-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

First year with the 1300 Winchester. Was more out of frustration than actually aimed shots. Given a 12 year old with a new shotgun and $3/box foster slugs, it was fairly contained.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I popped 7 RWS caps on a percussion rifle on one deer. All while lying in a harvested cornfield in freezing damn cold! Ran out of light finally and let it walk. Actually, I didn't let it, I couldn't stop it.

Anyway, that was the very last time Pyrodex was ever poured down one of my barrels.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
20 each rifle. This was witnessed by my son who did not have tag and was along for the enjoyment of a hunt. Two friends in Wyoming 2 years ago saw a large bull elk up a mountain ridge. They estimated the range at 500 yards and each took turns shooting at that elk. One was shooting a 270 Win and the other a 300 mag. The each emptied a full box of shells without the bull moving. He just watched them from his high perch. After they were out of ammo, he slowly stolled up and over the top of the ridge. Later when I had range finder with me we checked out the distance and the range finder showed 1500 yards to the clump of trees near his position.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
6 and still didnt make a kill

7mm/08 death punch
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Four for me. Not one of my best moments for sure. We all still laugh about it from time to time. At least I am good for a laugh once in a while. I did get the deer though. A nice doe on the Friday after Thanksgiving, while hunting the Blue Ridge Mountains in Ashe County N.C.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
5 for me. Hunting in the open spaces of ND when I spot an averageish 4x4 whitetail headed for the draw I was walking the far side of. I watched as he came from 7-800 yards away and I fired my first round as he closed to about 150 and was entering the draw. I saw him flinch and heard the bullet hit but this deer was on a mission and kept hauling tail. He kept running and I kept shooting & hitting. On my 4th shot he finally dropped. After I closed the 80 yds to where he went down I discovered that I'd need a finishing shot. The autopsy revealed 2 shots to the lungs, 1 to the liver and the 4th shot that dropped him was at the base of the neck.

This buck had been chased from somewhere and was obviously jacked up on adrenelin

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
blush well when i was 16 i was at the farm in eastern ky hunting. That morning all i saw was a small doe so i let het go. Well around 10 i get hungry and head towards camp. I decided to walk the ridgeline and when i get to the top i look across the hill about 325 yards away is a respectable 11pt graseing i drop to my knee take aim with my remington 700 270 and fire. Hit low and hit a leg so i fire again miss next round through the back ribs and now hes running fire again miss and am outa ammo had 1spare round in my poket throw it in and head that way i see him stand up in the edge of a thicket so i aimed about 150yds now fire. Hit him in the neck and he falls. I walk up and hes kicking and at this point im hateingmyself for poor shooting so i pull my 357 one threw the head and it was over. So 6shots fired 4hits.

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't even want to talk about it. It was bad, but I got the deer.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Five, at the nicest buck I'd seen in a long time at about 100 yards. He just stood there watching the idiot make noise until he got bored and trotted off. Seriously contemplated wrapping the rifle around a nearby fence post. It was wet enough that I couldn't see any dirt kick up so it was a grand mystery.

Return to my cousin's place, shoot at a 60 yard target on a stand, and dirt kicks up about 40 yards out. Bases tight, rings tight, had checked zero just a few days before. Scope crapped out on the ride 150 miles down the Interstate between the last shot at the range and the next shot at the buck.

Typical for my luck deer hunting, once had a transfer bar on a shotgun break on the last shot sighting in and didn't find out until I had a chip shot at a meat doe. Of course I haven't seen an equal or nicer buck since. Not even when I had an antlerless only tag.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2 while hunting.

A whole damn bunch while collecting deer for research with a permit at night. Amazing how many times you can shoot at a deers head and they won't run off.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
7 or 8 slugs from an Ithica Deer Slayer 12ga. 45 or so years ago. Remember it plain as day. Deer was feeding along a stone wall. Shot 5 times reloaded shot 2 or 3 more, I was out of ammo. Deer never reacted, just kept feeding out of sight. shocked

Ed
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
5 when I was a teen and slug hunting. deer ran by me in a draw, I shot 4 times and he stopped at 100 yards, aimed for the shoulder, hit him in the neck. damned rifled slugs from a smoothbore shotgun.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
5 on my very first deer with a old Winchester made Sears catalog
30-30 carbine lever action.I think it was the Ted Williams model with the 16 inch barrel.I was young back in 1983 and my eyes were
able to see that tiny brass bead front sight easy!
I got up late on a Sunday Morning and was not going to go hunting that day.
It was at the end of our season here in Alabama late Jan.
I had burned all my Vacation at work trying to get my first deer.
I had bought a old Chief compound bow for Bow Season and the
30-30 for the gun season.
I had hunted hard all season and had not seen s##t.
I went the final day just to finish what I started and had already called a guy to sell him all my hunting stuff!
Gun,,Tree stand,The works.
I saw nothing that morning as always and I walked down the hill to a stream to get some water to drink.
As I was lying on my belly slurping the cold water I heard leaves crunching.I looked up and saw a Buck!
It wa trotting alond a ridge top about 70+ yards away and I was flat on my belly with my lever carbine by my side.
I knew I had no chance at this deer but I thought
"What the h#ll" and popped to my knees while lifting the gun.
The buck took off and I shifted my aim at a opening between 2 trees about fifty yards in front of him,praying he would stay on his path.
When I saw his shadow come from behind the first tree I shot Chuck Conners style as fast as I could all five rounds.
I finished shooting,Nothing!!!!!!
No deer at all!!!!!!!!!
I was cussing at myself and about to wrap the gun around a tree
when I heard a thud and the buck came sliding down the ridge right at me!
He had fell back behind the first tree when I opened up on him.
My first 3 shots had hit him in the shoulder and lungs,the 4 th shot took off his left side 4 pt rack,The 5 th shot hit him in the butt.
My first and only buck too this day.
AMRA

Molan Labe
Deer, 4 shots a couple times. Hit them on the first and then on their death run I kept shooting... no need for them but... Almost all of my deer/elk have been one shots.

Pronghorn, now that is a whole different story. The buck I got was 15 or 16 rounds from my gun and 4 from a strangers :-(
Condensed long story, I wounded him from 200 yards on first shot then couldn't get close enough without a running shot till I ran out of shells. On the way to the local town, I asked group of hunters if I could buy some shells from them for my rifle. They didn't have any but came along and let me use their gun.
Talk about embarrassment! I know they still talk about the dumb@$$ that couldn't hit the broadside of a barn while standing inside of it. I used to give my dad cr@* for using more than a couple rounds but after that hunt I have zero space to talk...

Hunting is where you prove yourself
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Three for me. Definitely one of the strangest hunts I've ever had was opening day of rifle in 1998. I think I was sitting on a hill side over looking a creek bottom and its 320 yards long and almost as wide . This was about the time that people had figured out that the ostridge and emu buiness was over and they were just turning them out and letting them roam free and I had seen one in the area . Well, about sun-up a doe ran out into the open at the far north edge of the bottom running to the east with a nice buck behind her. So the MD 700 7 mm mag spoke and the deer turned south coming towards me, the mag spoke again but the deer aint listening. The doe lead the buck closer to me and turned east into the timber down a cow trail. Now about 120 yards the buck is broadside, the mag speaks again, but buck shows no sign of being hit. The doe comes back out of the timber but the buck does not. I wait a few minutes and go to the last spot I shot at the buck. I find a long white hair and small drops of fresh blood . I continue along the trail into the timber as it curves to the east . The sparse blood trail disappears and is replaced by large spots of dried blood and lots of it. I'm puzzled by this. How could this blood have dried so quickly? I stay on the trail and about forty yards up is a dead emu . Now I'm wondering if I'm in an episode of the "Twilight Zone " I know I shot at buck, not a super sized turkey!! As I stand looking around, scratching my head, wondering what has just happened, I see a buck bedded just to the south of me. Instantly I raise my rifle and as the deer stands, I shoot him quartered to me and it runs straight at me full speed but at about twenty yards the buck begins to cartwheel head over hooves and lands at my feet. Its a spike!

Now I'm really jacked up. This is NOT the deer I had shot chasin the doe ! I continue to look for the first buck with no luck. The next fall I go back to this area to cut fire wood and 300 yards south of the emu incident is a bucks rack and skull buried in the grass. And that's my story and I'm stickin to it !

Now I try not to shoot at running deer and take more time tracking. So there it is and I will hang my head in shame.

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TomA
As a youngster about 8 years old, I emptied my Winchester 94 30-30 shooting at a deer. Probably would have got him if I pulled the trigger. Yep, Buck Fever, I jacked all the rounds out without ever pulling the trigger. Don't tell anyone. Tom

A buddy of mine was using his grandads old 92 winchester in 38/40. Don't remeber how many shells it held but he levered them all out in the middle of a jeep trail. In front of witnesses. 50 years ago. still gets reminded about it..

Oh yeah, the buck walked off laughing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One.

The first 8 or so deer I shot were harvested with a muzzle loader (with irons) due to a lack of private land to rifle hunt on, and no desire to rifle hunt public land.

Even when I crossed over to rifle and handgun hunting, the discipline you get from KNOWING your first shot is your only shot carried over. Add in a scope and it seems easy to wait on a shot you know you can make.

FWIW, I have never shot at a full-out running deer. I don't plan to start anytime soon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
6 at a yearling doe that was all ready wounded. Hunting up by Lake Kabetogama in Northern Minnesota. My no-brother-good-in-law grazed one with his rifle. We were hunting in some really thick crap so I was carrying my 870 slug gun. Doe comes running right by me doing about mach 5. I dumped all 5 rounds in the gun at her and never even came close. She stopped about 40 yards out and I slipped another one in the gun and shot her cleanly in the neck, just about decapitating her. Just then another doe came into view, saw me and swapped ends going back from whence she came. I got another slug in the gun and threw one at her too just for good measure. She ran right past another hunter and he executed a perfect Texas heart shot with his .300 Weatherby Mag. He tried to pawn her off on us-all 50 lbs of her. Of course that's 50 lbs. prior to getting her azz shot off. I doubt he ever hung a tag on that deer.

Last edited by gophergunner; 10/29/11.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, AdventureBound, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,731 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,450
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.