-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
As the title sez, I need suggestions for scope mounts on a SAKO 85 short action ...and where to buy for the "best" deal.
Thanks
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I would bite the bullet and use Optilocks. There is a one piece version and a 2 piece.
If I were starting from stratch I'd try to find the one piece, that said I have had zero issues with the 2 piece.

They are expensive but should work well.

Not sure where to buy them, maybe search www.gunbroker.com , I bought a couple spare Sako magazines through dealers listed on that website.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

There is an quick detachable Optilock too. Return to zero good enough for most hunting distances.
Optilock are tough and reliable but a bit expensive (more expensive in Europe than in US because of taxes)

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looks like from what I saw on GunBroker looking at SAKO 85's from a couple different dealers...Optilock's are a SAKO or Beretta product... as more than one dealer offred them free with a new SAKO.

7-8 years ago I bought a new 695 Tikka from BassPro before the T3's came out and the only rings they had for the Tikka were Optilocks.

I cussed those rings 6 ways from Sunday 'cause they were never completely tight no matter what I did and allowed the scope to actually flop off from a 270's recoil at the range one time after the BP guns shop re-installed them a second time, the fall off created enough damage to the VX II they had to replace it. Then I wound up putting a FF II Burris on it and when I pulled that one off years later found where the Optilock rings misalignment had cut the Burris's tube up as well.

Hopefully what is out there in Optilocks these days is gotta be mo bettah than those experiences.

I looked at Midway and Graf and saw Talley's, and Leo's listed for this Sako. Never looked at Talley's for anything before and got a little confused - really easy to do these days sometimes too - about what I needed and what was what but the Leo's looked simple enough even for my ancient brain. Both brands looked to be about the same price at around $60+ IF I understood what I was looking at. What about Burris Signature's?

Later this week I'll call some the GB dealers I found and see what the Optilocks cost etc...but if I need to go another route is there anything better than a set of Talley's or Leo's for this shooter ?? 'cause it ain't gonna be a safe queen.
Thanks All
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If/When I have another Sako, it will be Talley Steel again.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I just bought a used 260 Sako 85 from Alex at Europtic, great guy to deal with.

I want to know if any makes a two piece weaver style base for teh Sako 85?? If not do the Leupold Sako rings work well. Thanks and good luck to all hunting. Spence

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've used Optilocks, Talley, and Leupold and would rate them in that order. The Optilocks seem to be well made and an integrated system for the Sakos. I would be interested in test driving a pair of ringmounts next.

Talley's are nice but I don't like the two seperate base and rings that don't exactly lock into the integrated rails on the reciever. They work well but I don't see the advantage over optilocks. Price is about the same too.

Leupold's system is horrible. I could never get them to mount correctly and they seemed easy to knock loose. It's a good idea that I think the Sako Ringmounts perfected.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sako makes a one piece Optilock Ringmount that you might consider. Leupold also makes a QR base that fits the Sako dovetail which allows you to use their QR rings. But I'd look at the Optilock options first, being either the Optilock Ringmounts, Optilock Quickmounts, or the standard base/ring Optilocks.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
+1 on the one piece Optilock Ringmount. Not cheap but that's what has worked well on my Sako 85 260. I tried the Talley mounts first, but the dovetail mount was apparently, not a snug fit and they quickly loosened. I'm a big Talley fan and this was the first application that they failed me. I use Talley's for most of my other rifles and they are great.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
F
F
Sako's Optilock mounts are very good quality, albeit a bit expensive. Warne quit making mounts for Sako 85's. I believe this leaves you largely with Leupold as the other option if you plan on using a ringmount that attaches directly to Sako's receiver rail. Perhaps I'm wrong but that's my best recollection at this point.

After looking around for the best price on Sako mounts, I got them from Brownells for $124 for 30mm Optilock's. Even the discount internet places I often get better prices from had a higher price. Here's the link for the set I bought:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=40689/product/RINGMOUNTS-SAKO-OPTILCK-30MM

IC B3

T
T
I just purchased a pair of S&K mounts for my sons Sako AV.
Have not used them yet. But they seems to be very well made and S&K was very helpful on getting the right mount for his gun. Not cheap but I think one of the better looking mounts for a Sako.

http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
So does any one make a weaver style base 2 peice for it, I like weaver bases and Burris Zee rings. Light and trim looking. Thanks for the help Spence

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
IOR Valdada does.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Any one tried the IOR ones??

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 49 invisible), 2,023 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,552
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.