw apple cider vinegar with the mother)
1/4 cup (London Pub, malt vinegar)
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp kosher salt
3/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp crushed/dried hot red peppers
1 tsp oriental hot mustard powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
approx. 3/4 cup catchup, maybe a little less

After mixing this stuff up, I wound up putting it in a near-empty 18 ounce bottle of Bulls Eye, brown sugar/hickory that probably only had a spoon full left in it... it was just the right size and filled the bottle back up nearly to the top... shook it up real good and let it set in the refrigerator overnight.

After washing and drying the chicken pieces, I brushed each piece with the sauce and placed in a big bowl putting a little more over the top, and let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours while getting the BBQ ready.

Used most of the rest of the sauce on the chicken while on the BBQ also having a couple big hickory chips on the charcoal fire for a little smoke flavor....

Chicken came out great!

Phil

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Mr. Coleman,

I'm make a big batch of bbq sauce today. Its a ketchup based, thin sauce that goes well with beef such as brisket and pulled pork as well.

I know you were looking for a vinegar based sauce but I'd love to send you a pint to try if you'll PM me your address.

Thanks!

Matt

Matt,
I just saw your post. A better idea would be for you to bring it down and let me cook some BBQ for us. smile I appreciate your thoughtfulness. My address is: 778 Jasmine Hill Road Greenville, AL 36037 but I'd rather you come down for a visit.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Phil, I have sorely missed Ollie's sauce and was almost delirious to get the recipe for Fosco's. It's so near Ollie's that I can't say for a certainty just what the difference would be. I'm delighted that you enjoyed it so much.
Warmest regards,
Mickey

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Greyghost

Bragg, raw apple cider vinegar with the Mother

I'm here to tell ya' that's good stuff. Whole Foods sells it. I'm going to store away a case of it.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Go to the "Bragg" web site, they have their book on the benefits of raw apple cider vinegar for sale there $9.95 if I remember right. Makes for some interesting reading, it's 6"x9" paperback book of about 120 pages.

We have a local health foods store that sells their entire product line...

But it's also made here in California!

Phil

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ltppowell

This is the recipe from Cooper's, in Llano Texas. It is THE best BBQ in the world, no discussion.

As it happens, I was passing thru Llano last week about suppertime, so I stopped in at Cooper's for some beef brisket and smoked sausage. Very, very fine BBQ, and the sauce is delicious.

Thanks for the recommendation, Pat.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup. We were raised on heavy doses of vinegar. I'm convinced it's one of the reasons my family members live to be as old as they do.

Duce Staley (Carolina boy), said he drank a jar of vinegar or pickle juice before, during and after every football game. Cured what ailed him and kept him from dehydrating. In fact, I think the entire Eagles and Gamecocks football teams starting drinking it.

Anytime I can find products that are not unfiltered and raw I jump on them. Especially, honey and vinegar.

http://bragg.com/products/bragg-organic-apple-cider-vinegar.html

Last edited by byc; 10/18/11. Reason: add link

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (808outdoors, 338Rules, 38HBWC, 35, 8 invisible), 2,192 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,022
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.