Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have been running Montana Pitch Blend for close to 20 years now, still on my original super bucket from Schnees. I think it is great, and does a fabulous job of waterproofing.....but every boot I have used it on has cracked leather now. Not sure if the pitch blend just attracts more dirt and causes the leather to crack as the dirt just grinds away in the cracks. Or if I am just expecting more from my boots than they can give. I always brush my boots clean before applying more grease, and grease them religiously.

Anyone have better luck with something else? I am looking for something to put on a classic pair of Fabiano's I just found at our local thrift store NIB! In my size, none the less. So this is regular old time tanned leather, not the Chrome tanned stuff, found on some high end boots these days.

Any ideas?

"Do you want it "Right", or "Right now"? - always a good question.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm no leather expert, but I've used Obenauf's LP with complete success on my leather boots....

Obenauf's LP

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had real good luck with Sno-seal, also beeswax based. I have not had a leather cracking problem with it.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm in Sitka Deer's camp and love beeswax!

Alan

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If I want waterproof, I use Gore-Tex. I've never found a leather treatment I've really liked.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Gore-Tex will keep your feet dry, but not warm. They put the bootie on the inside of the insulation. In the wet, the leather and insulation soak up and your feet are nice and dry inside a bucket of ice water. For the wet stuff, I've found that oversize, uninsulated boots with heavy socks are warmer than insulated boots.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Obenauf's twice a year and I am good to go!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
sno seal

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks guys. That Obenaufs looks like just the thing. I have used sno-seal and just didn't find it lasts as long as the others. Gore-tex? I have several pairs of Danner and assolos that are gore-tex and its great when new, but never had a pair stay dry over two years, always seem to leak like a sieve just as soon as the warranty gives up, and then there is no way to fix them or grease them back up....Just my experience.

"Do you want it "Right", or "Right now"? - always a good question.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used Obenaufs for years without nary a complaint. Good stuff in my book. A buddy turned me onto the Nixwax stuff and I've been very happy with it as well. I think the Nixwax is a little more user friendly but could slum either and happily.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I made my living working in the snow and rain and Mink Oil and Sno Seal has never let me down.Don't plan to change either anytime soon!

Jayco

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sno-Seal is worse than useless... It will not last a full day in real wet weather. Straight beeswax lasts far better than anything else I have tried (all the mentioned products and then a bunch more) and completely prevents leather from getting that sloppy loose fit from soaking up water.

You may not actually need waterproof leather, but if you do, beeswax trumps everything else. Most of the others are simply ways to make beeswax application easier. They do nothing to improve on what beeswax does.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Sno-Seal is worse than useless

Not true from what I have seen..Heat your boots up so it goes into the pours,and it works just fine or atleast did for me on real leather.Rain or snow,my feet never got wet using it and I worked in the elements,not just a hunting or fishing trip.

To each his own.

Jayco

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by logcutter
Sno-Seal is worse than useless

Not true from what I have seen..Heat your boots up so it goes into the pours,and it works just fine or atleast did for me on real leather.Rain or snow,my feet never got wet using it and I worked in the elements,not just a hunting or fishing trip.

To each his own.

Jayco

You put Sno-Seal on your sneakers? grin

I've never had any luck with Sno-Seal

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
grin

This has absolutely nothing to do with you,huntsonora....But playing word games with a few idiots here that don't have any idea, is entertaining...

Type in sneakers at cabella's and you get this....

[Linked Image]

A guy has to love the net when he is bored!Yup and I suppose they work just dandy..More guys are wearing tennis shoes and sneakers than one thinks........

Jayco grin

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have to ad this in all seriousness....

When I was pulling green Chain at a little saw mill seven miles up the Coeur d'Alene River in North Idaho,the warmest/driest footwear I have tried was nothing but tennis shoes with the old rubber galoshes,and all for about $30 bucks..

Man,don't knock it till you try it!!!

Jayco

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have had to show a few folks how useless Sno-Seal is and it takes just a few minutes... No one ever tries plain beeswax after using Sno-Seal and does not say the same thing. Anyone that suggests any boot dressing equals beeswax has never tried it.

You may not need truly waterproof boots... and commercial dressings might be good enough for what you do, but straight beeswax simply beats all the rest by a wide margin.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by logcutter
grin

This has absolutely nothing to do with you,huntsonora....But playing word games with a few idiots here that don't have any idea, is entertaining...

Type in sneakers at cabella's and you get this....

[Linked Image]

A guy has to love the net when he is bored!Yup and I suppose they work just dandy..More guys are wearing tennis shoes and sneakers than one thinks........

Jayco grin

Jayco
Care to clarify who you are calling idiot?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Jayco
Care to clarify who you are calling idiot?

Yeah mad

Last edited by GSSP; 11/07/11.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 3,237 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,744
Posts18,476,112
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.