Print Thread
Hop To
D
Drake02 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Just threw away my 2 Foiles duck calls. I will not support criminals or poaching dirt bags.

U.S. hunter fined for duck abuse

By Tony Blais, QMI Agency

A "celebrity" U.S. fowl hunter who sells videos of his outdoor antics was fined Wednesday by an Edmonton judge for hunting illegally and being cruel to wounded birds.

Jeffery Burdett Foiles, a 54-year-old Illinois man, was dinged $14,500 and banned from hunting in Canada for three years after earlier pleading guilty to several charges under the Migratory Birds Convention Act and two criminal charges of causing cruelty to animals.

Judge Susan Richardson took Foiles - who did not have to personally appear in court - to task for what she found were the aggravating factors in the case, including his "gratuitous harm to animals and total lack of respect to the avian resources of this country."

Richardson also noted Foiles will now have a criminal record and could face problems returning to Canada.

Foiles' unlawful hunting activities - captured on video while in Alberta and Saskatchewan - included him calling the wounded birds by names and hamming it up on camera by talking to them, quacking, hitting and slapping them and wrenching their necks.

"The duck would have been experiencing distress and pain," said prosecutor Michelle Ferguson, referring to one incident where Foiles "wrenches" a duck's neck so the bird is looking at him and says: "Look at me when I'm talking to you," while wagging the neck back and forth.

Ferguson also cited another incident where Foiles bangs the beak of a duck with a live shotgun shell, roughly manipulates the duck's head and then places his fingers over the nostrils of the duck and holds its beak closed. He then asks the duck: "Is this how you want to die?"

As well, Foiles, who markets his videos under the name "Fallin' Skies," illegally hunted waterfowl from a powerboat and repeatedly exceeded his maximum daily bag limit and those of his fellow hunters.

Ferguson said it was aggravating that Foiles was a visitor to Canada and he made his fowl hunting videos for profit, purposefully shot over his limit and showed a lack of concern towards the wounded ducks.

"His actions promoted the needless suffering of those animals," said Ferguson.

Defence lawyer Steve Fix told court Foiles was a divorced father of four adult children and said he was not in a position to dispute the charges because they are dated and the hunter does not recall all of the events.

"He regrets this matter from the outset and simply wants to move on," said Fix.

According to agreed facts, the majority of the hunts in Alberta and Saskatchewan were in 2007 and included expeditions to Edmonton, Bentley and Pigeon Lake.

During the hunts, Foiles would address the birds by names, including "Mr. Honker" and "Mrs. Mallard," and he would not immediately dispatch wounded fowl.

He also once held a wounded Canada Goose - brought to him by his dog 24 minutes after he shot it - up for the camera and rubbed its head against his own cheek before eventually breaking its neck.

In another videotaped incident, a laughing Foiles "plays" to the camera while whacking a crippled duck on its beak with his duck call.

He also manipulates the body and wings of the wounded bird and then shows it his shotgun and explains it was the cause of his demise.

Court also heard Foiles tried to get his cameraman to shoot fowl despite him not having a permit and chuckled on camera while joking about exceeding the bag limits.

Outside court on Wednesday, Brian Petrar, the operations manager of Environment Canada's Wildlife division, spoke of Foiles being a "celebrity hunter" and said his hunting video antics were not "conducive to a fair chase."

Petrar also spoke of the "ethical part" of hunting and how Foiles "wasn't afraid to bend the rules to make money."

Meanwhile, on Sept. 21, Foiles was sentenced in U.S. District Court to 13 months in jail and fined $100,000 after earlier pleading guilty to violating federal wildlife laws south of the border, as well.

"If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Good, wish they hit him with more of a fine. To bad they don't donate that fine to Waterfowl USA and Ducks Unlimited.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
IMHO his fine should have been at the very minimum: equal to the fine in the US plus jail time not to be served concurrently to his US time. All he received here was a slap on the wrist. Should have also included a lifetime ban from hunting/fishing in Canada.
Hopefully the Conservation community here will benefit through creative sentancing where the fine is handed to them to protect and conserve wetlands etc. AFGA, ACA, DU etc could certainly put the money to excellent use.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I would agree he should lose all his hunting rights both here and in Canada. He is a dirtbag!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What an idiot. His hubris cost him a darn good living. I wonder how far sales of his stuff will drop off? I hope entirely.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Only a fool would buy any of his products. You live by the sword, so shall you die by it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well I agree that his fines and fees and loss of license were sub standard... there is NO WAY that guy should ever be allowed to hunt ever again in either country... likewise, if his videos from the Canadian hunts were already released, all profits from the sales should be turned over. He could potentially make more money than the fee ... what is the penalty then??? He makes less money??? Not good enough in my opinion... all profits plus a large fee and loss of license for life...

Andrew
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What a total a-hole. Just what honest hunters need is to have high profile guy like Foiles acting like a total douchebag.

"To the contrary, we hunt not to kill. We kill to have hunted." Thanks Jose & JB
"I wouldn't venture out there fellas. This snipers got talent."
" I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
He will still make a Good living.. Sad but there are douchbags that think it's cool.......

I wish he would have lost his hunting rights for 10 years !!

When does he have to report to jail?? 13 months will be 3 if we are lucky !!

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (7887mm08, 325wsm1, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 21, 11 invisible), 14,318 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,108
Posts18,541,934
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.