Hop To
S
SteveE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for all yalls help.
But I am not sure I'm on the same page so I am going over everything up to now.

Original load
Lapua brass-140 AB 77.5gr IMR 7828 Fed 215 primers
3350 FPS

started working loads with Win Brass and new lot of powder
groups came together with 78.1 gr IMR 7828(Hodgdon)-140 AB---Winchester brass---Fed 215 primers
3480ish average fps after fouling
No heavy bolt lift --no brass shaving off base, only slightly flattened primer

The Winchester brass I am using now is 56.8 grains lighter than the old lapua brass.
My ? is wouldnt the lighter case mean more case capacity allowing more poowder with the same pressure

At this point I am somewhat confused so thanks in advance for your help
Steve Eggers

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Steve,

For those of us who weren't in on prior communications you may have had with BobinNH or Dober, what caliber are we talking about?

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mashburn for sure

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
S
SteveE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I'm sorry guys --7mm/300 Win Mag

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SteveE
Thanks for all yalls help.
But I am not sure I'm on the same page so I am going over everything up to now.

Original load
Lapua brass-140 AB 77.5gr IMR 7828 Fed 215 primers
3350 FPS

started working loads with Win Brass and new lot of powder
groups came together with 78.1 gr IMR 7828(Hodgdon)-140 AB---Winchester brass---Fed 215 primers
3480ish average fps after fouling
No heavy bolt lift --no brass shaving off base, only slightly flattened primer

The Winchester brass I am using now is 56.8 grains lighter than the old lapua brass.
My ? is wouldnt the lighter case mean more case capacity allowing more poowder with the same pressure

At this point I am somewhat confused so thanks in advance for your help
Steve Eggers

Steve: I won't pretend to know the answer cry sort of a stumper for me for sure.....we would expect that the lighter brass would have more capacity but this may not be so, and the only way I know to be certain is to measure the capacity of both types to find out.

Another issue might be maybe the WW brass is harder,and construction different...it might (emphasis)be able to withstand higher pressure than the Lapua,but since I have not worked with Lapua brass, I really don't know.

You note that you changed lots of powder...this as much as anything would give me pause,as it is not unusual for powders to vary in the velocity they will give from lot to lot.....so you changed two parts of the equation....brass, and powder lots,and either could result in the velocity(pressure) increase.

If you have a 24" barrel I would be a bit skeptical of the velocity......that seems like a lot of vel for a 140 from that case, and while I have not yet run 140's in the Mashburn, I have in the 7mmDakota with RL22 and hit a pretty comfy 3350 in a 24" Krieger,about what you got with the old brass.

I believe the Dakota, the Mashburn, and your necked down 300WM are very close in capacity, so if I saw that velocity in a 24" barrel I would back off and check accuracy again.Those cases might not show signs of high pressure on the first firing, but could be up around the ragged edge...so if it were me, I would run the test again with a charge giving about 3350 again, and see how it shoots and if accuracy and groups come baxck to where they were..

I would not rely completely on the traditional pressure signs in what is likely a custom tube and squared up action, like Johnny B has taught many of us on here; plus you are dealing with a wildcat so best to approach conservatively, fire cases and check primer pockets on subsequent reloads with the same brass.

I'm afraid this does not answer your question, because I really think it would take a lab technician and pressure equipment to give a real accurate answer. For us, working with wildcats of this capacity, I think we are better advised to stay cautious and watch the chronograph for warning signs.

Hopefully others better able to answer will chime in.... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

S
SteveE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
BobinNH
It has a 26 " Krieger tube

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
OK, good for another 50 fps? So maybe those vels are not over the top....I really am not sure.

Steve do you have any of the old lot of powder available to test against the new stuff,both in the WW brass? That might tell you something as well.

S
SteveE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
All of it is gone . It was before the Hodgdon buy out. I may be able to find a few of the old Lapua brass that hasnt been shot out. When I first got into this I thought it was neccesary to uniform the primer pockets. I ruined alot of brass before I caught on that I wasnt shooting for dollars laugh

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well if the WW brass is giving more velocity,I am guessing the powder lot may have more to do with it than anything else.

Maybe a bit more neck tension withe WW stuff? And you have a 26" tube...In any event we are taking about (what?) a gain of 80-85 fps? I would still feel more comfy back around 3350-3375,which may be picking nits, but it's frequently tht last 75-100 fps that raises things through the roof and causes a problem.

What I don't get is that the lighter load is not as accurate for you from the WW stuff....I would try again. smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (270cowboy, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 257 mag, 62 invisible), 3,225 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,732
Posts18,535,159
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.