Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What hardware are you using and how's your results?

What's your limitations?

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I put a Leapers 4x20 mildot with built-in carry handle mount on my A2. It's simple and straight forward. Reticle is kind of thick, but hey, it's not a precision rig.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/72...th-carry-handle-and-flat-top-mount-matte

B
B
What is it you are trying to accomplish?

If you want a precision type optic on the rifle, then my best advice is to swap the upper receiver (assuming it is an A1 or A2 upper and not a detachable carry handle you are using) for a flat top and mount the optic at a normal sight height. If you are using a fixed front sight base any optic with a magnification level of 3x and higher will "see through" the FSB. If anything, at the lower power setting (~3x) the FSB might be a barely visible blur in the bottom of the scope.

Optics mounted on carry handles are much too high for a proper and consistent check weld using standard stocks. You can alleviate some of the problem by using check risers on the stock, but then you lose the ability to use your irons comfortably. Thus, it isn't a really elegant solution - you are trying to further modify the rifle to fit the optic instead of fitting the optic the best way to the rifle.

Now, if you are wanting something like a dot (e.g. an Aimpoint), then it might be comfortable enough and "do-able". I personally have tried Aimpoints in ARMS mounts on A2s and didn't like it too much. But the Aimpoint and other similar dot sights have no (or minimal, so as to not be an issue) parallax. This is different than with a more precision, magnified optic.

Just my thoughts based on my experiences. What works for me doesn't have to be the choice for you. wink Just understand there are some potential issues with mounting optics that high on an AR.

Best of luck to you. If you happen to be anywhere near Winder, GA and you want to swap receivers, I'll gladly swap the receivers for you at no charge (well, you buy the new receiver; I'll do the labor - LOL).

Take care,

Mark

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have a test scope on a leatherwood mount. Because in comp we shot only service rifle irons. Meaning I had to test off the carry handle. Its shot groups of under 2 inches at 600 yards that way.
I don't care for the ergonomics, but it does work.

The only other way to test is that I have a flat bottom test upper, that I put new barrels in to work like a BR gun testing the barrel, and get top loads and then put it onto a regular upper. Generally the loads are good or not far off.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Solid talk gents, thanks.

I got a friend that has made a plea for a serious culling operation at his farm, and an AR is the only semi-auto I have access to. Bushy XM15 E2S, 9 twist, carbine barrel.

Considering the plan is to anchor the elder does first, I want to make sure the first few salvos of my contribution are up to snuff, although I never had any problem with the open sights "back in the day" I am feeling my age limitations lately, as well as the fact that this isn't me on my farm, this is a friend who is seeing cash crops get eaten.

The first fire range will probably be about 150-200 yards. A fixed 4x will be more than adequate. Herd size varies any given day from 5 to 20+ with an average of 12.

Once the fracas begins, I will probably go back to the iron sights, just depends how I feel.

I've enlisted one other campfire ne'er-do-well to help. All the meat we whack gets donated to the needy, which are plenty in this area.

Basically, I don't want to screw this up.

Last edited by RWE; 11/08/11.
IC B2

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BookHound
If you happen to be anywhere near Winder, GA and you want to swap receivers, I'll gladly swap the receivers for you at no charge (well, you buy the new receiver; I'll do the labor - LOL).

Take care,

Mark

Next time I'm going to see the wife's brother, I may take you up on that. He's in Lawrenceville.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
To be sure, I'd be more worried about choosing the right bullet rather than a scope issue.

And if first shots are at 200 the next will be further, I don't see moving back to irons unless there was a much more valid reason than I could think of..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
To be sure, I'd be more worried about choosing the right bullet rather than a scope issue.

Been suggested, as factory ammo goes, Winchester 64 gr power points.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I prefer tsx, but no flaws on a 63 sierra. That being said I wouldn't loose sleep if all I had was a 64 or a 60 partition. I would loose sleep with any 55 soft point basically, though a few are tougher, most are really fragile. Hornady comes to mind to being tough IIRC. But 64 and you should be fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried a non-magnified ACOG on a carry handle and hated it. It was completely unnatural to me for it to be mounted so high. I tried a cheek riser thing, but then couldn't use irons. Not to mention how tall and top heavy it was.

I can't imagine anything magnified being better.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I tried a non-magnified ACOG on a carry handle and hated it. It was completely unnatural to me for it to be mounted so high. I tried a cheek riser thing, but then couldn't use irons. Not to mention how tall and top heavy it was.

Yeah, that is so 80's as well. An A3 upper ain't that much money.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

No such animal as a non-magnified ACOG.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Went back and checked. Trijicon, but not ACOG.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am using an AIMS mount, with their flush mount STANAG rings on my Bushmaster. Scope is a Weaver Classic Extreme 1.5-4.5X. German #4, lighted reticle.

I don't see any downside, or limitations.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,353 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,987
Posts18,499,869
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.