Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
piero Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
hay, ya'll,iwas just wandering if anyone HAS an xl7 and some info like accuracy, possible problems, if it has a good stock, and the "feel" of the bolt.
oh,and i need a place to find a good thumb hole stock. i already checked boyds.

thanks, guys.

"8mm rem mag, reach out n' touch something"

"Those who say the .223 is weak probably have never heard of the "meat grinder".

SEMPER FI

Head practical joke coordinator of the turd-like people (aka the chitmonks)
GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I believe the only thumbhole stock is going to be from boyds. I have one of the xs7 models in 243 and really like it in stock form. With my barnes 85 gr tsx handloads, I have been getting around moa with imr4350.
Problems I have heard of include warped stocks( need to freefloat), extractors that break and plastic trigger guards that break if the screws are overtightened. None of which are too hard, or expensive to fix.

piero Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
thanks a ton and keep 'em commin' ya'll. i always love to see pics. what about the bolt? is it smooth? and the lockup?

thanks ya'll

Last edited by piero; 10/25/11.

"Those who say the .223 is weak probably have never heard of the "meat grinder".

SEMPER FI

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Bolt on mine has a little side to side play when back. It was what I would say was "average" out of the box. It is about the same as my 700, but not as smooth as my savage mod 12 fv was. I did find it helped to clean it well. Lockup is tight.

The only problem I see with the bolt is that I can't mount too low of rings on it or the bolt won't clear the scope.

The trigger is about 2.75 lbs right now. There was a slight amount of creep at first, but after 50 rounds or so that cleared right up. I really have to look for it to find any now, and it might be my imagination playing tricks on me.
I can't say it is the best rifle I own, but it is just about as accurate as the others and I only paid $300 for it. It also feels good in the hands, which hope to find helps with field accuracy.

Last edited by vabowhntr; 10/25/11.
piero Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
thanks again, and i see what you mean about the play in the bolt. a friend of mine has a 700 and it does that. funny thing, my handi will outshoot it any day of the week and twice on sunday. wink
btw, what budget scope o you recommend for the xl? i was thinking of 4-6x fixed pwr. also, if its not too much trouble could you post some groups? i just have a thing for nice dime size groups in paper. wink

SEMPER FI

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (Amos63, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 2500HD, 13 invisible), 1,636 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,824
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.