-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just got a used GLock 19 and tried it out at an indoor range. Not too happy though. Shooting at 5 yards, it shot low when I aligned the sights up with the forward white dot between the back sight. Furthermore, the "group" was paper plate size. I normally shoot revolvers and rifles and they aim and group much better. At this distance I would expect a group of 4" or so.

So what should I do? Can the sights be adjusted to raise the point of impact? I am considering getting a red-dot sight like the Leupold reflex sight but the $400 price is daunting.

Last edited by ConradCA; 10/24/11.

[Linked Image from ]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don�t mean this as a slight in any way, but chances are the problem is you. An out of the box Glock that doesn�t shoot to point of aim or very close to it is a rare item. My bet is you�re struggling with the Glock less than perfect trigger. Make sure you have a proper grip on the gun, and grip a bit tighter. Squeeze the grip until the gun begins to shake, then back off of your grip a touch. Engage the trigger at the first joint of the trigger finger and pull back S L O W L Y. The problem with shooting a DA gun is movement of the gun while manipulating the trigger. The fact that you�re shooting low tells me that you�re flinching (or anticipating) considerably�Again, not meant as a slight, everyone does it to some degree; just takes practice to make most of it go away.

Grip: Look at the grip on the Glock in this thread: http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/27...r-finger-questions-pic-heavy-page-3.html
Notice how the weak hand has the full palm of the hand on the gun. When you do that, you�re able to really bear down with your weak hand gripping the gun like a vice (still, not enough to make it shake).

Here�s the best dry fire practice you can do with your Glock. Place a penny atop the front sight and carefully raise the pistol up and align the sights. When you can pull the trigger 10 times without disturbing the penny, you�re pretty much there. Now you just have to repeat that performance on the range.

Once you get used to that stiff DA trigger on your new Glock, you�ll see that #1 � She probably does shoot to point of aim. #2 � She�s far more accurate than you ever thought she was.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yeah I'm with Kevin on this one. At 5 yds. there should be one ragged hole in the paper. While I don't own a Glock, I have shot plenty of them, and they shoot pretty much point of aim.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have never owned a Glock that didn't shoot where the sights were held. If you are shooting low then you can try a heavier bullet which will raise the groups most of the time. Have someone else shoot your pistol that has fired a glock. The glock trigger to a person that has no experience with one takes a little getting used . I'm betting the problem is your shooting and not the Pistol , but i could be wrong. Have someone else shoot your pistol and see if you get the same results.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Kevin is right on
Glock triggers are a "stroke " more than a break.
The practice of balancing a penny while dry firing is very good.

Try it and I bet your groups colapse to fist size the next time out.
And then get smaller from there.
Folks DO shoot them for bullseye with great results.

But there are aftermarket trigger tricks that help too.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never seen a Glock at a Bullseye match, but it's been a few years since I've been to one.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Place a penny atop the front sight and carefully raise the pistol up and align the sights. When you can pull the trigger 10 times without disturbing the penny...

Damn.

Doubt I could hold with a penny blanced on the front sight blade, let alone do it while squeezing the trigger.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Dry fire practice is your key.

Make sure to pay attention to the trigger cycle. Dry fire it enough that you are sure when the trigger should break.

Look at your finger and the gun when you pull the trigger. You may have a minute movement in your finger that's making the gun move slightly.

People tend to over torque a Glock's trigger, resulting in bad groups.

I have a 17, but I am more fond of revolvers. If I haven't shot the 17 for a while, it takes me a magazine or so before the muscle memory is re-learned. I think this is a pretty common problem for revolver shooters using a Glock.

Last edited by sargent; 10/24/11.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I too have had accuracy problems with double action pistols.....including the Glock. The solution in every case was the same....trade them for a 1911!!

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
YEP!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thats a glock trigger for you. You need to dry fire alot and learn how to do a trigger reset. TRIPLE CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOUR GLOCK IS UNLOADED, then proceed to put a dime or quarter on the slide, find a stack of phone books and practice 15 minutes a day dry firing! Trigger Reset is when you pull the trigger the first time and then allow the trigger to go forward approximately 1/4 of inch or so until you feel and hear a click, the trigger is now reset and can fire with only minimal pressure. To do this fire and keep the trigger depressed to the rear fully, at the same time rack the slide and allow the trigger to travel forward until you hear or feel the trigger reset. Once you get use to this method you will shoot fine. The glock 19's I have shot are finicky with ammo, the one I shot wouldn't shoot 115 winchester white box very well. It prefered Blazer Brass or UMC. Try different weights and brands. Ultimately the low shooting is you hold and trigger control not uncommon for first time glock shooters.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have a Glock armorer install a 3.5 lb connector and GREEN NY trigger spring for starters, does wonders for smoothing out the pull while maintaining the 5.5 pound pull weight.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

XL5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many new Glock shooters initially shoot low and left (with lefties it's low and right). It's a symptom of "milking" the trigger, squeezing it too tenuously and anticipating the break.

I'd been a long-time SAO guy and my first Glock also was my first DAO. It was patterning low and left so I took it to my 'smith to have the sights adjusted. He asked me, "Is it shooting low and left?" I said yes. He told me it 'twernt the gun.

So I bought four boxes of WWB, went to the range and shot all 200 rounds as fast as I could squeeze the trigger and stuff magazines. That cured me, and it was a helluva lot more fun than dry firing.

Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert
-- old German proverb
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Its common with the Glock trigger, almost as common as 1911 fans coming out of the woodwork to tell you what a mistake you've made buying anything other than what they have purchased.

Dry-firing is your friend, as are the Glock factory trigger mods mentioned above. I learned to shoot on DA S&W's and 1911s and when I shot my first Glock I was hitting low and left. Acclimating to the trigger solved the problem.

Last edited by Oregon45; 10/24/11.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Shooting at 5 yards, it shot low when I aligned the sights up with the forward white dot between the back sight. Furthermore, the "group" was paper plate size. I normally shoot revolvers and rifles and they aim and group much better. At this distance I would expect a group of 4" or so.

Stop trying to use the white dot as an aiming reference and align the tops of the front and rear sights to be level. White dots are placed on sights to draw your eye to them, they are not precisely placed aiming aids, hence the reason you don't see parts makers stating the exact levels of the dots on front and rear aftermarket sights. If have the expectation of shooting a 4" group at 5 yards with revolvers (you don't say if you are shooting DA or SA) then you should work on your fundamentals. Taking a class such as a NRA Basic Pistol course would allow you to have an instructor critique your form and give you tips on what you could do to improve your results. Everything boils down to basic fundamentals, and it it often difficult at best to critique someones application of those fundamentals over the internet. Having someone physically watch and critique every aspect of your shooting form allows them to see issues one often does not "feel" themselves doing. It also allows them to recommend different tips and techniques that can be further tailored to suit you. If you insist on trying to go it alone or via the internet, have someone else load magazines for you with live and dummy ammo intermixed in the same magazine so you can see what is happening with the sights as you operate the pistol. This is called the ball and dummy method and will show you what happens when the trigger breaks and you are anticipating the recoil of the fired cartridge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ConradCA
At this distance I would expect a group of 4" or so.

That's low expectations..........at that range, you should be able to get essentially a big ragged hole.

I'd suggest start working with a good 22 to improve your mechanics; when you are proficient with that, then more up to the centerfires............although, as others have pointed out the Glock trigger doesn't exactly make for fine accuracy.

MM

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

230 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 19 invisible), 1,671 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,998
Posts18,481,181
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.