Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
i don't let ANYONE mount my scopes. when i get a factory rifle i take off the factory bases, if it came with them, and do it again MY way.

Just to give a bit of the other side of the coin, you can't believe how many 'mount-their-own-scope' shooters have brought in their firearms for sighting problems of many types and I wish I had taken and kept pics of these results... You'd LYAO.. The best one was a base held on with a radiator clamp and some type of moldable metal compound.. I had to clamp a Vice-Grip to my pinkie to keep from laughing..

Like I said above - mount it yourself IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.. Otherwise - take it to a pro.. Many of my customers bring in their rifles and scopes to have me mount them. Some bring their own rings/bases, some don't.. But when I'm done, they're ON - and I usually charge $5-10 tops....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
HR IC

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Ken,

people keep pointing to my post above but I don't put myself above anyone. I have made mistakes, just not those mistakes. My youngest brother did the same stupid stuff that the OP did only it was through Cabela's.

I gave him the same rubbing I gave the OP.

But if you also notice, I'm one of two who has chimed in with information pertaining to his second question looking for information about maintenance etc....

Last edited by CLB; 11/10/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenneth
I'm willing to bet WIMN is fairly young and still in the learning process about these things, Do we really need to be so condescending?

As far as Gander, I'm also willing to bet no "gunsmith" was involved, just a young counter monkey making 8 bucks an hour.

Yep.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldnt care if the rifle I was buying from gander had free mounting, Id still mount it myself then I know its done partly right, wink. Mounting bases and rings is childs play, and I use Loc tite. BTW, what were the original bases and rings they mounted for you?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As long as youre going to buy all these tools to do your own maintenance, might as well get one of these, Ive got one and they work very well for securing your rigs, but I got mine for free since I did some gun cleaning & reloading for a co worker. Well, really it was his kids, he didnt want it anymore. confused
http://www.ctkprecision.com/gunvise.aspx

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Redneck
i don't let ANYONE mount my scopes. when i get a factory rifle i take off the factory bases, if it came with them, and do it again MY way.

Just to give a bit of the other side of the coin, you can't believe how many 'mount-their-own-scope' shooters have brought in their firearms for sighting problems of many types and I wish I had taken and kept pics of these results... You'd LYAO.. The best one was a base held on with a radiator clamp and some type of moldable metal compound.. I had to clamp a Vice-Grip to my pinkie to keep from laughing..

Like I said above - mount it yourself IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.. Otherwise - take it to a pro.. Many of my customers bring in their rifles and scopes to have me mount them. Some bring their own rings/bases, some don't.. But when I'm done, they're ON - and I usually charge $5-10 tops....

Damn. I know how to mount scopes but if you were in my town, I would have you do them.

You don't charge enough.

W
WIMN Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by gorskij
I wouldnt care if the rifle I was buying from gander had free mounting, Id still mount it myself then I know its done partly right, wink. Mounting bases and rings is childs play, and I use Loc tite. BTW, what were the original bases and rings they mounted for you?

I bought some rings and bases from Talley per a friend's recommendation and gave them to the gunsmith. Gander only carried Leupold and other rings/bases.

Originally Posted by gorskij
As long as youre going to buy all these tools to do your own maintenance, might as well get one of these, Ive got one and they work very well for securing your rigs, but I got mine for free since I did some gun cleaning & reloading for a co worker. Well, really it was his kids, he didnt want it anymore. confused
http://www.ctkprecision.com/gunvise.aspx

Thanks, I have been thinking about a gun vice even if just for cleaning my guns. Keep forgetting to buy one though. Will have to put it on my list for the next time I buy shooting equipment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive got these TPS rings on both of my 700 308s, theyre more of a tactical ring but theyre damn sturdy, had Gunsmith Jake http://gunsmithjake.com
mount the bases on the "Classic" stocked 308 since he drilled the 8-40 holes, and he got them perfectly aligned, to boot, $15/hole, they better be straight.LOL
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by gorskij; 11/10/11.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
don't laugh but i use fingernail polish on my screws and i make it all farmer tight and i have never had a problem with my scopes or mounts.

i do however skip the use of jb weld and hose clamps.

smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
don't laugh but i use fingernail polish on my screws and i make it all farmer tight and i have never had a problem with my scopes or mounts.

smile

Same here on the finger nail polish... I use clear. What color do you prefer?

grin g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The instructions that came with the Jewel ave. Redfield scopes recomended fingernail polish if locktite was not avalable.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have both Loc Tite as well as clear nail polish within reach...I use what ever I grab. Have used red in a pinch smile

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to use blue fingernail polish, but switched to clear when I realized that any squeeze out might scare the deer.....

Deal with it.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Gosh, I never use Loc Tite on any screws. I must have been doing it wrong all these years. Then again, never had a scope base or ring set come loose either. How can that be?

Rule 1: Talley mounts suck - used them once then tossed them in the scrap bin, never to buy another. Never ever use a vertically split ring that also clamps on the scope and base. Both functions must be independent of each other.

Rule 2: Check base for perfect fit to the receiver, if a two piece base doesn't line up vertically or horizontally, try different pairs and orientation until one set does. If that doesn't work, switch to one piece base such as the Ken Farrell and epoxy bed it so its flat and stress free.

Rule 3: Use Burris Signature Zee rings on the Farrell base or other Weaver type base. The offset bushings can adjust out any error.

Rule 4: Strip all oil and preservative from all holes in receiver, base(s), rings and screws. Be certain the front ring screw does not bind on the barrel threads when tightened, there must be clearance when it is tight against the base.

Rule 5: Work each screw up and down in its respective hole several times, then clean everything with acetone and blow dry with compressed air. Do both the base and the rings.

Rule 6: Mount the base, torque the screws with a torque gauge to specification. Mount the rings, tighten the base clamp screws to specification with the torque gauge. Then mount the scope with the bushings, align the reticle and adjust eye relief, check it again, then tighten the ring screws in a cross pattern until they are exactly the same torque as indicated by the gauge. Torx screws are best.

My rifles, without Loc Tite, have traveled hither and yon over highway and field for years, and not one scope ever came loose or lost its zero - except the ones in Talley mounts. Just my prejudice but I'm sticking to it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Ruger #3 Liberty I bought in 1976, in 45-70 I run some 500 gr Hornadys maxed out, just below a 458Win Mg, through it, it has a Redfield Wide Field 1 1/2x5 on it I mounted back then, and nothing has come loose in 36 years except some teeth!!.

Last edited by Bob257AI; 11/10/11.

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
lol i used pink once cuz that was all my wifey left out where i could find it. sold the rifle and the guy wanted to know what the pink stuff was when he took off the mounts lol

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
do us and the deer a favor and just go back to the city, hunting and guns is not your thing, unbelievable, i was mounting scopes on 22's when i was 8 and doing it properly

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

smile

I agree totally, the JB weld and hose clamp idea is way overrated grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
acooper1983,
real nice attitude toward some one, maybe when you made your first mistake someone should have kick your butt to the city, Oh I guess your perfect!! And you had someone to teach you to mount them, did it come from lactating, or osmosis thats what he is learning here now.

Last edited by Bob257AI; 11/10/11.

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use blue fingernail polish to match the blue tape on the muzzle. I like to be color coordinated

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (7mm_Loco, 338Rules, 6MMWASP, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 35, 10 invisible), 1,442 guests, and 780 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,658
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.