-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"Dogs chasing and running game = dead dog. Hillbillys and back woods toothless scofflaws are of little concern."

Sad to see that you have such a low opinion of someone who uses hunting dogs. You are certainly not someone I would want to associate with.

Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, those little "beetles", as the locals like to call 'em, can work a deer pretty good. Much slower than Walker hounds which makes for a much more enjoyable hunt usually.

I grew up hunting deer with dogs in eastern NC, but with all the development I feel that those times are all but over. About the only feasible places left are the Croatan Forest and other large tracts of land.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Must be a tolerance issue on the dogs, but living in the central part of the state where deer/dog hunting is not legal, I understand that once in a while a good rabbit dog goes rogue and winds up after deer.

Still can't bring myself to whack em, even if they ruin my deer hunt. But I will try to recover them, now that the hunting is disrupted, and take them back to the owner, with a little conversation as well.

Of course, I may be one of those backwoods toothless scofflaws (well actually, I have all my teeth sans two wisdom teeth).

Love dog hunting of all sorts. Fox's, rabbits, birds, and yes, even deer. Bear and hogs too. Love it all. Coon hunting is the best.

I'd stop hunting to retrieve a hunting dog laid up in a snakey swamp if the owner needed help. Come to think of it, I have.

That said, the only thing I hope is that all dogs are collared - otherwise they're feral and treated like coyotes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RWE, if a pack of dogs runs through the area where you are deer hunting, stay put. Except for the specific deer that are being pursued, the dogs have little effect. I've seen it time and again that after the noise settles down, the "other" deer will start moving normally again.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
RWE, if a pack of dogs runs through the area where you are deer hunting, stay put. Except for the specific deer that are being pursued, the dogs have little effect. I've seen it time and again that after the noise settles down, the "other" deer will start moving normally again.

T,

I have in the past. But my neighbors have changed, and they may not be as courteous with regards to the dogs welfare.

Call me a softy.

I'm lucky enough to have my hunting land in the back yard, so a spoiled day isn't that big of a deal. If pressed for time, I simply sit on the roof and watch the cut corn field, like other backwood scofflaws would do. laugh

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I saw an enormous buck caught out in the middle of a field one day, on my way to Grandma's house (day before deer season started). Caught flat-hooved crossing an open field, he laid down behind a small oak sapling, and nearly disappeared, if I hadn't seen him to begin with, I'd never have known he was there. Once he crossed the road I was traveling down, he was safe on a resort lake property.
I saw him the next day, on that property, just looking around. He was B&C material, easy.
Saw another, and a couple of does, drop in a pasture and hid behind some sprigs of grass, and again, if I hadn't seen him in the first place, you'd never know he was there.

Northern Missouri is an educational place.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Here, in West Virginia, if a dog or dogs are chasing deer....dead dog or dogs. No questions asked. I've seen and heard where a person will "Lose the dogs" to mess with the deer hunters.

99savage308

..NRA Life Member ..

.."There are only two things in life worth having. A woman from anywhere and a fine Swiss watch."..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's too bad. I think dogs improve deer hunting by keeping the deer moving.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
The buck survived this chase.

Just as well, being torn apart by a pack of three fat beagles seems a particularly gruesome way to go.... eek

Yeah! If I'm gonna be tore apart by beagles, I want 'em to be in shape!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16gage, 56 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,173
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.