Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I'm looking at upgrading my base layers for hunting season without breaking the bank. Until now I've been buying whatever walmart carries and now I want to upgrade to better performance and warmth.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What kind of hunting, stand hunting or always on the move? What temps?

I have mostly made the switch to merino baselayers and love them, however, there are conditions that I will use synthetic but that is a rarity these days.

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I'm primarily going be still hunting morning, and stand hunting in the evenings. I like to still hunt to a nice ridge or other decent looking spot and wait until dark, up here in the Adirondacks it's usually between 0-40 degrees during hunting season. So I know I'm better off putting the heavier layers in my packs until I get to wear I want to go.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The best base layers I've ever used (and all I use now) are from a Canadian company named Lulu Lemons which makes yoga clothing. My fiance bought me a shirt from them as a joke, and now I have her bring me a few every time she comes and visits. Blows everything else away I have used.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
They make the best boxer briefs I've used, but the rest of their line is over priced and over rated. It's good stuff, but there's better out there. If you're on a budget, check out Sierra Trading Post. I really like Smartwool bottoms and I have a couple of Ibex shirts that are really nice.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I plan to buy some UA to compare to my Sitka Gear. I recently tried some UA on in order to get a size take on it.

I buy Sitka when I can get it on sale. I buy my boxer briefs from Sierra Trading Post or Campmor as they are way cheaper than UA or Sitka. As long as it is polyester it works for me.

I used Sitka last year for the first time & liked it. I live on the Gulf Coast where the humidity mixes with the cold. I like the layering idea as it is comfy & non-binding.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I used a lot of UA base layers before I jumped to merino. The "base 2.0" tops are still among my favorite and would do well in the temp range you cite.

For anything beyond an overnight, merino wins simply because I can't stand to be around myself after 3 days in poly.

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
It seems to me like you are paying more for the name then the product which is why I wanted to see what you guys use.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have actually used UA next to my skin and merino wool over that as a layer. Not a bad combo.

We are fortunate to have an UA outlet store near us. Can get a lot of stuff at half price.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calvin
The best base layers I've ever used (and all I use now) are from a Canadian company named Lulu Lemons which makes yoga clothing. My fiance bought me a shirt from them as a joke, and now I have her bring me a few every time she comes and visits. Blows everything else away I have used.

Calvin,

I thought you were joking at first. That stuff is supposed to be the latest and greatest in the womens fitness fashion arena-this year. I had thought they only made womens cloths. I see that is no longer the case:

http://shop.lululemon.com/products/category/men-tops?pagesize=All

All the same I'll stick with my Patagonia capilene with merino wool on top if needed.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I want to try merino wool base layers next. For cheap warm base layers is the military brown poly pros. They are thick and warm. They actually keep me warm when staying still and wick sweat and dry quickly. They are about a polar weight base layer.

My Under Armor cold gear works ok. It's good if I'm moving but as soon as you stop you will start to get cold. It will wick quickly though.

I want to try some of the First Lite base layers next. I'll be looking for Smartwool and Ibex on Sierra Trading Post too.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Does the label say its VISA fabric? I scored some t-shirts at Sierra Trading years ago made of VISA that blows UA away for durability. The UA stuff is fragile.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by oldslowdog

Calvin,

I thought you were joking at first. That stuff is supposed to be the latest and greatest in the womens fitness fashion arena-this year. I had thought they only made womens cloths. I see that is no longer the case:

http://shop.lululemon.com/products/category/men-tops?pagesize=All

All the same I'll stick with my Patagonia capilene with merino wool on top if needed.

It's really good, and I have been giving it one hell of a workout the last few weeks. I really like the Luon long sleeve shirt.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Does the label say its VISA fabric? I scored some t-shirts at Sierra Trading years ago made of VISA that blows UA away for durability. The UA stuff is fragile.

No it doesn't say visa fabric.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Merino isn't stinking up after a few days in the high country. Under armour stinks so bad, I can't stand being around myself with it. If a one day hunt, I will still wear some under armour but merino soundly beats it and I won't buy more.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yep, merino wool performs really well. After a 5-day elk hunt in CO last week, my Smart Wool 250 g/m� tops and bottoms kept me warm (and didn't fry me when it was warmer) and to me, didn't smell any different from the day I first put them on. I've got a lighter version that I will be using for deer hunting here in OK.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No experience with UA. I'm another that's making the switch from synthetic (Patagonia mostly) to merino (Smartwool, Minus 33).

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Has anyone tried the merino wool base layers that Costco is carrying?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Has anyone tried the merino wool base layers that Costco is carrying?
Someone gave the thumbs on the socks a few days ago.

I have gone to 100% merino wool from the undies, next to skin and midweight layer. I've sold all of my UA. 9 days in the back country with no running water chasing cats keeps me fairly tolerable with the wool.

Wool keeps you warm while wet, also.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've only used a couple of pieces from UA and I didn't care for it. After a few hours of sweating I couldn't get rid of the stink until I washed it. Same with my Sitka syn core top and mtn shirt.

Now I use Core4Elements merino wool boxers and hooded shirt. I can wear them for a week straight without any stink at all. Merino wool is all I use now for base layers.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 1234, 163bc, 58 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,574
Posts18,491,964
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.