Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
The Bayou Rifles LR championship was this past Sunday. It consisted of three 20 round matches at 1000 yards. I was on relay 2 of 3. The wind was right to left justing to about 8-10 by the time I got to shoot my first match. I dialed in two MOAs right.

My first match was very decent as I shot a 192-6X. I even had an X as my third sighter, but I have standardized on 5 sighters for the first match and two on subsequent matches. I did catch an 8 out the left side around shot 14 and yet I never saw a wind change, before or after. The next shot with the same hold was an X, go figure. I did see other targets with leftish results at that time.

I shot my second match about 45 minutes later and the wind had picked up some more in the meantime. My first two wighters were 9s, but the first for record was an X. I like that. However, there was quite a bit of grumbling on the line and low scores being called out. I shot a 186-3X with three 8s this time. I was just happy not to drop too many points. By the pit change, I knew I had won the first match by several points and seemed to be leading in the second, but many shooters had not posted or shot their second match yet.

A few hours later, when I got back to the line, the conditions were totally different, the wind was gusting and snappy, with sudden let-offs and surprising direction changes. I took my two sighters which showed me I needed to add another MOA to the scope and then I went to work. Getting beat up by the conditions, that is. I could not find the 10 ring to save my life. The flags were doing their famous impression of 0bama, lying like the cheap rugs they are. I even shot a 5 out the left right in the middle of the string, something I had not done in years. I have no clue where that came from, but it was directly at 9 o'clock. I almost wanted to give up at that point, but I actually was able to brush it off and just get back to shooting each shot. I struggled and managed to eke out a couple of 10s and one solitary X, and a few more 9s and one more 8. I had just thrown away the championship by shooting a 179-1X. Or so I though. I was on the last relay of the day, so I was the last one to post my score. Needless to say, I did not win the third match, but the others had not done any better and the guy who did win it was only a few points ahead of me. I should always remember that if I am struggling with the conditions, so is everyone else. In that case, it's a matter of who screws up the least.

I ended up winning the championship, but I shot a 5! I still can't believe it. What a day.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Congrats Denys!!!

Nice shooting...

A "5" huh grin Tell me again, the wind is my friend???

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Very nice and congrats.

Lets see now... grins... all those sighters and you needed another MOA at the end of the day for the last match, so on a range you know well, your SWAG was off at least MOA and possibly more. Thats 10 inches or better. How would that fair at a shot on game in the field without flags... OR a wind meter.

Grins of course.

Damn fine job. As you well know, its he who screws up the least that wins. Some days thats a 200, some days its pathetic. Take the win and grin for me! Oh yeah, you said that already! :o) Motto, never give up... I gave up once, and had I just kept shooting I'd have legged out with a miss in the match....that was supposedly a crossfire....

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Congrats Denys!!!

Nice shooting...

A "5" huh grin Tell me again, the wind is my friend???

Friends can be very mean.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by rost495
Very nice and congrats.

Lets see now... grins... all those sighters and you needed another MOA at the end of the day for the last match, so on a range you know well, your SWAG was off at least MOA and possibly more. Thats 10 inches or better. How would that fair at a shot on game in the field without flags... OR a wind meter.

Grins of course.

Jeff

The wind at the firing line had not changed. The flags at 200 were lazy, but the flags at 600 and 800 were very busy. Tell me again how a windmeter would have helped me?

It was a fun match, but I really came close to screwing the pooch.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It would verify that your starting input was still correct. Its a starting point. Then you always have to consider whats going on as you go downrange.

Close to screwing the pooch? Ah hell you won, thats all that I see there.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 25aught6, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 222Sako, 49 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,923
Posts18,518,859
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.