OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm talking military pistol here...

My vote is the S&W M&P.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The FN (the 9mm or 45, not the 5.7) looks suitable as well though I haven't shot one. But I'm sure everyone will differ on what constitutes "state of the art". It hurts me to recognize that probably includes plastic construction.

Last edited by RufusG; 11/07/11. Reason: clarify intent
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
+1. I think a Glock in 45 GAP should be considered if a 45 cartridge is desired, or chamber the M&P for 45 GAP.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The 5.7 FN. It will shoot through alot of body armor that no other handgun will. Light, very easy to shoot, and holds 20 rds. Very easy to maintain, etc. E

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If it is durable and easy to maintain the FN makes a lot of sense...it is the choice of Mexican drug dealers and they surly knows what kills people...

Another big plus is lack of recoil...a big training plus...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Eremicus
The 5.7 FN. It will shoot through alot of body armor that no other handgun will. Light, very easy to shoot, and holds 20 rds. Very easy to maintain, etc. E

+1 for this being the current state of the art.

Although, hard to argue with the XD or XD-M platform. Seems to have the toughness of the Glock with better ergonomics.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
M&P< since by military i assume you mean U.S.

They require a manual safety button.

Plus, the M&P's are great guns.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For me it would have to be the FN. While not a standard caliber I was impressed with the design, function and shootability of the gun. VERY light recoil, impressive penetration, ease of use and should be very easy to train new shooters in how to use and use well. FN has a long history of great military small arms design and this 5.7 pistol is a prime example.

James Dunn

[email protected]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

OK you pistol, Art Deco/State of the Art( whatever the Hell that means) gun nuts

My answer to the question,,,,The Mauser Broom Handle

99savage308

..NRA Life Member ..

.."There are only two things in life worth having. A woman from anywhere and a fine Swiss watch."..
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I considered the FN 5.7, but the jury�s still out on the real effectiveness of the cartridge in neutralizing an enemy. True there have been some shootings that have resulted in corpses, but just killing someone; hell, you can do that with a Red Ryder if you try hard enough.

If the cartridge proves out, I�d consider switching my choice, but at this point I just remain skeptical.

In the realm of body armor penetration, there are a couple of cartridges that could play out if further developed:

7.62x25 Tokarev
.357 Sig

Both could be rather interesting if someone got real creative on the body armor issue.

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Except for SOCOM troops and Military Police IMHO pistols are useless compared to issuing an M4 carbine.

And for support troops the M4 should be strictly a semi-automatic version!

I say this with 25 years of Military service time experience.

Feel free to disagree with me.

Last edited by idahoguy101; 11/07/11.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I considered the FN 5.7, but the jury�s still out on the real effectiveness of the cartridge in neutralizing an enemy. True there have been some shootings that have resulted in corpses, but just killing someone; hell, you can do that with a Red Ryder if you try hard enough.

If the cartridge proves out, I�d consider switching my choice, but at this point I just remain skeptical.

In the realm of body armor penetration, there are a couple of cartridges that could play out if further developed:

7.62x25 Tokarev
.357 Sig

Both could be rather interesting if someone got real creative on the body armor issue.

The SMG loadings of the 7.62x25 Tokarev are awsome at punching body armour. Some of the Czech ammo was a mild steel jacket and I saw it punch both sides of a level 2 vest and then the oil drum it was hung on...impressive

James Dunn

[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
Except for SOCOM troops and Military Police IMHO pistols are useless compared to issuing an M4 carbine.

I do disagree. Taxpayers have more dollars invested in SOCOM assets (like me in a former life), but non-SOCOM troops have families to go home to also. Herbert McBride said it best, "A bayonet is what you country gives you when they are too damn cheap to buy you proper pistol". He carried his own 1911 in France. That is a big time UCMJ violation now thanks to Slick Willie.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I agree and disagree. Certainly whenever possible, take a rifle. But there are times, especially for military police, when a rifle just isn't practical.

And on the battlefield, a handgun is awfully comforting when your rifle either goes down, or runs dry when the action is hot & heavy.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Thank you Take a Knee for your service.

I will agree with your position IF and WHEN the Military begins training it's ordinary personel on how use use a pistol.

For the 99% of troops who are not MPs or SOCOM... they are not properly trained. A one day a year qualification course is not enough... IMHO, to carry a pistol.

I respectfully agree to disagree.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Thank you Take a Knee for your service.

I will agree with your position IF and WHEN the Military begins training it's ordinary personel on how use use a pistol.

For the 99% of troops who are not MPs or SOCOM... they are not properly trained. A one day a year qualification course is not enough... IMHO, to carry a pistol.

I respectfully agree to disagree.

+1. The well trained soldier will do well with whatever he or she is issued. The untrained will be a detriment with whatever you guys decide is best.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wish the Military would back to the 1911

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The M1911 in .45 Auto, what else did you expect? smile

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I'm talking military pistol here...

My vote is the S&W M&P.
38 S&W or the fire-breathing 38 Special?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,325
Posts18,487,480
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.