Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Winny or Mauser. I'd pass on the other two---2MG

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Here's a pic of the rifle. It has a 23" barrel and I'd prefer to sell it with the factory synthetic stock but would also consider selling it "as is" sans scope/rings.
[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kute- I had a 338/06 tube on my G33/40 for a while, it was a Chanlin done by Gentry and it shot great.

250 SAF's/IMR 4350=2590 fps 23" tube

that should work for most of what I'll be after...

MD

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Tell me more about the mausers you are talking about, and how to identify them.
Also are these three posistion safeties as I have seen on some commericial mauser actions, or otherwise? I am not interested in have a safety on left side, or the funky roller type safety on the right. I am familiar with three position safeties, and they are natural for me.

How about the Husqvarna rifles that SARCO sells in Shotgun News? Are these the actions you are talking about?

I know Gentry makes a three posistion safety for Mauser 98's. But it is relatively expensive.

What is Argy bottom metal, and where would you get it. How does it differ from what comes with rifle? I actually prefer blind magazines when possible to help reduce weight.

Please excuse my ignorance regarding Mauser actions.

Thanks

Darin

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Montroseman--

You might want to look at a recent thread that I started asking for entry level help on a Mauser. I only know about 1% of what others on here know. People offered some helpful comments on that thread; no point in making them duplicate that effort.

If you want a 3 position safety, the Winchester may be the least expensive way to get there. Most of the Mausers that I have seen either have either a wing on left or a push/roller on the right. Jkob makes a custom 2 position that you might check into. But I think he charges $95, which may be a really good value but also shows how extensive mods to a 98 can drain the budget.

But there are lots of different variations and aftermarket parts--sort of like the 1911 45ACP pistol. It seems like every country on the planet has imported Mausers at one time. The major variations are on length and large v. small ring.

There are also serious bargains to be found out there in Mausers. I picked up a FN with a custom barrel in 270 Win for $200 in a pawn shop. Took it apart at home, only to find a Canjar trigger and what looks like a McMillan stock. So I came out way ahead. So my entry-level thread was started as I was trying to figure out what to do with this gun.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Interarms Mark X. Rifle cost $325, extractor not designed to snap over a case head if a cartridge pops out prior to being picked up by the bolt head/extractor. Don't know about the trigger, still a Mark X"

Such an extractor can be easily modifed to snap over and in my opinion should be so modifed.

The information that you want to save weight now directs us. A blind magazine will save a lot of weight. In fact the large ring, small ring thingy does not matter weight wise all that much.

A cored stock such as a Bansner will save even more weight. How much do you want the rifle to weigh and how long of a barrel do you like?

Back to practical ideas. A .35 Whelan is going to be able to shoot 300 yds and it's got to be as powerful as a 338 on the same case. There is only a .020" difference in bullet diameter and bigger is better. I would take the standard Whelan any day over a 338/06.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Montroseman, I am just finishing packing to leave for about a fortnight in the Rockies with my partner and our packs and do not have time to give details right now. However, I must be home by the 23rd to see my orthopaedic sawbones re: possible "renovations" on my battered carcass. I will p.m. you at that time concerning your questions and may be able to assist you in your quest for the ideal mountain hunting rifle which is a subject that I have a bit of "hands-on" experience with.

I do not want to bother debating this here as it is a waste of time to argue with those whose "expertise" is not based on actual, personal, mountain experience. Maybe Kifaru.net might be a better venue for this, pm me there if you want and I shall reply in detail when I get home in two weeks.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I can recommend an FN commercial mauser like this one
I've had done up by Dennis Olson in Montana.

Will barrel it up 338-06 A.I. after the first of the year.

Dennis modified the extractor to snap over a cartridge
if/when desired.

Attached Images
572878-DSC00009A.JPG (0 Bytes, 71 downloads)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like Sav99's idea. I also like the Whelen or Whelen improved better. If you ever decided to get rid of it, it would be easier also IMHO---2MG

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I personally found a second hand stainless Ruger 77 mark II on auction arms. I sold off all the pieces and ended up with a barreled action for $250. I had it barreled in 338-06, bead blasted and stocked it with a Boyds JRS in pepper laminate. It looks like a Target Grey Ruger now. I have been shooting both 200 and 225 grain loads and the most amazing thing is it shoots everything well. Does it do anything a 30-06 won't do? No. But it will be a fun build and you won't regret it. From you handle are you from Montrose CO? If so, if you get over to Gunnison I will show it to you and you can shoot it if you like. I am very happy with this gun and happen to like shooting big fat bullets. [Linked Image]

Last edited by supercrewd; 09/12/05.

NRA Life Member
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Supercrewd

Yes I am. I have a friend here that has one built on on a Ruger as well that I need to get out and shoot one day. Looks like a cool rig, and I appreciate the offer. Maybe in early winter we could hook upl

Darin

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
supercrewd,
That is a fine looking rifle!

Huntr

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Nice post. I have a 35 Whelen on a VZ 24 action and love it.
Where could I find a G-33/40 or VZ-33 action. I would love to build a rifle on either action but what I have seen in the last several years these actions are impossible to fine. You can find a few custom rifles on these actions but they are very expensive.

Don

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Montrose, i don't read this forum all the time but drop me a note and we can go shoot. Huntr, thanks, I really like it...

NRA Life Member
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,352
Posts18,506,261
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.