Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thinking for hunting, it'd be more practical. IIRC Dakota's are matte correct?

Thoughts?

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I sure hope not. Nothing uglier than matte anything.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Either one works for me; but generally, I think the blue is preferred. I really do not care for the "high polish" blue on the 2 Cabelas specials; ie, the .30/40 and the .300 H&H.

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I guess uglier is safer for glare control is my thinking Brent.

If a wall hanger or bench gun, no doubt, polished blue, AAA wood, and scroll/engraving and inlays of your choice are fine smile LOL.

Seriously - alot of custom (synthetic stocked hunting rifles) and even factory rifles have gone to matte blue when not SS.

I strongly dislike ROUGH matte - don't get me wrong. I like a very fine bead blast.

Of course I am the rare No. 1 fan that also likes K1As - when in pretty wood as my last Swede.

Wonder how the 77 Hawkeye sales are in matte vs polished blue?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I respect everyones right to like different things - but me personally,
I prefer the gloss. I get aggravated because most of the scopes I like are hard to find in anything but matte. Have you looked at the Boddington series of No.1's?
If you're really hankering for matte... They gots it.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jeffdwhite
I respect everyones right to like different things - but me personally,
I prefer the gloss. I get aggravated because most of the scopes I like are hard to find in anything but matte. Have you looked at the Boddington series of No.1's?
If you're really hankering for matte... They gots it.

Jeff, I prefer gloss and I'm with you on the scopes.

Anchorage, Alaska
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
On the No.1's for me gloss is a better looking rifle. The 77's matte finish is very thin and could be better!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
do you guys really worry about glare control? Is it a real factor for you?

I shoot old guns that have lots of flat sides. Even on the barrels. If anything will glare, an octagon barreled highwall will. But it has never been a problem or issue for me.

A quality rust blue is pretty shiny, but not the plastic-coated like gloss of some modern "blueing" that I have seen. It gives me no problem, wears well, looks great.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have no concern for glare control and consider it a market trick. Most likely the glare off a blued flat surface will mean nothing to some critter your stalking. If Carlos is out there looking or your worried about aircraft or someone finding you you might need to worry, but I don't think it is something to worry about.

Anchorage, Alaska
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All my full bore custom #1s are matte finish because they are hunting rifles not safe-pretties.

The #1 rifles I have that just get a rebore/rechamber stay finished as the factory made them. With over three dozen of them the cost to make them right is prohbiitive. I do have some camo barrel drapes that I use when needed.

MY factory models stay as is -- EXCEPT for my 25-06 SS/laminate 1B which had the highest glare SS finish I have ever seen on a rifle and it is now bead blasted and matte finished. Later, Ruger moved to a more satin type SS finish. They really screwed the pooch on that one.

Glare off a hunting rifle -- or a face for that matter -- from a setting sun low on the horizon late in the day fluoresces like a tracer round. I always have worn a camo face net since observing it from long distances years ago.

Are any sniper rifles are high gloss finished? Might there be a reason?

1B

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
yeah, snipers.

Anchorage, Alaska
mjc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The blued finish that Ruger #1's come in is just right for me.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
1B, years back in Rifle Colorado chasing Elk and Mulies I spotted something glinting, I could make it out later, a hunter, must have been close to or more than a mile off, it was his rifle barrel.

That was enough for me, I just don't want to give game any upper hand, I will take all the advantage I can smile

The current blued models are not terrible. No doubt, one reason I sold a GORGEOUS 243 Low Wall Browning was the HIGH gloss stock. It looked fabulous, but not really practical IMO for the field.

Jeff, I saw one of the CB models and it's an option for sure.

1B, I agree with your bead blasting, I would have done the same to a 77 SS in 350RM had my buddy not begged/forced me to sell it to him! LOL.

No doubt, a polished SS gun is worse on glare than the current No. 1s. The best thing to do is keep muzzle pointed AT game when possible, so there is less blued metal facing your animal. Bright sunny days is when I am most concerned, often hunting is when its cloudy, so conditions do vary and affect things.

Camo netting or tape is a quick cheap temporary option.

I bet the sniper who Carlos shot thru the guys scope, would have wished he had glare control on his objective lens.

Thankfully my targets are not armed! smile

Good luck in the field you guys.

BTW, I watched Larry Weishuhn dump a nice Mulie on a show the other day, RSI 270, an old fav or Larry's from back when I met him. He did good reloading a 2nd round as the first did not take him out. Not sure of the ammo but the buck was facing at an angle and hit around the shouler.

It made me miss my 243 RSI ....hard to get a Falling Block out of your blood - esp. after taking many animals with them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If anything, I'd like to see the #1s be polished like the MK II M77s were. The smoother the finish, the easier they are to maintain in terms of corrosion.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Matt finishes seem to be a good idea. The Boddington series No. 1s also seem to be taking a long time to sell? jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the matte.

I like the sights on the Boddington's also.

Circassion stocks also added some money.

I don't think the caliber options helped either.

My "leopard" and "lion" are both things of beauty, and in reasonable calibers for hunters in North America.
"Kudo" would work also.

"Elephant" and "Buff" have rather narrow uses.

(All of the above is my opinion, and should not be considered useful)

Mitch

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
JT, not seen alot of the CD models/prices but if the ltd. run pieces are jacked up in price, that alone will turn away alot of would be buyers, so I would not make any conclusions on matte vs blue demand when price is not apples to apples on a few matte models out there.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Besides the famous refined Farquharson action:
` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `
Its the old world/modern - beautiful/blue finish, rich/walnut stock ...
that attracted me to the regal, Ruger #1's.

My most recent is a Ruger #1, 270 Win, RSI (Mannlicher stock).

IMO, 'matte' on a #1 would be an abomination.

(It wouldn't be so bad on my H&R 'Handi' however.)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the abomination of matte on a no 1, with a good bead blast treatment.

I dislike the factory wood and always dislike varnish / gloss finish on stocks, on any kind of gun.

So my no 1 is dark, matte oil rubbed stock with bead blasted black metal treatment.

Va t'in tch�re !
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 7x57mm in the Boddington finish, and several with the polish blue. I've not found the polish blue to be a problem while hunting. I like em both, something different I suppose.

I am/have been curious as to the finish on the Stainless and if that is an issue in the field.
Although, I have used the SS77 without issue. I doonoo but I doubt it really matters. I think it's the movement and smell more than anything else that gives one away.

Last edited by AJD; 11/06/11.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

227 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 280shooter, 338Rules, 30incher, 06hunter59, 34 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,324
Posts18,505,854
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.