Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I had a pair of leupold katmai bino's and somehow lost them when I recently moved. Should I get another pair or is there something comparable in that price range that would be better?

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm going to jump in on this with a minor thread derail-

Now that the design has been around for quite a while, is there an off-brand katmai available? The price of really quite good optics has been coming down yet Katmais are relatively expensive.

Any other micro sized 6x32's out there?

Also, is it true the katmais are Bak7 glass and not Bak4?

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
I'm going to jump in on this with a minor thread derail-

Now that the design has been around for quite a while, is there an off-brand katmai available? The price of really quite good optics has been coming down yet Katmais are relatively expensive.

Any other micro sized 6x32's out there?

Also, is it true the katmais are Bak7 glass and not Bak4?

As far as I know, the glass type is not that important, it is all about the optic design, and the coatings.
I have no knowledge about the Katmai, but I recommend not being too concerned.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Actually, I am not sure the Yosemite 6x30's aren't just about as good at much cheaper pricing.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Big fan of the yo's but they are a little bigger. Not a ton, but I cant fit the Yo's in a jacket pocket. MAYBE the katmai's could?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/blackbear11784/fourbinos.jpg

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Minox 8x32 BL's are much better than the Katmai 8x32's I had.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I own both Katmai 8X32 and Yosemite 6X30's. The Katmai are only 1 oz lighter, but are much more compact. I've found the Yosemite to be ever so slightly better optically and in low light. Close enough for all practical purposes to call a tie. Not bad for $80 binoculars. The Yosemite in 8X30 would be a more fair comparison and I'd bet the Katmai would be slightly better.

When I bought my Katmai I felt they were the best compromise between size, price and quality at that time. Anything smaller just did not work unless it was much more expensive. Only time will tell but the Katmai feel more ruggedly constructed than the Yosemite and I feel they may hold up better to long term rough field use. But if you want to get a good pair of binoculars for under $100 the Yosemite can't be beat.

Last edited by JMR40; 11/06/11.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I own both the Leupold Yosemite 6X30 and the Katmai 6X32. You really don't even have to stack them, as we do with the expensive binoculars, to see the difference. The Katmai is sharper.
They are amazingly compact. I have yet to see anything of like size with their performance. They work alot better at the longer ranges than the Zeiss 8X20, for instance, when used standing.
All that said, the Yosemite 6X30 rides flatter on the chest and works alot better than anything I've ever used in that price range. They aren't very far apart. The only place I see a practical difference is at the longer ranges like a 1/2 mile or more. But, at that distance, you really ought to be using an 8x32. E

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JMR40
.....When I bought my Katmai I felt they were the best compromise between size, price and quality at that time. Anything smaller just did not work unless it was much more expensive. Only time will tell but the Katmai feel more ruggedly constructed than the Yosemite and I feel they may hold up better to long term rough field use. But if you want to get a good pair of binoculars for under $100 the Yosemite can't be beat.

My sentiments pretty much exactly. I wanted a 6x30 to go with a selection of several others ranging from big eyes to truly compact - I wanted something for deep woods to play with the planes - maybe looking for animals at the edges; something with low power and close focus for extra duty in urban arboretums and gardens. Maybe to hand to a novice by Campfire standards user to see the rabbit ears of a bedded deer. Walking around with money in my pocket I found no big box stocking dealers with a selection of lower power binoculars for a stacked comparison. I formed the opinion that I could beat the optical quality of the Katmai 6x30 by a little for a little more money but not enough to matter either way for my purposes. It's not going to be deep sky photography or glassing for details as far as I could see from the top of the mountain. When I ran into a deal as good as it gets on the Katmai I bought them - wouldn't have been too much lost if I rented them for a few weeks and turned them over but I kept them.

Just as buying computers it's always possible to get a little better for the same money or the same quality for a little less money but the Katmai are plenty good enough and cheap enough and small enough to ride and hide under the center armrest in the truck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine go everwhere with me, it will be very hard to go back to a larger bino...perhaps someday I will own a nice Leica or Swaro in 8 or 10x if I feel the need for more X's and better glass.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Are we talking about the 6x30 or 8x30 version of the Katmai?

If it is the 6x30 then I would agree that there aren't any competitors that are as compact with similar optical performance. There are other 6x30 roofs available now but they are physically larger and heavier. The Yosemites are comparable optically but at an expense to compactness because of the porro design.

On a related note, I did recently try the Meopta Meostar 6.5x32 and was impressed with the level of contrast and the size of the sweet spot.

Frank
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
They were the 10X model.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
On that note may I suggest the Sightron SII Blue Sky 32 mm model? I have the 8x32 and have posted a review of it here....

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=211793

It has garnered quite a bit of interest. For the price, and notably more, I have not found a binocular that betters it optically nor as a "total package".

Frank
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Frank, how does that Sightron compare to the Nikon SE in low light situations?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Very well. The SE is a shade better as I am sure the light transmission number for the porro is slightly better than that of the roof. I am guessing the Sightron utilizes either a dielectric or silver coating on the prism though I cannot find confirmation one way or the other anywhere.

The beauty of the Sightron in low light is its color representation. It is slightly warm (red) so therefore I tend to be able to see greater color detail in that area of the spectrum (red, brown, purple). From a hunting perspective I think the benefits would be fairly obvious. I used them recently to observe both whitetails and a red fox. Because of the slightly warm bias and excellent contrast the animals seemed to "pop out" of their surroundings.

Last edited by FrankD; 11/09/11.

Frank

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,395
Posts18,488,841
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.