Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have hunted in RSA with a lever action rifle (Savage 99) in the past with no questions. In reading Boddington's Safari Rifles II, he states lever actions are now prohibited. Anyone know the scoop. JJ? Mark?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Apart from semi-auto rifles this is the first I have heard of it.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I hope not, as I know of multiple folks who are planning to use lever guns there in 2012. In fact there has been an annual Leverguns.com hunt there for the last few years and another is planned for 2012. One member used his Marlin .45-70 there just two months ago. I will check with my SA outfitter on this.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have always wanted to take a model 88 or 99 clip feed 243 with me for a baboon shoot. Such a rifle would be about ideal, short of an AR-15 which would NOT be allowed in, for thinning out a troupe.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
BS - I just returned from RSA yesterday with my 450 Marlin. I went to the Natal province with it to do the PH certification course (passed) at the Goss PH Academy and then hunted for 5-days.

The course had a section that reviewed the current South African and Natal Province gun temp import/export laws, action limitations/restrictions and caliber limitations. They currently contain no such lever action limits/restrictions.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Chris Troskie Safaris regularly holds group lever gun Safaris for enthusiasts. He also caters for hunting from horses.

http://www.ct-safaris.com/

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
hatari, I have the same book, Safari Rifles II. I've read it several times. I can't find anywhere in the book where he states that lever actions are prohibited. Would you kindly point out the page where he said this?

BTW, went to the limpopo in 2008 and took 7 head of plains game with my 45-70 Guide Gun.

maddog

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Maddog,

I'm at the office and the book is at home right now. If I recall, I was reading around page 279. Look for Boddington's line about South Africa's "draconian gun laws". It was on a right hand page.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Three years ago I took my family to the Eatern Cape of SA and the landowner had a Sako Finnwolf in 243 he called his John Wayne gun. My oldest son asked if he could use it and shot several springbuck with the lever gun.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Strange that Craig would put that in his book if he wasn't sure. I'm going to send him an email on it.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
hatari, I went back and looked at the leveraction section of the book, and still couldn't find anything about RSA prohibiting lever actions. The only thing I found prohibited is semi autos.

maddog

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Did you find the quote about the "draconian gun laws"? I'll look again tonight.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
It's on page 283:

"Well, OK, there is one consideration: At this writing South Africa's increasingly draconian gun laws specifically prohibit lever actions (and slide actions, and semiautos!)."

Craig Boddington, Safari Rifles II , p. 283 (2009).

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's the quote! I was only four pages off. Not bad from memory.

Just got and Out of Office reply from Craig. It seems he's "out of the country" until Nov 12th, Hopefully in a nice camp and free from editors deadlines. I think I hate him wink

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'll be damned. I looked it up and saw it. Craig may be wrong, or else the police haven't read their own regs. grin

I used a GG in 2008.

maddog

The only types of rifles that are prohibited by law to use for hunting in South Africa are .22 rimfires and self-loading weapons i.e. fully and semi automatic weapons. Lever action rifles do not fall into this category.

We have been hosting lever action enthusiasts on an annual "levergun hunt" for 7 years now (after the new gunlaws came into effect) and have successfully imported clients' weapons successfully without fail.

Quite a few of my friends and colleagues own and hunt with lever action rifles... In fact one just recently imported a 45-70 guide gun that was given to him as a tip after our 2009 levergun hunt.

So in reply to the original question - Lever Action rifles are legal to hunt with - save those chambered in .22 rimfire.

Regards,

Chris

Chris Troskie
www.ct-safaris.com
Better than sitting in the Office!
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Tell us about the .22 rimfire ban? Strange.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Chris,
Thank you for the added clarification.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by hatari
Tell us about the .22 rimfire ban? Strange.

IIRC, doesn't the .22 ban have to do with the fact the caliber is a favorite of poachers?

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[/quote]IIRC, doesn't the .22 ban have to do with the fact the caliber is a favorite of poachers?[/quote]

Not only that, but also the wounding factor. Some years ago one of the forum members who hunted with me me via JJHACK and I caught a couple poachers shooting impala off the side of the road.

The amazing thing is that silencers/suppressors are very legal. I have one on my 22 and shoot birds with it while sitting in a bow blind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 19rabbit52, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 3,122 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,312
Posts18,526,268
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.