Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice bulldog.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

My answer to the question,

I have a rifle or slug shotgun or a bow with broadhead arrows. Duhhhhhhhhhhh.

My question to the person asking the question of a sidearm while hunting is: Why do you have to carry a sidearm when you have one of the above? Dumb just Dumb

99savage308

..NRA Life Member ..

.."There are only two things in life worth having. A woman from anywhere and a fine Swiss watch."..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Jframe in 38SPL...

cause it is normally being packed out from Kroger

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I suppose I am one of the dumb ones because I have my .44 on my hip all the time when in the woods whether I have another firearm or not. It is always there and always ready to blast something that may need stopping. The last time I went into the woods without it a big toothy shoulderless creature with attention-getting sound effects made me wish I had not left it in the truck.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Notropis
I suppose I am one of the dumb ones because I have my .44 on my hip all the time when in the woods whether I have another firearm or not. It is always there and always ready to blast something that may need stopping. The last time I went into the woods without it a big toothy shoulderless creature with attention-getting sound effects made me wish I had not left it in the truck.
A .44 Mag. CCI shotshell will just shred a snake.

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Ruger Super Blackhawk, .44mag, 7.5 inch barrel, in the Cabelas bandoleer holster for scoped wheelgun of that size, worn crossdraw on my chest. It may be made by Uncle Mikes. Mine isn't scoped so the revolver rides a little deep in the holster, which can be solved by stuffing a rag down at the bottom.

I'd recommend either low light sights or my solution -- a blob of white enamel on the front sight. I assume chances are good that if I have to use it the light won't be very good and the range will be short.

The holster is comfortable hiking, standing, or sitting. I've never felt the need to try running with it. The holster can be slid around to whatever position is comfortable and can be slid around on your back if you're gonna pack while fishing, and then it can easily be slid back to the front for access.

It is flapped for rain, and the flap can be tied up out of the way if you want a little quicker access. With the flap closed and the gun riding deep, it's very secure and won't fall out.

One drawback. Worn this way I don't tie it down, so drawing is a 2-hand affair, one to draw and one to hold the holster.

Material is camo fabric with Velcro fasteners. Altogether, I'm quite happy with the rig -- and the price, which was about $35. Anyone who tries one won't be risking much $$.

Altogether I think I could hit a bear with it if he had my foot in his mouth and wasn't shakin' me too hard.

sometimesimiss

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Cole, My first two chambers have shot in them except when it is very cold outside. They do a good job up close. It is going to be in the 70's today so I am getting ready to put on my snake boots before I strap on my Vaquero. My rifle of today will be a 1972 Marlin 336 in 30-30 I picked up the other day. It should be a pleasant midday hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
.41 Mag Blackhawk....especially in bear country.

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Glock G20

Glockin' Bob
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." -- Thomas Jefferson
"
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I grab either the Ruger Bisley, 45lc with the 5" barrel or a Glock 35 with the double tap LBT style hardcast load. I am really liking the G35 as a camp gun with the light attached.

I dont carry a pistol while hunting with a rifle but I ditch the rifle after the first load out and carry the pistol for the remaining loads.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by boatboy
Why not?

There are many quality autos including modern polymer high capacity types that are extremely reliable and easy to shoot well.

Certianly not a critism I just think most guys here are very traditional

I also love 1911s and 3rd gen S&Ws
I guess If I can carry a 6909 in a concrete jungle it would also work in the woods

Hank

You won't get any argument from me on this. Although I prefer a DA 44 or 45 caliber revolver for most hunting, fishing, and woodswalking, that is my personal preference based on my experience and my comfort level. Most folks do not have the years and the thousands and thousands of rounds of double-action revolver shooting I have. I'm not saying you have to have 100,000 rounds of revolver shooting under your belt to carry one for serious use in the woods, but if you have plenty of years and plenty of rounds of 45 ACP thru your pet 1911 behind you, that's the logical gun for you to pack in the woods, IMHO.

I firmly believe you should carry a sidearm that you are intimately familiar and comfortable with. Since most folks are autopistol shooters primarily, it's logical that they should carry an auto in the woods as well. The theoretical advantages of a DA revolver over a gun you know like it's an extension of your own hand are, in real life, of no consequence.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 99savage308

My answer to the question,

I have a rifle or slug shotgun or a bow with broadhead arrows. Duhhhhhhhhhhh.

My question to the person asking the question of a sidearm while hunting is: Why do you have to carry a sidearm when you have one of the above? Dumb just Dumb

Hmm. I guess you didn't really read any of the posts on this thread prior to posting your response.

Dumb just Dumb, indeed.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,301
Posts18,487,087
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.