Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
remfak Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not sure if this has been posted but a friend sent it to me today and thought I would share it:

Warren Buffett, in a recent interview with CNBC, offers one of the best quotes about the debt ceiling:

"I could end the deficit in 5 minutes," he told CNBC. "You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election

The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months &8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971...before computers, e-mail, cell phones, etc.

Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took 1 year or less to become the law of the land...all because of public pressure.

Congressional Reform Act of 2011

1. No Tenure / No Pension.
A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

2. Congress (past, present &future) participates in Social Security.
All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen.
Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by remfak
"I could end the deficit in 5 minutes," he told CNBC. "You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election.

Right there's the rub. "I could end the deficit...." Not possible. One person can't pass a law.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All foxes in charge of chicken coops will voluntarily stop eating chicken.

Here's another possible fix for Congress.

[Linked Image]

Not that I would ever actually advocate anything based on the fact that governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, and that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government.

Heavens to Betsy, no sirree, not me...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds good to me.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am really tired of 'advice' from a financial crook that can't/won't pay his own taxes.
[bleep] 'em

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck getting Congress to propose that as a joint resolution!

Islam is a terrorist organization.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What the hell is this? Buffet trying to rehabilitate his image?
He is in a fight with the IRS over a billion dollar tax debt. He then chastises the rich for their lack of "fair share". Now he is making broad sweeping changes to Congress? Maybe its time for a medication adjustment.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL! Yeah, Buffet makes me laugh too.

Remember, this is the guy who got the inside tip to buy Goldman Sachs and probably got an inside tip to buy Bank of America. But, that's OK, no laws will be found to have been broken since the tips came from 0bama instead of a private sector executive.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
He forgot term limits and seems to believe the country all has the same health care program. I also object to any guaranteed pay raises.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Anyone snope it?

Makes good sense, therefore I don't think it is Warren Buffet.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I am really tired of 'advice' from a financial crook that can't/won't pay his own taxes.

I'm in this camp......he fits right in with the half breed's aministration.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Governments never want to be held to the same standards as ordinary people.

It's a joke saying they join politics "to serve".

Everyone knows they join politics to possess power - and for the perks.

Good luck dreaming any government anywhere would give themselves the same kind of pension, health-care or pay raises that ordinary people get.

It'll never happen - anywhere.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BCBrian

It's a joke saying they join politics "to serve".

No there their to serve themselves.

NRA Lifetime Member
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Works for me! The problem is no one in congress right now will vote for it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

149 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 35, 44mc, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7887mm08, 11 invisible), 1,564 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,996
Posts18,481,160
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.