Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by highridge1
I tried to warn you. You'll just end up getting a zeiss swarovski or leica later. The leupold will struggle to range a deer at 600 + yards. The ones I listed will range deer at 1000 yards easily. And they have much better glass.Good luck hope it works ok.

No - I won't.
I can't afford any of those, in the first place.
In the 2nd place, I don't need to range a deer or any other big game animal @ 1000 yards. If you do need to and can.... Then I'm very happy for you.

My needs are simple.
Mostly archery deer and elk. Some possible elk rifle out to 400ish. I won't be shooting beyond that. It will tell me when not to shoot, as much as anything.

I did a lot of research, including folks that actually "own the unit and have field experience with them". To the man they all like the product.

I made my choice and paid my money.
Thanks for the input.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
One thing about it is, you will know after a couple of months or maybe even after your first outing whether or not you like it. I run a Nikon 1000 riflehunter and I've ranged deer at 880 yards before with it and it is fast and the optics are good enough for me. Its got the angle compensation on it which is a handy feature. The leica's are damn nice but you are right they are pretty expensive. Good luck with your leupold, hope it works out great for you....Keep us posted.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A wise man once said, "Used excellence, trumps a shiny new POS".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been hunting with the original RX-1000 for over two years by now-- the 2011 RX-1000i version is even better.

--Randy

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I also am interested in purchasing this range finder. I've never owned one and have only use a few low end units. In store I found it to be very clear and I liked the red led displays. Is it worth the extra hundred for the model with the angle reading. At this point I don't do and gun hunting over 200 yards but hopefully in the future. I do understand the point of the guys that press the high end high dollar units but not everyone needs or wants the best things money can
Buy

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
A wise man once said, "Used excellence, trumps a shiny new POS".

A wise man???? yeah...right....

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
So.....

I took it on the road with me today.

I ranged anything I thought fit...you know, houses, cars, cattle and all that. Not a scientific event of any measure.

What I found:
It's one hell of a lot better than my old Bushnell, by light years!

I mostly archery hunt.. that means bow blacktail in rut.
And then there's my damage permit for cow elk... that's rifle or anything I want.. Ranges can be from "confrontational" to way further than I want to shoot.

There's a lot to learn, but I'm impressed so far.

BT53

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RandyWakeman
I've been hunting with the original RX-1000 for over two years by now-- the 2011 RX-1000i version is even better.

Sounds like they've improved them.....but a one year warranty on the RX is pretty pathetic IMO.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Better than the 90 day "warranty" on my far more expensive electronics, as in cameras / videocameras, editing decks, etc. We have different standards for hunting accessories than we do for other things.

If there is a "good thing" it is that electronics like to puke in a few days (for me, anyway) . . . as in various flat-screen HD-TV's. I've never had a laser rangefinder fail on me, although there were several that I really, really hoped would die a quick death. Sadly, they did not.

Many firearms (Ruger, Browning) have no written warranty-- but they take care of things within reason. A lot of it is "feel-good" warranties, more of a marketing tool than anything else. We have a lot of laws like that as well. blush

--Randy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rbodenburg529
I also am interested in purchasing this range finder. I've never owned one and have only use a few low end units. In store I found it to be very clear and I liked the red led displays. Is it worth the extra hundred for the model with the angle reading.

No, the "true ballistic range" stuff isn't needed at all. Most people know that shooting steeply downhill or steeply uphill will raise your POI. It hardly is any great issue on a big game animal with a 10 inch kill zone. You might want it out of general interest for the extra forty or fifty dollars, though.

Style of use apparently varies. I'm ranging objects, not the animal for the most part. If its the animal I want, its hit the switch and go pick him up-- not fiddle with a rangefinder first. The best thing about a rangefinder is that the more you use it, the better you get at judging range. It constantly teaches you.

--Randy

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RandyWakeman
Better than the 90 day "warranty" on my far more expensive electronics

But it is the worst warranty in the rangefinder industry. That's the point. Very uncharacteristic of Leupold.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I used it at the range today for just menial stuff.

But as I was leaving, I quickly ranged a small car across some fields - 899 yards on the dot.

It's working to my satisfaction, so far.

BT53

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Sounds like they've improved them.....but a one year warranty on the RX is pretty pathetic IMO.

It is a two year warranty:

"The Leupold RX-1000i TBR with DNA uses high-performance optics for impeccable image quality and digitally enhanced accuracy (DNA) to increase the speed and precision of each reading. With the True Ballistic Range feature, the RX-1000i calculates ranging information matched to your incline and the performance of your rifle or bow. Hunters appreciate the flexibility to choose readings in yards or meters and the ability to adapt to changing conditions with multiple modes. Small enough to fit in your pocket, the RX-1000i design includes an advanced OLED display, tough aluminum casing, and convenient battery power indicator. Leupold covers the RX-1000i rangefinder with a 2-year limited warranty."

--Randy

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The pdf leupold manual says otherwise.

http://www.binoculars.com/images/pdf/LESO096.pdf

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wrong manual, the current product is the "i" as in RX-1000i.

Not that the current manual is any more helpful: it isn't. Under warranty, it says "one - two years depending on specific product, for more info see the manual." Words to that effect, but of course telling you to refer to the manual when you ARE reading the manual isn't helpful.

Nevertheless, it is two years for the RX-1000i, for whatever importance you might wish to give to it. The same warranty period applied to a Bushnell ARC 1600, etc., so the Leupold warranty is competitive and neither pathetic or the worst in the industry.

--Randy

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
FWIW, it's the same as Swarovski's written warranty on their Laserguide and the new EL RF's; 2-years.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It doesn't really matter to me, but hopefully it is a 2 yr like everyone else.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Any opinions on the RXiv.The cabelas catalogue says it is the only waterproof one.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Compared to the Bushnell offerings, crap is an upgrade.

Wakeman is pushing more bullschit on folks, to pad his own pockets (Leupold is a paid sponsor of yours, right Randy? What's your income from them annually?).

The Leupold rangefinders routinely suck hind teat compared to their comparables.

The only person you have to make happy is yourself, and if you're happy being conned by Wakeman, do yourself a favor and never look through decent optics.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Wakeman is pushing more bullschit on folks, to pad his own pockets

It is either libel, cyber-stalking, or mental illness. Whatever it is, there is no excuse for baseless lying. You should know better.

--Randy

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,562
Posts18,491,792
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.