Print Thread
Hop To
Page 794 of 1,842 1 2 792 793 794 795 796 1841 1842
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by bigbrie
Sounds like a good day T. and good luck to all you chikenbuckers. Hay Grizzly bill did your camp have a lot of damage from that storm last Jully? I hear ares did but I havent been up to see it yet.

Bigbrie, we lucked out, no damage to our camp and we only had one tree in our road to cut and move. Lots of downed trees in the area though.

My late brothers place, which is 25 miles SW of us had some minor damage.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Good job Joel. Should be some good eating.

Dave, one of the local weather gurus says we may see 60* here with very high winds today.

Suppossed to be a big weather change starting Tuesday. Much colder with a Rain/snow mix.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by fluffy
I scored on a little forkhorn right at dusk.barely had time to take a few pics and field dress before it was dark.If I could get the pic uploaded>:-( Id put it up.

Sounds like you healed in time after all. Two weeks ago, I was wondering if you would be still standing...

Congratulations.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Report from our camp is one doe taken by wifes youngest. He only had day and half to hunt so meat was the goal. Wife had a fawn wander around infront of her stand opening morning. Windy as heck here and now some rain.

Tzone, tell Andy well done from me.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tagged out last at the Drift camp, little drift and mini drift both scored does, dad got a weird racked fork something or other, and now sister #2 has decided she is gonna go out and fill a tag while we are driving for the rest of our friends.

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Wind is blowing 100mph up here, not even safe to sit in a tree stand because it feels like the trees will fold over flat at any time.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Same here, nasty bad out. Damn wind will keep them bedded down.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Misty precip is turning sleet/snowish though, so we,ve got that going for us anyways. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Misty precip is turning sleet/snowish though, so we,ve got that going for us anyways. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Woooooo Hoooooooooo!!!! SNOW!!!!!
Are we excited yet???

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
6 hunters and only 2 deer seen for the weekend at Bonehead Lodge near Floodwood. My buddy did manage to take the bigger of the 2 does. That darn wind sucked, kept wondering which tree was going to fall first. Headed to Camp 83 in Bigfork tomorrow as soon as the kids are on the bus.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Wind is blowing 100mph up here, not even safe to sit in a tree stand because it feels like the trees will fold over flat at any time.

Yep,

We bailed early too. It was not safe to be out. Trees were falling around me today. I watched one and heard another and that was all I needed to hear.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wow. I dont even know where to start. An unbelievable day on Saturnday and I never fired a shot. I will start out like this....from 11:00 to 11:30 I didnt have any deer in sight. From 6:20pm to 6:30 pm I didnt either. The entire rest of the day, I had deer in view from my stand at less than 50 yards! I climbed up in the dark and stayed all day until dark. The whole day, I had deer bedded or loitering around me. I passed on one really big 6 pointer (I figured 15 inch inside spread) pretty much all day. He was bedded within 30 yards for hours. he crossed my shooting lanes 34 times (ayep, I counted!).

At one point, I had the big 6 at 20 yards in my NE shooting lane...at the same time a small 6 was at 40 yards....at the same time another small 6 was at 60 yards....at the same time 2 does were outside the lane but inside 40 yards...and to top it all off, all the deer and I were watching a fischer at 20 yards! I couldnt tell you how many little bucks I passed on....5? 10? 20? Depends on how many I saw twice.

I passed on a dang nice 9 pointer early. He was about 15 inches inside and had about 7 inch tines. Didnt have good mass, so I passed. he was 2.5 years old. Boy, that was really hard to do, but I am okay with it. I know he was mine if'n I would have wanted as he was in the crosshairs, safety off, broadside at 40 yards in my shooting lane. he should be something really nice next year!

The big 6 (I named him Mr. Buford) kept falling asleep and jerking awake...it was hilarious to watch. At one point, he was curled up like a dog and his head flipped all the way over and WHUMP his rack hit the ground on the other side! I laughed out loud literally. The doe he was guarding (Mrs Buford) was not so impressed. She gave him a look that said, "And you want to breed with me?". He kept running off those little bucks, man was it cool to watch. I watched 8 rubs get made.

Today, not too much activity. Watched a buck fawn get scared by a grouse in the morning and my brother shot a doe from my stand in the evening. Brought one of the twin boys out with me and for a 3.5 yr old boy, he did GREAT. I did sit in Dad's new enclosed stand so he didnt get cold. We saw about 15 does, but all too far away.

I certainly can appreciate how lucky I am to have a stand like that. for those that dont get deer, remember, it is the experience and watching nature. You can have a great hunt without shooting a deer! as I think back on it, there were two highlights that really stuck out. #1 watching Mr. Buford whack his own head on the ground and #2 seeing that fischer.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
Good job Joel. Should be some good eating.

Dave, one of the local weather gurus says we may see 60* here with very high winds today.

Suppossed to be a big weather change starting Tuesday. Much colder with a Rain/snow mix.

Thanks,Bill.I just wish I would have gotten a chance to try out the 450,but at least I will have plenty of time to get the right load worked up. smile

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BrentD
Originally Posted by fluffy
I scored on a little forkhorn right at dusk.barely had time to take a few pics and field dress before it was dark.If I could get the pic uploaded>:-( Id put it up.

Sounds like you healed in time after all. Two weeks ago, I was wondering if you would be still standing...

Congratulations.

Brent

I made a trip to the doc early last week,or it would have been close.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Wow. I dont even know where to start. An unbelievable day on Saturnday and I never fired a shot. I will start out like this....from 11:00 to 11:30 I didnt have any deer in sight. From 6:20pm to 6:30 pm I didnt either. The entire rest of the day, I had deer in view from my stand at less than 50 yards! I climbed up in the dark and stayed all day until dark. The whole day, I had deer bedded or loitering around me. I passed on one really big 6 pointer (I figured 15 inch inside spread) pretty much all day. He was bedded within 30 yards for hours. he crossed my shooting lanes 34 times (ayep, I counted!).

At one point, I had the big 6 at 20 yards in my NE shooting lane...at the same time a small 6 was at 40 yards....at the same time another small 6 was at 60 yards....at the same time 2 does were outside the lane but inside 40 yards...and to top it all off, all the deer and I were watching a fischer at 20 yards! I couldnt tell you how many little bucks I passed on....5? 10? 20? Depends on how many I saw twice.

I passed on a dang nice 9 pointer early. He was about 15 inches inside and had about 7 inch tines. Didnt have good mass, so I passed. he was 2.5 years old. Boy, that was really hard to do, but I am okay with it. I know he was mine if'n I would have wanted as he was in the crosshairs, safety off, broadside at 40 yards in my shooting lane. he should be something really nice next year!

The big 6 (I named him Mr. Buford) kept falling asleep and jerking awake...it was hilarious to watch. At one point, he was curled up like a dog and his head flipped all the way over and WHUMP his rack hit the ground on the other side! I laughed out loud literally. The doe he was guarding (Mrs Buford) was not so impressed. She gave him a look that said, "And you want to breed with me?". He kept running off those little bucks, man was it cool to watch. I watched 8 rubs get made.

Today, not too much activity. Watched a buck fawn get scared by a grouse in the morning and my brother shot a doe from my stand in the evening. Brought one of the twin boys out with me and for a 3.5 yr old boy, he did GREAT. I did sit in Dad's new enclosed stand so he didnt get cold. We saw about 15 does, but all too far away.

I certainly can appreciate how lucky I am to have a stand like that. for those that dont get deer, remember, it is the experience and watching nature. You can have a great hunt without shooting a deer! as I think back on it, there were two highlights that really stuck out. #1 watching Mr. Buford whack his own head on the ground and #2 seeing that fischer.

geez,what part of the state do you hunt in? certainly not the same as me.
I saw ONE deer.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Berettaman

Have room for one more? wink

I don't feed em I eat em
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
A trace of snow this morning with more falling. Still way too windy but I'm headed out anyways.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Freezer pleasers and fuzzy brown wind chimes to you.

[Linked Image]

Wood is Good.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haha them 2on the right are gonna be some good eatin did uou club tgem when they stopped to nurse? ( im kidding i flip fawns every year for camp meat)

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wink The two on the right add up to 131 lbs. The spiker on the left is 132 lbs. We split the meat down the middle. Two fawns left with my Uncle and Cousin.

Wood is Good.
Page 794 of 1,842 1 2 792 793 794 795 796 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, achlupsa, 35, 5 invisible), 1,536 guests, and 815 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.