Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Last year I went to the RSA on a 7 day plains game safari and because of physical limitations, most of that was done from the back of a safari truck. While that safari was wildly successful I did not use my own rifles. I used the PH's 7x57 and I noticed that this rifle to a hell of a beating while hanging in the outside gun rack day after day. Specifically, that fine African red dirt covered the guns and must have gotten into everything on a daily basis. Since I am taking my own rifles next year, how can I keep them clean and lubed at the end of each day? Red dirt and oil mixed together seems like a problem looking for a place to happen. What say you? Thanks...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take a soft padded rifle case. Keep your rifle zipped up in the case until needed.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
BIG +1...I use a Boyt...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep. Even some PH's keep their rifles in cases when riding around in the truck!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Take a soft padded rifle case. Keep your rifle zipped up in the case until needed.

Yep

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
got to disagree....I kept mine across my knees as we rode around...it got a little dusty but not too bad. I put it in the case unloaded going to and from the hunting area. If you don't want to shoot from the bakkie, then I guess it doesn't matter too much how you store it, but if you do, then the rifle with one in the tube laying across your lap sure speeds things up....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
True dat...but I chose from the get go to not shoot from the bakkie, except for culling. My health etc. permitted alot of sneaking around in the bush, so thats what I chose to do...
Just the way I roll...and come to a stop.... grin

( I must say there were a couple times when we unassed the truck , uncased the rifle and dove into the bush in record time! wink )

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
To each his own....I shot 7 animals...walked lots of miles....and got lucky to see 3 of them from or near the bakkie...you pays your money and takes your chances..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No shooting from nor around the bakkie for me. Just a means to get from point A to point B. Personal preference.

Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
"bakkie"?

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It's what they call a truck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

I must say there were a couple times when we unassed the truck , uncased the rifle and dove into the bush in record time! wink

That when a Bubba Buddy comes in hand so you know you have the ammo with you.. whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gary O
Last year I went to the RSA on a 7 day plains game safari and because of physical limitations, most of that was done from the back of a safari truck. While that safari was wildly successful I did not use my own rifles. I used the PH's 7x57 and I noticed that this rifle to a hell of a beating while hanging in the outside gun rack day after day. Specifically, that fine African red dirt covered the guns and must have gotten into everything on a daily basis. Since I am taking my own rifles next year, how can I keep them clean and lubed at the end of each day? Red dirt and oil mixed together seems like a problem looking for a place to happen. What say you? Thanks...

I wouldn't worry too much about the rifle, rust in a wet hunting environment is a far bigger concern than a little dust..

Don't over oil the action, and the barrel will be oil free anyway..It might be an idea to get the trigger checked over vbefore you leave and ensure there is no excess oil that can gum up when the dust hits..

A far bigger worry is that dust on your optics, whether your scope or your bin's, or both...You need to take a good optics cleaning kit and know how to clean then sympathetically...

Fitting Butler Creeks to the objectives of the bino's wouldn't be a bad idea either....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by ingwe

I must say there were a couple times when we unassed the truck , uncased the rifle and dove into the bush in record time! wink

That when a Bubba Buddy comes in hand so you know you have the ammo with you.. whistle

Ammo was in the magazine...had only to chamber a round... grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In addition to carrying the gun in a soft case on the back of the truck I brought a package of pre-oiled gunwipes with me and wiped my gun down a couple of times while I as in Zim. At the end of the hunt I left them with my PH, he sure apreciated them.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
M
msc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Red Oxx flat dog. packs very easily and will protect your rifle even in a rack on the safari truckl.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Soft case is the way to go, but it will slow you down if you need to take a shot quickly.

And you only need a little white grease on the front lugs and cocking cam on a bolt gun.

As Pete E said, you will need to clean your optics more than the rifle.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not only the soft case, but before our safari, I started to use a dry lubricant on my rifle. When Dan and I got in each evening, we used a silicone cloth to wipe the guns down. If you use too much oil lube, the dust will stick to the oil worse, and by the end of the safari, you'll have a gummy mess. I've been using hornady one shot dry lube, and am very satisfied with it.

maddog

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Pick up truck Gary! :0)

As a PH. I always carried my own rifles in a soft padded canvas bag to keep it dry and dust free...also hate a scratched rifle!
The client kept his rifle inside the cab, mag full chamber clear! Muzzle on the floor mat! Mat kept clean!!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Dhagaboy

Muzzle on the floor mat! Mat kept clean!!

That's a big reason for tape over the muzzle. Muzzle down in sticky mud on the floor mat is bad news. I've run into that in the US. Do the African PHs think tape over the muzzle is OK? Or do they think it'd be dangerous like a bore obstruction?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 23 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,503
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.