Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jorge,

The rear ham as opposed to the front shoulder? (Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)

Nice eland!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Geezus those things are HUGE! shocked

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would a 300 gr Nosler Partition be a good choice for cape eland?
Sure but a lot of overkill IMO.

Eland aren't exactly the toughest bulb on the tree!

Big maybe but a lot less gun will do fine as well

A .30-06 with 200 grain A-Frames is a fine start....and a lot lighter gun than most .375s!

Just because you're in Africa don't mean you need the .375 unless you're hunting dangerous game or unless you might need to defend yourself from same!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you shoot the 375 H&H well, use it. I've never been over-gunned and I've taken a steenbok with a 375H&H using the 300 grain TSX.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by vapodog
Sure but a lot of overkill IMO.

Eland aren't exactly the toughest bulb on the tree!

Big maybe but a lot less gun will do fine as well

A .30-06 with 200 grain A-Frames is a fine start....and a lot lighter gun than most .375s!

Just because you're in Africa don't mean you need the .375 unless you're hunting dangerous game or unless you might need to defend yourself from same!

vapodog, how many eland have you hunted?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've only hunted eland once, and with a 35 Whelen with 250 gr. North Forks. About 200 yds.

I have to admit that I stood in awe when I saw it. None of the reading, studying of these great animals prepared me for how truly large they are "in the flesh." For a moment I was wishing I had a 375 as many had suggested but, after my heart beat returned a bit closer to normal, I remembered that shot placement matters most.

He dropped like a sack of flour on the first hit (clipped the neck vertebrae)and required one close-up finishing shot.

Hunting the eland was definitely the highlight of my trip. Watching the tracker work his magic was amazing.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sorry, couldn't help myself-
Here is my Livingstone Eland, from 2009.
It was taken with a 429 gr. projectile,

In this case, a carbon arrow with a 100 gr. Muzzy broadhead....

[Linked Image]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NICE ELAND!
loving the ivory tips, good 'ol bull there, and you took him with archery is a plus imo

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great caliber, great bullet, smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ditto on that nice Eland. Bettin that a 30-06 on up with an A-Frame 180 would do the job...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Truly, the .30-'06 works, no doubt the .375 H&H works a heck of a lot better.

My problem was that, other than the eland, all of my other game was 1,000 pounds or less. And for that, the .30-'06 was surely adequate.

I ended up shooting a greater kudu that weighed a startling 1,003 pounds. It died in a hearbeat to a 180 Hornady.

Hey, the .30-06 is never a mistake, but in this case bigger is probably better.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hell, you can kill eland with a .270 or 7x57 if you get the right shot. But I have seen a really good 180-grain bullet from a .300 Winchester not penetrate beyond the shoulder joint on a big bull. Which is why a lot of people use a .375 H&H or another mid-30.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Wow, a lot of animal there for a bullet to "pulp up" on!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogzapper

I've fired precisely one round at an eland, so I know next to nothing about hunting them. For sure, they are huge critters and a medium or large bore would be appropriate.

Having said that, mine fell immediately to the ground, rolled over on his back and died with all four hoofs pointed to the sun. The kill was perhaps the most dramatic I have ever seen and/or witnessed.

Rifle =.30-'06

Bullet = Hornady 180-grain BTSP Interlocked.

Bullet Placement = The range was exactly fifty yards and the bull was quartering into my position, so I placed the bullet at the join of the neck and the shoulder. The bullet struck a vertabrae between the shoulder blades; destroyed the vertabrae, severed the spinal column and the bullet lodged under the hide on the far side ... weight of the recovered bullet is about 100-grains.

Weight of my eland = 1,069 Kg / 2,352 pounds, guts in and blood in at the farm's butchery.

And YES, the tenderloin is ABSOLUTELY MAGNIFICENT. We ate "steaks" made of the tenderloin that were four-inches thick, cooked in real butter over an iron-wood fire. Oh my goodness, that was the most amazing meat I have ever eaten.

Steve

[Linked Image]

dang.......those are some kind of BAC's (big azz critters)... wink

Amazing what the old 06/Horn combo will do aint it.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

270g TSX from a Ruger 375!

"To study without a book is to sail an uncharted sea, While to study only from books is not to go to sea at all" Sir William Osler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Great caliber, great bullet, smile

This combination did work great. Our longest tracking job was 70 yards on a heart-shot zebra.

To the OP: the two PHs in camp believe that the 30-06 or 375 is perfect for plains game (the Kalahari) with an edge going to the 375 if eland are involved. Mine was very impressed by the performance of the Whelen.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My experience with eland was one I shot this May. It weighed in at a tad less than 900 kg. I used a 7mm WSM w/ 160gr TSX. I got the shot a tad foreward and hit the humerus. The bull went about 80-90 yds and crashed, he couldnt really go on. The bullet stopped in the shoulder and a few fragments of bullet or bone penetrated the lungs, but the major artery in the shoulder was severed. An inch back and he'd of been down quick. Didnt have to track far, fortunately, as it was. My next trip will include my new Howa Ruger 375, just for the extra penetration and insurance. Theyre big animals and the extra 4-10" may be important. Would've helped in this case. Just my 2 pennies.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 375HH is legal and successful on elephant Rhino and Buffalo. Eland is a walk in the park. It's kinda like asking if a 30/06 is sufficient for Whitetails.

My 30/06 loaner in camp is used by close to one third of the hunters these days. It's killed upwards af a couple dozen Eland bulls, many in the 2000 lb range. Never lost one yet. I shot a Giraffe with it. All killed with 165grain bullets.

The question of the 375HH working should be put out of your mind and you can move on to other more important concerns now.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JJHACK
The 375HH is legal and successful on elephant Rhino and Buffalo. Eland is a walk in the park. It's kinda like asking if a 30/06 is sufficient for Whitetails.

My 30/06 loaner in camp is used by close to one third of the hunters these days. It's killed upwards af a couple dozen Eland bulls, many in the 2000 lb range. Never lost one yet. I shot a Giraffe with it. All killed with 165grain bullets.

The question of the 375HH working should be put out of your mind and you can move on to other more important concerns now.

Well said JJHACK...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
"other more important concerns now"

Yup, like coming up with the cash for the trip! grin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,578 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,607
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.