Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I must say that I grind 80 percent of my deer. Of course I harvest the tenderloins and a small roast or two.
I started with a Kitchen Aid attachment and yes it works the mixer unit really heats up but again it works.
I bought a 1 HP Cabelas grinder with a #22 grinding unit and my Daughter and I cut our time significantly. We start with the course outlet and than mix up the meat and grind twice through the fine outlet.

I will tell you the most significant thing is having the meat cold it makes a huge difference in the grinding rate.

Its like when a guy buys a set of Swarovskis he may throw up shelling out the cash but once you have them normally a guy is happy. Yes I shelled out more than I wanted but now I have it I take care of it and if a friend need to do some grinding bring it over we will get it done.
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Not to steal the other thread...

Those of you that process your own, can you recommend a good grinder that won't break the bank..? Grinder would see no more than probably 4-5 deer per year.

My $69 Back to Basics grinder has done an elk and 4-5 deer now, works well though if you are a fan of overkill in your machinery look elsewhere. I plan to get get a heavy duty unit when I cross paths with one at a good price but for now, thin one is handling the 2 deer a year I get to shoot just fine.

Burger jerky is arguably dangerous. I've made it; I'll make more in the future probably BUT I'm careful to use only my cleanest burger. In fact I label packages of burger to keep track of stuff that is jerky-worthy. Just IMHO.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You guys still stand by the statements you made a couple years ago about your grinders..? Still working, still happy with them..?

Any new problems with the grinders you purchased from Cabelas,Northern Tool, etc...?

I can't live without one for much longer.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by boatboy
I must say that I grind 80 percent of my deer. Of course I harvest the tenderloins and a small roast or two.
I started with a Kitchen Aid attachment and yes it works the mixer unit really heats up but again it works.
I bought a 1 HP Cabelas grinder with a #22 grinding unit and my Daughter and I cut our time significantly. We start with the course outlet and than mix up the meat and grind twice through the fine outlet.

I will tell you the most significant thing is having the meat cold it makes a huge difference in the grinding rate.

Its like when a guy buys a set of Swarovskis he may throw up shelling out the cash but once you have them normally a guy is happy. Yes I shelled out more than I wanted but now I have it I take care of it and if a friend need to do some grinding bring it over we will get it done.
Hank

+10 yeah boatboy, the 1 hp Cabelas grinder #22 only way to fly, had mine for 5 years now 6-7 animals a year really like it. If you grind the meat at 50-75% frozen it does a really uniform job. Anymore I just run the meat thru once with the coarse plate and use it for everything I need ground meat for. Magnum Man

Last edited by Magnum_Man; 10/23/11.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just ground 11# of antelope/lamb burger with the Kitchen Aide. Worked just fine and took little time.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

W
W
I bought the KitchenAid attachment ($40 with free shipping on Amazon). As was pointed out by others here there is lots of plastic involved (not the blades, of course), but it seems sturdy enough for the amount of grinding I intend to do. It did a great job making antelope chorizo a few weeks ago, so I'm happy. Basically, it made sense to me to use a powerful motor we already had and get something that doesn't take up much space. So far, so good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm another Kitchen Aide fan as well. I ground up 3 pronghorn last month with nary a hitch, just like it has for me for the past 6 years. May not be the fanciest, but since we already had the mixer I figured it was the best for the least alternative. Only thing I watch is to not let the motor get too hot. IMO, works as slick as I could need for our house hold needs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Be carefull which Kitchen Aid you use. Some of the newer kitchen aids are made with plastic gears inside and don't hold up too well to the stresses from the meat grinder. My wife's kitchen aid crapped out on me last year when grinding. Luckily it was still under warranty by one day, so we got a new kitchen aid. But, that's not an experience I want to repeat. "Honey, I broke your Kitchen Aid." Doesn't go over very well.

Deal with it.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
We usually end up grinding 3-6 deer-sized animals a year, along with an average of one moose or elk. Plus, my wife Eileen is a professional game cook and ends up making a lot of sausage, partly with the 2-3 wild pigs we usually get each winter in Texas. Have used a 1/2 HP Cabela's for several years now without problems, even when running 100 pounds of elk or moose through it. Dunno if it's exactly the same model anymore, but ours works fine.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
A couple years ago I bought a Northern Tool grinder due to the positive reviews in this thread. I have been very happy with it. It's areal work horse. We ground up most of the three antelope we shot this year, and it only took about 4 hours or so and we were not hurrying. I would definitely recommend it.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I was wishing I had my camera with me on Sat as we butchered my steer at my pard's house. He has a grinder that was in a grocery store at one time. It now has a 6 HP motor and makes short work of grinding duties. We made 120 lbs of burger.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The KitchenAid stand mixers, with a couple of exceptions, have a plastic "fuse" gear that is designed to be the point of failure with a heavy overload. I broke mine with an exceptionally heavy batch of dough. The plastic gear is easily replaced though. It's just getting harder to find an appliance repair shop of any kind.
Fortunately finding the part by internet was easy. So is the repair.
I find the grinder attachment is OK but if I was doing a lot of grinding, I'd get something else. Keeping the meat cold helps a lot.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
We've run a little cheap white grinder from WalMart the last 5 years. Does fine for what we need. I think it cost $69 or so.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Those will work until you have to do an elk or moose every fall--along with other stuff. Have burned out 3-4.

Over a few decades (some spent with a big hand-grinder) I found a real grinder works better--and quicker!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I used my Cabela's Club points to buy a 1 hp. #22 grinder five seasons ago. I wished I had bought one (or another professional type) years before I did when I think about all the time and energy wasted hand grinding venison.

I bought a small one, like the Walmart version, a few years before the Cabela's and took it back because the hand grinder was less work.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for all the replies.

Northern Tool has their Kitchener #12 meat grinder on sale for $109 and I received a coupon in the mail for $20 bucks off.

Went ahead and picked one up at the local store for $89 + tax. Don't think I could do any better than that.

All I need now is a deer to throw in it....

[Linked Image]

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Haven't read all the replies and don't have the NT. But I have used cheaper grinders, one from Cabela's and one from Basspro that I have, 200.00 and 100.00 each, I'm almost sure they have plastic gears. Anyway, through trial and error, with both. Trim most the sinew and silver skin off, tastes bad anyway... then 'drop' the chunks down the tube, don't push with handle. It'll grind faster than you can drop them and won't bind the cutter and gears.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 3/4hp Cabelas grinder I bought last Christmas is a dramatic step up in speed from my old $99 job I bought at Lowe's. It is also very quiet, so I can watch TV while I do the butchering. The comparison to my old grinder is honestly like comparing a big Mercedes sedan to a Chevy Cavalier. Both will eventually get you there, but one is definetely faster, smoother, quieter, and more durable.

My processing chores typically include 6-8 whitetails a year, often done in batches of 2-3 deer at a time (doe tags).

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cabelas 1 hp, lots of grinding the last several years. Elk, deer, pork, no problems.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Warn Pro very similar to the one deerwahcker bought in size and shape.... its does fine for grinding... but I have made 100-150 lbs of sausage with it and it SUCKS for that... dropping cut meat in for grinding id fine but trying to get already ground meat into that stupid little shoot is a royal PITA. I had these dreams of a all in one machine but I was wrong... next on my list is a stuffer...

Andrew
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 16gage, 55 invisible), 2,971 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,969
Posts18,519,631
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.