Print Thread
Hop To
V
VAhuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I planned to leave the factory trigger alone on my M70 EW, but after shooting it beside a couple other rifles at the range, I now plan to adjust it. Anything special to watch out for when adjusting the MOA trigger? Any special sequence in replacing the action screws...torque specs, etc?

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
GB1

V
VAhuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
OK should have looked at the owners manual first as it gives instructions and torque specs. Can the weight adjustment screw just be removed all together?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I adjusted my .308 EW soon after getting it a year and a half ago. You have to carefully scrape the epoxy used by the factory to retain the screw, then loosen (counter clockwise). I don't know about removing the screw, but why would you want to? Mine took about one full turn to get it like I like it. I just put a dab of epoxy back on the screw head and have been good to go ever since. I think you're gonna like your rifle.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
V
VAhuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by lastround
I adjusted my .308 EW soon after getting it a year and a half ago. You have to carefully scrape the epoxy used by the factory to retain the screw, then loosen (counter clockwise). I don't know about removing the screw, but why would you want to? Mine took about one full turn to get it like I like it. I just put a dab of epoxy back on the screw head and have been good to go ever since. I think you're gonna like your rifle.

Thanks for the reply. I do like the rifle and liked the trigger until I shot it at the range the other day alongside a couple of my other rifles.

The reason I asked about the weight adjustment screw is because, in the owners manual, it says in bold: "Notice! The trigger pull weight screw will fall out when the trigger has been adjusted to its minimum pull weight of 3 pounds."

Before I do the job I need to find another torque wrench as the lowest setting on mine is 10 foot pounds.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My EW measured 3.5 lbs out of the box.

IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I backed mine out about as far as I dared and it felt pretty good. I had already ordered an Ernie's spring, but decided not to install it. I put a little blue Loctite on it and called it good. I recently got around to buying a trigger pull gage and it says 2 3/4 pounds.

[Linked Image]
V
VAhuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by OldForester
I backed mine out about as far as I dared and it felt pretty good. I had already ordered an Ernie's spring, but decided not to install it. I put a little blue Loctite on it and called it good. I recently got around to buying a trigger pull gage and it says 2 3/4 pounds.

Did you torque the action screws back in any specific sequence?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get an Ernie the Gunsmith trigger spring and stick in it.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
The interior dimensions of the spring housing are such that you can remove the trigger pull screw completely and get the lightest pull intended by the factory. On mine, that was still close to 4 lbs, so I put in an Ernie spring, which got me to about 3. YMMV. I just took the screw out, it serves no function unless you want to make the pull heavier.

I also put a little molybdenum disulphide on the release point of the sear per Ernie's advice. On mine that lightened the pull another few ounces and made the pull more consistent.

Last edited by PeaEye; 10/29/11.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (204guy, 12344mag, 257wthbylover, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 57 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,505
Posts18,509,229
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.