Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Re: # of rifles built, who builds more?

Remington or Gap?

MY point is, I don't want a semi-production run rifle where high volume production is cranked out vs. 1 man working on 1 gun, till completion of build, and testing.

It's just how I see it. Gap rifles I am sure are good rifles, and whoever buys them from Gap or 2nd hand, that's fine with me, it's not my money.

The OP asked opinions, we all have them.

For a hunting rifle, I'd buy a Sako or Cooper before spending 2x or 3x the $$$ for a Gap. Just me.

If building, I like the idea of a 1 man operation.

Fine wine takes time.......I know Robert invests ALOT of HIS time into his work.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
How exactly is a GAP a "semi-production" rifle and a Gradous not? They both require a custom action, often use the same barrels, cut their own chambers, thread and crown, etc. So, exactly what makes GAP's not custom and Gradous a "true" custom?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Huntr
So, exactly what makes GAP's not custom and Gradous a "true" custom?
Good question and IMO they are both custom rifle builders, although chances are fit,finish,detail are more likely to be better w/Gradous. In the past 15yrs I doubt you'd find a dis-satisfied Gradous customer....already read a few problems with GAP on this thread.

If I remember correctly 300MAG recieved a GAP that had steel showing thru the cerekote & would not chamber. Gradous would never ship a rifle that way, nor if it did not shoot 1/2' or less, it would not ship. I consider him a good friend and know his policy's when it comes to building a custom.

I'm sure GAP will build you a nice accurate rifle Huntr, I just prefer to take my chances with someone that has a perfect track record. Someday I wouldnt mind having a Kampfeld or Fosnaugh rifle also....just gotta win the lotto. smile

Last edited by slg888; 11/07/11.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 65BR
For a hunting rifle, I'd buy a Cooper before spending 2x or 3x the $$$ for a Gap.
You just missed out on NIB .243 &.308 Cooper on SH Cliff. They were nice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Huntr, Stoney reflects my thoughts. GAP is custom no doubt, I just feel Robert does MORE of a custom touch...he has no deadlines - he takes the time to do ALL the work from A-Z w/the build, and all by himself.

It's just one person's perception.

Stoney, if things don't turn around.....I will have to sell the house, live in a tent, buy a Vanguard, and trade cheese from the cheese line in for some nickels to save for the McSwirly it will want smile Not to mention run a Trashco, and load from a Lee Loader.

I know a fellow who has a 6.5x47 Cooper for sale, but like you, I need to win the lottery.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
One last thing on Robert is how his customer relationship and satisfaction is so important to him. He treats you like family. During my last build he walked me through in detail on what parts to purchase and the details on how it was going to built.All of my questions were answered in detail and with respect.

In the past I had spent $1,000s and $1,000s of dollars on rifles from a very well known smith. When I finally had a chance to meet him in person and his shop, what a disappointment. During my brief meeting it seemed like I was a bother and a waist of his time even though I had made an appointment for a visit. Well he lost the my order on another one of his rifles because of this.

True there are a lot of tire kickers / dreamers out there that waste a lot of a smiths time but at the same time customer service and satisfaction is a big part of a sale with me. With Robert I not only have a gunsmith that will receive all of my future orders but I have also made a good friend.

Last edited by andrews1958; 11/10/11.
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GAP builds a great rifle and a lot of them. I remember talking to George about a feeding issue that was cartridge related but he was not willing to do any messages to get it to feed such as chamfering the chamber edge, feed rail work, etc. I'm talking paying work and to me working out such issues are the true measure of a smith vs. machinist.
While I was on the phone one of his smiths came in the office on a profane laden diatribe about "internet [bleep]". It went on for minutes and I thought it very unprofessional of George not to shut him up knowing I was on the phone.
Bottom line. They build a great rifle, have all the work they can handle, and can be aloof ,IMO.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by FVA
While I was on the phone one of his smiths came in the office on a profane laden diatribe about "internet [bleep]". It went on for minutes and I thought it very unprofessional of George not to shut him up
I guess GAP don't like the Campfire folks. "internet [bleep]" laugh

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 76 invisible), 2,959 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,479
Posts18,471,748
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.