Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Tony;
Our family toured the factory two years ago and came away very impressed with the operation.

Since I've spent the last 20+ years in production, I can pick up on a few things by walking through a plant and the folks we saw working there were - in my opinion anyway - proud of what they were doing.

As to a decent EDC knife from them, we are very happy with the Vantage series they make.

Here's us in front of the factory with the knives we ended up with that day.
[Linked Image]

Since then I've picked up a couple Vantage Pro knives as well and am very pleased with them, though they were more than $30.

It's good to see any North American manufacturing doing well, so I hope Buck continues to thrive so I can take my grand kids there to buy them some knives someday.

All the best to you and yours Tony.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Aint nothing like a good Buck knife

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jim62
Originally Posted by Greyghost
The company should have cared more about continuing the quality of their product, instead they got greedy!

I've got no sympathy for them... help move quite a few companies to mexico back in the 70's when all this crap started, and a good majority of those I helped move back within a year or so...

Phil

It was not greed- it's the marketplace for lower end knives.

Most folks will not spend more than $29 on a working grade folding knife. PERIOD. Can't build them in the US to sell at that price point.

Schrade, and Camillus went BANKRUPT doing it. Bear and Sons tries, but their sub $50 knives are SCHIT for quality.

The only knives Buck outsourced were the $30 and under knives. NONE of their higher priced classic knives like the 110 folder and 119 fixed blades were ever made in China.

The smartest thing Buck Knives did was leaving CA. They KEPT 250 jobs in country by moving to IDAHO and now are doing well enough they are bringing even the low end stuff home.

I'd say they are doing as well as they can for themsleves, their customers, and the American worker.

If you want to be pissed off at something as a gunsmith, get on the telephone and ask Pachmayr and Hogue why they cannot even make a [bleep] $30 RECOIL PAD in the US- They are ALL made in Mexico.

Nothing like staring at a $14,500 Echols Legend rifle and knowing the pad was made in Mexico.

Pretty sad.

+1. Kudos to Buck. Have always carried one of their fixed blade skinners since I was a chap.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for them bringing back their production, but that doesn't change my mind on why they left...

Had it come to the point of them not being able to build a quality knife for $29, they should have up'd the price and given the public a choice of purchasing it, or not!

My view, I'd go down to Lowe's and purchase a quality box-cutter for $12 that was made in the U.S. before purchasing a cheap Chinese made pocket knife...

The last Buck I purchased, at least a folder was in 1982 and I believe I paid $39.50 for it back then....

Hell for at least ten years, people have been paying nearly a $100 for a multi-tool...

Nope I see it as just bad decisions and greed, looking for more profits where they thought they could get away with it.

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same as most above. Have a Buck Stockman bought in 1972, almost 40 years later I still haven't found much else that will keep an edge like that. Got a 110, of course, and two Buck Dukes (one used and one still brand NIB - they quit making them) with a drop point like they should'a made the 110.

Might have to go out and buy a Woodsman as a tip of the hat to them. wink

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Excellent news.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the rank and file purchased their product this would never happen. Chalk it up as a positive side effect of being in the business of not selling to libs.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any company that shifts production to China is merely funding the genesis of their future competition. It's good to see that some of our companies are starting to figure that out.

+1 on the Woodsman. I had forgotten what a sweet little knife that was. I may have to pick one up as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now if they would stop using crappy 4xx steel in their blades.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
IMHO, Buck has been irrelevant for quite awhile now in terms of performance, materials, f/f, etc...

Regardless of where they are making their stuff, why reward mediocrity?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a Woodsman with the rosewood handle and brass bolsters, it's a sweetheart.

`Bring Enough Gun`
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by add
IMHO, Buck has been irrelevant for quite awhile now in terms of performance, materials, f/f, etc...

Regardless of where they are making their stuff, why reward mediocrity?

You damn sure have not used any Buck Knives lately.

They were the FIRST large scale knife producers to use 154Cm and S30V in sub $100 knife.

Their folders like the Vantage are VERY well made knives, and are made in S30V with G-10 scales for less than $60. Nothing "mediocre" about them.

I used a BuckLite model last year hunting. It's a great design and cost less than $30. It kicked the ass of several European knives at up to twice the price .

Pauls Bos ,who headed Buck's heat treatment shop for over 40 years has forgotten more about heat treating blades than most custom makers will ever learn.

Last edited by jim62; 10/25/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
GOOD! Now all my 'chinese' Buck knives will become collectors' items.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
If only uncle henry and schrade will do the same, I've always liked their knives

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought this one 35 years ago at the PX, has always kept a sharp edge with no problem. I bought a new Buck gentleman's knife (with "Made in USA" printed prominently on the box) two weeks ago to give as a retirement gift to a friend. I have found Buck knives to be consistently good for many years.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I intend to get me another one at the first opportunity.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Buck knives have been among my favorites for almost 40 years. While I've bought several Buck knives in the last few years, I've stayed away from the ones made in China. It is good to read that Buck is bring back more of their product line to the USA. Now, if more companies would do the same...

Last edited by TNrifleman; 10/26/11.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Odessa, is that the "Pathfinder"?

Originally Posted by Odessa
Bought this one 35 years ago at the PX, has always kept a sharp edge with no problem. I bought a new Buck gentleman's knife (with "Made in USA" printed prominently on the box) two weeks ago to give as a retirement gift to a friend. I have found Buck knives to be consistently good for many years.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Triggernosis; 10/26/11.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If that is true, they`ll have to over come the out-sourcing stigma before any increase in demand will be realized. Who knows how long that will take. Looks like their PR people will be working over time on that.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Great story. I had stayed away from any new Buck knives recently due to the China aspect, but I will look back at them for any new blades!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1minute, 160user, 21, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,856
Posts18,478,514
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.