Hop To
Page 795 of 1,842 1 2 793 794 795 796 797 1841 1842
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Ha! Congrats guys!

Hey, is the damn wind ever going to calm some? We're noticing more westerly winds this morning so at least the trees will fall in a different direction today.
wink
With the west wind maybe our weather will return to normal now. The sun is up now, wind blowin like a mofo and a few tiny flakes of snow now and then.

Something clever here.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Two fatalities this years guys from tree stands. Be careful out there. One north of us guys stand just collapsed and one over near Viginia guys clothes started on fire from lighting his heater and he fell out.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Some happy hunters. Congrats.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Ha! Congrats guys!

Hey, is the damn wind ever going to calm some? We're noticing more westerly winds this morning so at least the trees will fall in a different direction today.
wink
With the west wind maybe our weather will return to normal now. The sun is up now, wind blowin like a mofo and a few tiny flakes of snow now and then.

Another windy day here Dave with a high of 50*. Big changes come Tuesday for us. Rain and colder. Just heard 1" to 3" of snow for the area Wednesday morning. Unfortunately it won't last long because it's back up to 50* by the weekend.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The wind is supposed to die down and move to north'ish. Mucho better for most of the stands I have set up right now.

Learning lots about these woods. Figuring out stand locations just from being out in the woods. One of the biggest deals is seeing how the wind affects each area. I still haven't found any real bedding areas, but there is still hundreds of acres I've yet to explore. Hell, I might even see a deer soon. smile

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
4ster,
Look at the difference in oranges on the clothes of you three....what a variation! Some yellowish, some pinkish, some reddish.

Cutting up deer this afternoon. Then, mebbe a little sit with the other little boy to see if we can scrounge up a stinky ol rutty buck.

The day here is clear blue skies, but some wind. not as bad as the weekend, but still some wind.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Wow. I dont even know where to start. An unbelievable day on Saturnday and I never fired a shot. I will start out like this....from 11:00 to 11:30 I didnt have any deer in sight. From 6:20pm to 6:30 pm I didnt either. The entire rest of the day, I had deer in view from my stand at less than 50 yards! I climbed up in the dark and stayed all day until dark. The whole day, I had deer bedded or loitering around me. I passed on one really big 6 pointer (I figured 15 inch inside spread) pretty much all day. He was bedded within 30 yards for hours. he crossed my shooting lanes 34 times (ayep, I counted!).

At one point, I had the big 6 at 20 yards in my NE shooting lane...at the same time a small 6 was at 40 yards....at the same time another small 6 was at 60 yards....at the same time 2 does were outside the lane but inside 40 yards...and to top it all off, all the deer and I were watching a fischer at 20 yards! I couldnt tell you how many little bucks I passed on....5? 10? 20? Depends on how many I saw twice.

I passed on a dang nice 9 pointer early. He was about 15 inches inside and had about 7 inch tines. Didnt have good mass, so I passed. he was 2.5 years old. Boy, that was really hard to do, but I am okay with it. I know he was mine if'n I would have wanted as he was in the crosshairs, safety off, broadside at 40 yards in my shooting lane. he should be something really nice next year!

The big 6 (I named him Mr. Buford) kept falling asleep and jerking awake...it was hilarious to watch. At one point, he was curled up like a dog and his head flipped all the way over and WHUMP his rack hit the ground on the other side! I laughed out loud literally. The doe he was guarding (Mrs Buford) was not so impressed. She gave him a look that said, "And you want to breed with me?". He kept running off those little bucks, man was it cool to watch. I watched 8 rubs get made.

Today, not too much activity. Watched a buck fawn get scared by a grouse in the morning and my brother shot a doe from my stand in the evening. Brought one of the twin boys out with me and for a 3.5 yr old boy, he did GREAT. I did sit in Dad's new enclosed stand so he didnt get cold. We saw about 15 does, but all too far away.

I certainly can appreciate how lucky I am to have a stand like that. for those that dont get deer, remember, it is the experience and watching nature. You can have a great hunt without shooting a deer! as I think back on it, there were two highlights that really stuck out. #1 watching Mr. Buford whack his own head on the ground and #2 seeing that fischer.

That sounds like a great day!

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats 4 S ter!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Hey wait just a cotton pickin minute!

I know what Dave is up to! He's gone and figured out a way to have a back up weapon in the stand without having to carry another heavy rifle across the swamp!

Why that sneaky bugger is smugglin a rock shootin, pump action weiner wifle!

grin

Wow !!! Here I am trying to read over a months worth of chicken buck posts . Trying to get to the end and say hi .
This one ...... Too funny . Rooster .... I'm still rolling , my stomach muscles hurt. grin

Dave , I hope this all passes as painlessly as can be and you all have a great season.
Now back a bunch of pages to see where I left off ..

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A question .
Would a deer ( or any other critter like a coyote ) pee on a rub on a tree ?
Saw this last week , the leaves had been off the maple trees for a couple of weeks , this lil tree ( 5" or so diameter ) had a rub that didn't look "that day " fresh , no fresh shreddings on the ground. But a fair sized wet spot on part of it.

Any guesses ??? confused

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mt lion

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe its leaking?
We should call the Amber lamps....

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So probably sap still draining down and the rub was freshened up in the 2-3 hours after I walked by it on my way out ?

Phil

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by M1894
So probably sap still draining down and the rub was freshened up in the 2-3 hours after I walked by it on my way out ?

I'm guessin its sap

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Did it smell?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really didn't pay much attention to the rub on the way out so I'm not sure what it looked like then. My goal that day was to hike out the several miles and visit the place where my Dads , and his friends ashes are. They started coming to this area around 1947 . They both asked to have their ashes put on this lil hill . ( in the adirondacks they call this a mtn lol ) I obliged and his friends son obliged .
Was not about hunting that day ,it was about taking time to visit , say hi , some prayers , and thanks for giving me the oportunity to be able to also enjoy that area.

[Linked Image]

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A huge THANK YOU to T-Zone for having me up to hunt with him and his BIL. Man, that wind was tough. I rode that stinkin' tree stand around the whole first day, but unfortunately the wind was blowing into one of the areas I was trying to watch. 'Never saw a deer on Saturday. Boy, the northwoods hunting is a whole different critter from what I've been used to for the last 20 years when I hunted down by Brainerd. 'Did a little exploring Sunday evening-found a newer clear cut and spooked a deer in some heavy pines bordering the cut on my way out. No chance for a shot.

Congrats to those who filled tags. I'm hoping to get out at least for a couple day hunts yet, so my season ain't over!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Some Indiana boys got it done today, actually my bro and me so far but I'm still in a tree looking for a doe.

Pics soon

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats Tom. Hope it was a B&C turdy pt buck!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You guys ever still hunt up there? In stiff winds, it can be pretty productive. The wind covers a lot of movement and noise for you.

Page 795 of 1,842 1 2 793 794 795 796 797 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, afisher, 6 invisible), 1,474 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.