Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Oregon45
It's on page 283:

"Well, OK, there is one consideration: At this writing South Africa's increasingly draconian gun laws specifically prohibit lever actions (and slide actions, and semiautos!)."

Craig Boddington, Safari Rifles II , p. 283 (2009).

checked this against the Fire arms control act, cant find a problem with lever actions

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
GB1

D
dae Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Anyone know for sure about the slide actions?

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I received an answer from Craig. His attention is always appreciated.

Hmmmm. Lever actions are technically illegal, but my understanding is they don't actually enforce that rule with visiting sportsmen. So you can probably get away with it, but it might depend somewhat on which inspector you get, so it's a bit dicey. It would probably be best to apply in advance rather than do the permit when you arrive...once you have it, then it's good to go.
Regards, Craig

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a great respect for Craig, but I think he may be mistaken in this instance. he may have written his book based on a draft of regulations being debated but not yet passed.

I have reviewed the entire RSA Fire Arms Control Act that was passed in 2004. RSA Fire Arms Control Act of 2004 and the RSA Fire Arms Control Act On-line RSA Fire Arms Act On-line and the RSA Fire Arms Control Bill of 2006. RSA Fire Arms Contol Bill 2006

Nowhere within those documents do they indicate lever action rifles being prohibited from being owned by RSA residents/citizens or being temporarily imported by non-RSA citizens/residents for the purpose of hunting or sport shooting events/activities. The only long weapons they specifically prohibit are fully automatic rifles.

Now, that said, there are 9 separate provinces in RSA and each province has individual "Ordinances" that govern "hunting" to include minimum calibers and/or muzzle energies for various size of game. They can also limit the "actions". For example the Natal province allows the use of semi-automatic shotguns for "game birds", duiker and bushbuk so long as it is "permanently" modified to only fire a maximum of two rounds without reloading and the minimum caliber for "dangerous game" is 375 H&H Mag with zero mention of a minimum "muzzle energy".

It is also my understanding there is a "new" Fire Arms Control Act being proposed, but has not yet been approved.

If someone has links to documents that counter my info I would love to review them since the info above was contained in the Natal Province PH exams I took (and passed) 10-days ago.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
m3 I think you about have it right and this matter can now be laid to rest. Bring a lever action and come and hunt.

IC B2

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Great to get such good info on the Fire. Many thanks to all, especially those of you in RSA. Looks like my son will get to use his .250 on buck after all.

As someone who dabbled with writing, I know you are only as good as the information available at the time. Whatever document Craig read, I'm sure he was certain about it, and would be pleased to know things are not as restrictive as was presented to him. Things change.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have just had 3 licenses approved (October 2011) for 3 Savage model 99's (22HP, 250 & 300) all 3 were approved for hunting purposes. Anyone coming out to South Africa with a 99, please bring me some brass!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just hunted the east cape area of RSA in May, using my model 88, in 308. No one even blinked at it, and flew through. The PHs had never seen one, and were impressed with it.

Redhawk, what are the restrictions on sending you some brass? When I came over in May brought my PH a box of 458 Lott brass, and a number of different bullets. No problem getting them through.

Ghost
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by ghost
I just hunted the east cape area of RSA in May, using my model 88, in 308. No one even blinked at it, and flew through. The PHs had never seen one, and were impressed with it.

Redhawk, what are the restrictions on sending you some brass? When I came over in May brought my PH a box of 458 Lott brass, and a number of different bullets. No problem getting them through.

No restrictions on brass or bullets only ammunition, primers & powder; luckily primers & powder are readily available at local dealers. Bullets a bit more difficult as they are imported in batches so you can't always get the specific bullets you want or are used to using. When a batch lands just try & buy what you can, luckily there are only a handful of agents locally so not too difficult to keep tabs on their imports. Point in question for .257 I can currently get 4-5 different 100gr bullets but no 85-90gr (hunting not varmint) bullets. Called every dealer I can trace in South Africa.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (219DW, 1badf350, 160user, 1941USMC, 1lessdog, 222ND, 54 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,385
Posts18,506,756
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.