Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Any one know anything about the USMC US Military GORETEX -30 MODULAR SLEEPING BAG SLEEP SYSTEM MSS. Im thinking about getting a sleeping bag and trying to find the best value. Im willing to look at other brands, makes/models.

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
good luck finding a REAL usmc issued item for sell, and if you do get one have fun carrying that cinder block.

- a man who is recently back from deployment and carried/slept in the Modular sleep system

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Here's a lead: USMC Modular System

MtnHtr

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That thing is best for the back seat of your truck, not for your pack. That green patrol bag just might disassemble itself, depending on who the subcontractor was. Unless you are 6'5", it'll be too big for you.

If you want a good synthetic sleeping bag, get a North Face Cat's Meow. If you want a better syn bag, get the Kifaru or, for more weight, a Wiggy's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is bag which is ok for car camping but not backpacking.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I've got the USGI modular sleep system made by Tennier. Got a good deal on another forum and finally tried it out on my trip into the Adirondacks last month. I only used the goretex bivy and the light-weight patrol bag, and I stayed toasty warm down into the low thirties just sleeping on a wooden floor in one of the lean-to shelters along the trail. I've tried all 3 bags zipped together inside the house and it's so warm I thought I'd have a heatstroke after just a few minutes. The reviews and specs rate it down to -30degrees and I don't doubt that for a second.
Pros: the thing is bombproof. HEAVY duty zippers, stitching, etc. Pretty versatile when you consider the various configurations.
Cons: the weight - it's heavy, and it doesn't pack down very small at all. Probably the perfect winter "car camping" or "canoe camping" bag, where space and weight aren't an issue, but it's NOT for backpacking unless you're a masochist. I could see it being a great emergency/bugout bag for storing in a vehicle, or just to stash in a hunting cabin.

I'm gonna sell mine because I don't like the confinement of a mummy-style bag and I've already got a good winter-weather bag that's much lighter and packs down smaller. I'll probably take the money and buy a Snugpak jungle bag for summertime backpacking. Anything else you want to ask, or if you'd like to see some pictures, just let me know.
Good luck

KD

"At the bottom of the pyramid, America is a ruthlessly punitive and accountability-obsessed society. At the top of the pyramid, it is endlessly forgiving. Before trust can be restored, accountability has to be established."
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D
What oruacat2 said.

I gave the camo GoreTex bivy to a boy scout who loves it, and the black bag is my truck bag. Carried the black bag once on a hike, never again.

The green patrol bag is my summer bag with a TiGoat bivy, its all I need.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
S
S
I had mine issued (ACU variant) and it is like having a portable sauna in the middle of the wilderness. Throw the gortex bivy on it and I was literally burning up within a few minutes when it was in the low teens. Some complain it's too bulky or too heavy but whats a few extra pounds? Being in better shape will offset that. It's not bulky at all (at least to me, considering what you get), well it's not going to fold into a pringles can i guarantee you that. It all comes down to where you are hunting and how cold it can get. My hunting partner was cold on our last hunt, meanwhile I was nice and toasty.

I think it's great, that or I am too cheap to buy something else because I got mine for free...

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Yeah, being in better shape would help.
But as I get older and hopefully wiser, I want my trips into the outdoors to be enjoyable and comfortable - not an episode of "Man versus Wild". haha

"At the bottom of the pyramid, America is a ruthlessly punitive and accountability-obsessed society. At the top of the pyramid, it is endlessly forgiving. Before trust can be restored, accountability has to be established."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Badley
Any one know anything about the USMC US Military GORETEX -30 MODULAR SLEEPING BAG SLEEP SYSTEM MSS. Im thinking about getting a sleeping bag and trying to find the best value. Im willing to look at other brands, makes/models.

Are you planning on back paking with this system? If you need something that will keep you warm down to -30 i'd take a look at the Wiggys. Keep in mind that any synthetic bag that is good down to that temp range is going to be heavy. Check out the Wiggy's FTRSS, they are offered in temp ranges from 0 to -60.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D
I have an REI down bag that gets me to 0 degrees, and if I need to I can insert the USGI Patrol bag for another 20 degrees and a TiGoat bivy for an additional 10 or so.

However, I'll concede that the GI modular system is hell for rugged, as most GI systems are.

Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The intent of this bag would not be for backpacking. Just a good solid bag, made in the USA, that will be the last bag I need to buy and will keep me warm and dry.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would definitley take a good hard look at the Wiggy's FTRSS bags, probably the -20 bag would work for you.

http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=151

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D
If it's not for backpacking, then the USGI extreme weather bag is the route. Usually under $100 at a surplus store.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The intent of this bag would not be for backpacking. Just a good solid bag, made in the USA, that will be the last bag I need to buy and will keep me warm and dry.

Fine as long as you ain't carryin' it. I'd try before I buy though. A minus 20 sleep system that is less than eight inches thick ain't a minus 20 sleep system. If some idiot GI left it stuffed in the stuff sack in a Tuffbin for 3-4months then it is now about a 10 degree sleep system at best. This is akin to turning your 300mag into a 308 by whacking six inches of barrel off, but you still get biotch slapped when you shoot it.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by bink
I had mine issued (ACU variant) and it is like having a portable sauna in the middle of the wilderness. Throw the gortex bivy on it and I was literally burning up within a few minutes when it was in the low teens. Some complain it's too bulky or too heavy but whats a few extra pounds? Being in better shape will offset that. It's not bulky at all (at least to me, considering what you get), well it's not going to fold into a pringles can i guarantee you that. It all comes down to where you are hunting and how cold it can get. My hunting partner was cold on our last hunt, meanwhile I was nice and toasty.

I think it's great, that or I am too cheap to buy something else because I got mine for free...
hey [bleep], i was your hunting partner! i had the MSS just not the bivy...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are lots of good bags that will fit this bill concerning your requested performance, however manufacturer location may limit you somewhat. FWIW, I've 3 different bags I use each season and have found that one bag simply will not be as comfortable from -30 to +60 as the appropriate bag for the conditions is.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the MSS.

1. Stuff sack is heavy but good.

2. Gortex bivy is heavy but a winner!

3. Patrol/overbag. Real nice kit and worth taking alone for moderate weather or as an overbag.

4. The Black or intermediate cold weather bag. This is far too heavy for the temp rating and packs down too big.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bink
Some complain it's too bulky or too heavy but whats a few extra pounds?

A few extra grams or maybe even ounces I can spare. But I better be getting a LOT of benefits to carry extra pounds. Not saying you're wrong, but it depends heavily on where/how you hunt. Being as this is the backpack hunting forum I can't see carrying spare pounds as trivial. Just my opinion.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use a Mountain Hardware Phantom 800 fill, 0 degree along with an Integral Designs (Bugaboo) bivy sack. Although I've only used this combo when temps got down to about 17 degrees, I stayed quite warm. I don't think it would have any problem keeping me warm down to -10 F or so when used with a tent or tarp. Another plus is that this combo is light enough for backpacking. Should be the last bag I'll ever need but, then again, I'm 60 yrs. old.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 54 invisible), 3,051 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,442
Posts18,528,691
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.