-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Obviously many of them work and work well, we each gravitate to some favorite for a variety of reasons.

FWIW, I�ve been soaking my bores overnight with Montana Copper Killer, and I do mean soaking. I plug the chamber with a bit of plastic grocery bag around a patch, squirt a good three or four eye droppers worth of Copper Killer in from the muzzle and then cover the muzzle with another doubled up square of plastic held by a rubber band. I turn the rifle up and down, roll it over and so forth to thoroughly coat the bore, then leave it sitting horizontally. Occasionally during the evening or next day I�ll turn it over or upside down or whatever so the solvent has a chance to work on all areas of the bore.

Next night, take off the muzzle cover and turn it down, a stream of dark blue liquid pours out. Three or four dry patches to clean out any remaining solvent and then a patch of my current favorite gun oil down the bore.

This really cleans out everything I can see since it puts a lot of reactant into the bore to dissolve the copper. Before, even after running patch after patch after patch of copper solvent, you�d still have a couple of little fine streaks of copper visible in the muzzle. Now, with a thorough soaking, there isn�t one spec of copper anywhere near that muzzle, and (after cleaning out the old solvent), if you run a new patch of copper solvent back and forth a couple of times it comes out white as snow, not a hint of blue on it.

I like it cause it�s easy peasy, no time consuming patching or brushing or elbow grease involved and it works better than any other method I�ve tried over the last 45 years.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Best copper cleaners, in order of best performance to worst:

1) Outers Foul-Out system (electro-chemical bore cleaner)

15) Everything else.
laugh

Seriously, though, Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner works very well, as do the abrasives cleaners like JB Bore paste, Montana Extreme Copper Cream, Flitz, and KG-2 (aka Browning Bore Polish). I hear great things about KG-12, but I've never used it myself.

Also, for anyone who lives near a Sportsman's Warehouse (or various other stores, I'm sure)-- Unless I'm badly mistaken, the KG-1, KG-2, KG-3, and KG-4 products are also available as Browning's bore cleaning/maintenance products. Too bad they don't have a re-labeled KG-12...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Wipe Out used with the accelerator works so well I have not used anything else the last 5 years. It works for me.

Haven't used it that long and do not clean them down to bare metal very often. But since the 223 needs some TLC, just buy some wipeout and call it good (quick and EASY too).

RH

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I reccomend Wipeout, the best copper cleaner I have used so far.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wipeout

WildonepassblasergunkblasterAlaska ��2002-2011

Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine t�tige Unwissenheit.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by MZ5
Best copper cleaners, in order of best performance to worst:

1) Outers Foul-Out system (electro-chemical bore cleaner)

I have one of those and never use it. It's slow and messy. And, IMHO, not as impressive as newer products, like Wipe Out.

IMHO,

DF

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Having tried nearly all the newer products, I assure you it's a LOT more impressive than all of them combined if you have a truly problem barrel.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
John Barsness, our own Mule Deer here.

He's often mentioned how he likes to while away those long Montana winter nights with a rod and brush and scrub and scrub and scrub those bores... wink

You must have missed his current museing's........"shoot TAC and you wont have to clean for the life of the barrel"

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
I use Boretec Eliminator with good results

+1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by FredWillis
I noticed you did not mention carbon deposits being the culprit for inaccuracy. I have found carbon to be the first thing to pay attention to when needing to bring back accuracy. I have half a dozen varmint rifles and copper fouling is minor with all of them. Try some Gunk Brand Brake Cleaner is a spray can for carbon, spray, brush and patch. Repeat until the patches come out clean as there can be numerous layers of carbon.

Most copper remover's dont do a good job with carbon, once in a while you need to get all the carbon out. try boretec C4 carbon remover works great and no smell.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Dont use the foamers either unless you have a bore guide that keeps the foam and gunk from getting back into the lug area.

Swifty

Use Patch Out with the Accelerator. It works just as well as the foam without the mess.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wipeout liquid, then Wipeout foam overnite....cleans em back to normal. Its all I ever use now.
JB bore paste or the other brands are great for tough copper also.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Many of the older ammonia-based copper solvents have a water base, and will indeed become hygroscopic after 15-20 minutes as the water evaporates. The newer ammonia-based solvents use an oil base, and can be left in safely. Among these are the Montana Extreme and Wipe-Out products. I've tested both using a bore-scope and have found they both work very well, but the Montana Copper Killer works fastest.

How much powder fouling affects bore fouling depends, of course, on how cleanly the powder burns. Some of the newer powders don't leave much fouling, and some even contain a de-coppering agent. A bore-scope shows these work pretty well.

I love bore-cleaning so much that the only powders I use anymore are very clean-burning, and the only solvents I use are those that can be left in the bore overnight, working their chemical magic while I sleep.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I use KG12 for copper and KG1 for Carbon. Good stuff IMO.

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by CLB
I use...KG1 for Carbon. Good stuff IMO.

That is nice to hear, as I picked up a bottle with the Browning Step 1 label on it the other day.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,397
Posts18,488,893
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.