Print Thread
Hop To
F
FUG1899 Online Happy OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Happy
Campfire Regular
F
What is the correct height for a shooting table and bench??

Thanks for the help

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
31 to 32 inches is tossed around often. you will discover that a proper stool will help [even be necessary] to use the bench correctly. it is imperative you have correct posture and are comfortable to squeeze the most out of your shooting.

i see a lot of shooters with poor posture. my stepson was always saying he needed to be very upright to absorb recoil. his groups shrank when i got him in position correctly. he was quite sure it would not help and would cause him pain or problems in some way. a year later he commented that it was a huge help in his shooting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you have photos showing the correct posture?

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
How big a boy are ya?

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rayporter
31 to 32 inches is tossed around often. you will discover that a proper stool will help [even be necessary] to use the bench correctly. it is imperative you have correct posture and are comfortable to squeeze the most out of your shooting.

i see a lot of shooters with poor posture. my stepson was always saying he needed to be very upright to absorb recoil. his groups shrank when i got him in position correctly. he was quite sure it would not help and would cause him pain or problems in some way. a year later he commented that it was a huge help in his shooting.

I run 31.5" just because that's what I had laying around and made a portable bench out of it. I often get complaints that it is too short, works out great for me with a short stool. The way I see it is if you can't get comfy on a steel table with proper sandbags/shooting rest then you sure as chit aint going to get comfortable out in the field. I watch in amazement when my friends try to use my setup: They struggle to get into the right position and then muff up the shot because they say they can't get comfortable but these are guys that have to shoot at game off of a steady rest. One friend won't shoot unless he's sitting or kneeling or has the gun on a rock steady rest of some sort. Cracks me up!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This table is older than me and built very well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Do you haul the welder along for a stool?

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DocEd
Do you haul the welder along for a stool?

Funny....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
It's interesting what a set of folding table legs [$20.00} from Lowes and a piece of 1/2 " plywood 36" x 42" and a 2x4 frame made tofit the leg mounting holes can do . 5 gallon bucket with one of those hunting seats can do in the field .fairly lightweight and portable . Abag type front rest and a rear rest work great in a dog town . Move your bucket around the bench to change directions .$40 total .

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It will and should vary with the shooters stature.

Build it to where it makes you comfortable.

For me I'm leaning forward and over just a bit. I have a T shaped table for left or right shooting, and I then add in the bench height to match the table top.

Wish I'd seen it sooner, I just got back from the pasture and its almost too late for me to go back out the back door as its time for deer to start moving again.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (1lessdog, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,397
Posts18,506,922
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.