Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tarkio
[You want to hang the guy, fine. Nail him with fines, seize firearms etc. But I think a good lawyer could nail WY based on the size of the restitution.

Aside from the stuff Brent mentioned there's also the consideration of the future herd production.

Yeh good lawyer,,, we had a fella with more money than brains moved into the Cody region,he figured he was better than most of the local hick john law types. Well in the end he lost his estate, including all his guns, and the Bell helicopter he was using to pursue the biggame when/wherever he felt like, plus some of his buddies lost some of their prized belongings as well.
Their high dollar imported lawyer only ended up with his client owing a rather large bill , with no way to pay it while the client sat in jail.....

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's a UAV?

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, I think.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by BrentD
When they figure the value of an animal, it is not just the price of the tag, but also all of the other values, including, but not limited to the money spent processing it, hotel rooms and restaurants used in the pursuit of it, gasoline, equipment and clothing bought to pursue it, and even all the time it acted simply as a tourist attraction for nonhunters who visit the state to see wildlife and spend money doing so.

How they actually come up with these dollar values is a bit suspect for sure, but the value of a deer is not simply it's price tag for a license.

Yep

.....civilize 'em with a Krag
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by jnyork

$3000 restitution for a mule deer doe. That's unreal.

I can recall people having to pay $10,000 restitution for killing a bald eagle.
It seems like there was a case where a huge trophy bull elk taken illegally resulted in $7,500 or so restitution.

Anyone else find this amount pretty dang high?

Mind you, restitution isn't to be punitive, that's what fines are for.

Not high at all, pretty common in Wyoming, we absolutely do not tolerate poachers, most of the judges are hunters and sportsmen, they have no sense of humor at all when it comes to this sort of thing.

Let me restate my question.

Restitution is meant to make whole the party that was damaged. IOW, pay for the damage you did. Fines are meant to be punitive.

Restitution should be the cost of a mule deer doe. $3,000 is way too much.

Another way to look at it is to ask yourself how much would most hunters pay for the chance to shoot a mule deer doe? $3,000? I think not.

You want to hang the guy, fine. Nail him with fines, seize firearms etc. But I think a good lawyer could nail WY based on the size of the restitution.

Perhaps they're making the poacher pay for some of the UAV's time aloft?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Why would anyone shoot a mule deer doe, let alone poach one? The only thing that makes mulie meat bearable is if you have a nice set of antlers to look at while chewing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you just do a little quick math, that 3K isn't that far out considering for a nonresident to come hunt a deer it cost 350 just for the license and if they drive 1000 miles to come and hunt there's another 500$, so just in license and gas you're already talkin 850$ for one lousy little deer...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm all for heavy handed poacher punishment.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'd like to know more of the story. Were these guys newcomers or not local? Did they not have a license to hunt deer or just shoot the wrong deer on property they thought was public.

I can say from first hand experience that its possible to get conflicting information in Wy about property boundries. I've had out Game Dept maps (talked to a warden for directions), a GPS and carefully identified markers and still had a landowner tell me I was in the wrong spot.

I have also seen angled spike antlers on a buck, while holding a doe tag, hidden by those big mule deer ears. So it is possible for a law abidding out of state or inexperienced hunter to shoot the wrong animal in the wrong spot........ from a location they might not have thought of as a "road".

I don't "think" that happened here. I'd just like to know more of the particulars before I passed judgement (max fine).

Last edited by gmack; 10/21/11. Reason: clarity
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by eh76
By the Star-Tribune staff | The loss of hunting and fishing privileges applies not only to Wyoming, but 13 additional Western states.

Last I heard there were 34 states as part of that compact that he now can't hunt in.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gmack
I'd like to know more of the story. Were these guys newcomers or not local? Did they not have a license to hunt deer or just shoot the wrong deer on property they thought was public.

I can say from first hand experience that its possible to get conflicting information in Wy about property boundries. I've had out Game Dept maps (talked to a warden for directions), a GPS and carefully identified markers and still had a landowner tell me I was in the wrong spot.

I have also seen angled spike antlers on a buck, while holding a doe tag, hidden by those big mule deer ears. So it is possible for a law abidding out of state or inexperienced hunter to shoot the wrong animal in the wrong spot........ from a location they might not have thought of as a "road".

I don't "think" that happened here. I'd just like to know more of the particulars before I passed judgement (max fine).

All of the above, with the exception of hunting without a license (poaching) will get you fined. They are not nearly as serious an offense as outright poaching, and the fines will be far less.

Last edited by jnyork; 10/21/11.

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I was thinking poaching might have this broader definition:

"Poaching is illegal hunting, killing, capturing or taking of wildlife violating local or international wildlife conservation laws. This can occur in a number of ways. For example, illegal shooting or trapping of an animal from a private or public property amounts to poaching.

Activities that are otherwise legal may amount to poaching if they are done violating wildlife laws. For example, harvests made without complying with the regulations for legal harvest result in the illegal taking of wildlife and come under poaching."

So did the guys have a license?.......... and just make a rookie mistake or two....... then spook and hall ass.

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
I am all for heavy fines, I think that one bad thing I see back here is a $200 fine for poaching, heck If I could hunt for a year or two and not get caught I would be ahead at that rate not buying a licence

3K for a doe or cow..5K+ for something with antlers seems just about right. Its enough that it should deter many pocahers.

Part of it is that you hope that there is some level of discresion. I mean in the example of someone who whacks a spike buck, with only a doe tag and then calls the warden himself..I could see something like forfit of that years hunting priviliges and or a small fine.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Bottom line......poach in Wyoming and you WILL pay.

.....civilize 'em with a Krag
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (219DW, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,274
Posts18,486,646
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.