-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
one thing I always forget to mention... I only use a Kifaru waist belt on every pack, including the Dana external. That makes a difference.

GB1

C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
UtahLefty

Thanks for the pictures, they're much better than the ones on the BullPac site. What's your opinion of the shoulder straps and waist belt?

And do you mind if I ask your height and how it fits your torso?

Fireman, if you care to elaborate on those same questions, I'd appreciate your input, also.

Thanks again.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Pack fit seems to be one of the most individualistic of measurements - it's interesting to me how different the impressions of two people of similar size can be....

I'm 6'0" and 160# soaking wet.

The pack is nearly ideal under load -- I've not had any issues with too much shoulder weight and not enough waist weight. The belt and shoulder straps are perfectly comfortable for me. ( I also use a Kifaru gun bearer -- and the frame is the perfect height for a kneeling/sitting improvisational gun rest.)

Under light loads, the shoulder straps can be a bit of a bother -- they're 3" wide and about 3/4" thick. Not uncomfortable, just big - they're designed to carry heavy loads. If you're looking for an all-in-one solution, this is where you have to pay a small sacrifice.

hope that helps.

C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
That helps a lot, thanks.

My main concern is strength, and the Bull Pacs look stronger than anything else I've ran across. Main use for the pack is to haul weight, lots of weight. Everything else is secondary, looks like I've found my pack.

Thanks again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Bullpack and while its hell for stout, I think the harness and belt are poor.

The belt only attaches to the frame at one point (in the centre) and I find it impossible to cinch the belt up snug and get the frame secure and stable..

The shoulder straps are strong, but of a crude design and too heavily padded.

One of these days I am going to get a new harness made up .

Bull Pack are now making a modified version of the frame which will take a Mil Surplus Alice Pack and I think there is a alot of merit in that idea...

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Like most packframes, the fit is an individual thing. One pard loves his and another sent his back after just one trip.

They are stout, I sold mine after about 10yrs or so. I definitely got my money's worth out of it.

MtnHtr

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
i love mine bullet proof and comfy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E
I have a Bullpack and while its hell for stout, I think the harness and belt are poor.

The belt only attaches to the frame at one point (in the centre) and I find it impossible to cinch the belt up snug and get the frame secure and stable..

The shoulder straps are strong, but of a crude design and too heavily padded.

My experience as well. If Bull pac ever put some real effort in their suspension system, they would have a real winner. Sold my BP, never could get comfortable in it under loads.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This thread has certainly caught my attention. I have been using a Cabelas Alaskan II frame and pack combo. I like the ability to remove the pack to haul meat. We hauled loads this year of 75# of meat plus our packs with daily stuff and guns and that was about all I could handle on that rig. If I really cinch down the waist strap it will un-do itself. The frame also sqeaks where the straps from the pack rub on the black painted aluminum frame. Some mole skin took care of that on the mountain. I have also had issues with the two metal support rods coming out of place when I cinch down the bag of meat. My hunting pard has used a couple differnt packs and seems happy with what he has now, but I have never used anything else. this Bull pac looks to be about what I am looking for. I am 6'0" and about 175# in hunting shape. Any idea on what a naked frame weighs? Any idea if the cabelas alaskan pack will fit on it? I prefer to hunt and pack with the same rig to save the trip off the mountain empty handed.

Salmonhead
C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I was in a Cabela's store yesterday and looked thru all their packs/frames for a little bit. Of their frames, I liked this one the best: Alaskan Outfitter Frame. It's a bit beefier than the others, using larger tubing but I'm betting it still pales in comparison to the Bullpac. Whenever I get around to it, I'm most likely going to give the Bullpac a try.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pard has that frame and likes it for packing camp/large bulky stuff. But, on this years elk hunt he also brought in a smaller Kelty internal frame, which is what he used when it came time to pack meat from the bull he shot. FWIW...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had mine for about 10 years now its still goin strong

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I also owned a Bullpac, as stated above, strong as all hell. But I do have to agree with some of the above posts about the waistbelt and shoulder straps.
The waistbelt offers little to no wieght carring/support because it is attached at the small of your back/centre of the pack. It tends to just let the pack drop the wieght to your shoulders.
The shoulder straps are too thick (making it VERY dificult or nearly impossible to shoulder your rifle if need be while wearing the pack), and the nylon material is noisy as all hell.
A few (ok, a complete) suspension improvements and this would be a tough to beat system, but until that is done, buy a MR and be happy!

Somewhere, there is a village missing its idiot!!!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Super good frame, and horrible suspension system. It depends on you, but if you don't mind a suspension with zero adjustments then no big deal. It is a good pack to throw in a tool box if you are the type to road hunt or are only going to be packing a couple miles.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 44mc, 35, 69sportfury, 13 invisible), 1,547 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.