-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barak: In a free society, all those parks would be private property.

Would like to read this poster's definition of a "free society".

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
"any prison I've ever seen--and I've seen a number of them."

Neat,.....great way to develop a "World View" if that's what you NEED,...

How, if I might ask does THAT qualify one to speak about FREEDOM ?

GTC
How can you really know about something until you've lost it?

Not real SURE about what you're asking there, sport, is that a "Trick Question" ?

Been FREE my entire life....Can't see that changing,....
Not in my immediate vicinity, anyhoo.

Must be a "Mindset" kinda' deal.

Prison free
3 free meals a day
Free medical care of the highest standard
Free protection from results of your actions
Free housing that is much better than the navy space wise.
Free gym membership, work outs.
Free mental health care
Free assistance in getting on SSDI upon release.

And the list goes on and on. What these goats think of freedom is the freedom from responsibility.

Why do I call them goats? Well, If you'll eat something someone else stole from the chow hall and carried around in his shorts, that's a goat.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
Barak: Liberals revere the laws and curse the thugs; conservatives curse the laws and revere the thugs. Neither group sees how inseparably connected they are.

I try to be fair and read for comprehension when folks on here seem to be thoughtful and sincere, and sometimes that causes me to rebut.

However, in my experience, the statement shown above seems to be deliberate nonsense. Anyone else see it differently - can you enlighten me about what this poster is trying to do/say?

It's easier to understand in context, where you can see which laws and which thugs are being referenced.

Last edited by Barak; 11/12/11. Reason: autocorrect

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Barak: Liberals revere the laws and curse the thugs; conservatives curse the laws and revere the thugs. Neither group sees how inseparably connected they are.

I try to be fair and read for comprehension when folks on here seem to be thoughtful and sincere, and sometimes that causes me to rebut.

However, in my experience, the statement shown above seems to be deliberate nonsense. Anyone else see it differently - can you enlighten me about what this poster is trying to do/say?
You need to substitute in your head the word "neocon" where he says conservative. He means neocons tend to hate programs ostensibly directed at helping the poor, but favor the increase in police power needed to manage the chaos which results from such leftist policies, while liberals love the liberal policies, but hate the increase in police power that was made necessary by the degradation of society caused by the liberal policies.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Barak: In a free society, all those parks would be private property.

No government, and thus no commons.

IC B2

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mostly I agree with you, but where do you get "of the highest standard" for medical care?

A friend of mine is a doctor who volunteers treating prisoners whenever she has a chance, and her assessment of prison medical care is somewhat different.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hawkeye: Having zero previous experience with that poster, am saying thanks for your deciphers. Appreciated !

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Free is free and everything else isn't, there are no levels. At the appearance of the first rule, freedom vanished.

There are only 3 crimes:
Injure the person of another.
Damage the property of another.
Infringe the rights of another.

In a free society there are no external rules, rule makers, or rule enforcers and the only rules that exist are self imposed. So long as no crime (as defined above) is committed there is no authority for initiation of force.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everyone. No one. You'd have much more power over (and responsibility for) yourself and your own affairs than you do now. You would have much less power over others and their affairs than you do now.

That's double speak. All I have to do is shoot you and take what you have. Those that work for you would then work for me unless they interfered in my shooting you then they wouldn't work for anybody.

Plenty of authority, but no initiation of force.

You need to explain what you mean by that.

I don't have to wait for the government to mow my lawn: I either do it myself or hire it done, or both. There's no reason I should have to wait for the government to protect me; I can do it myself or hire it done or both.

The government doesn't mow my lawn now. I do. The government doesn't protect me in the purest sense at present. Break into my home and I'll do the protecting. I'll have to explain to government later what happened but I think I can do that.

The best you can do is keep coercive political power out of the hands of men so that the influence of their unavoidable corruption is minimized.

The vehicle we have in place for accomplishing this is the electoral process. It works poorly but that's because we have so many people who are easily beguiled by politicians. In Barakistan you would have the same electorate as we have now except for those that are killed off when they tried to break into my home.

Bottom line: Utopia exists only in the dreams of dreamers. So long as a world is populated by men having a sin nature it can't exist. Any imaginings to the contrary are only subjects to be argued over coffee around the campfire. You may as well be contemplating Heaven and Hell.

Last edited by MColeman; 11/12/11.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
could just as easily have been talking about the Tea Party. Before they got co-opted and diluted into irrelevance by the political machine, they were pretty angry too, but they had no clear solution to any of the problems politicians had imposed on them other than electing more politicians.

Not a bit of reality do I see.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
conservatives worship the part of the state that kills people (soldiers, policemen, military contractors, etc.).

You could gag a maggot. I knew I should not have taken you off ignore, Back to ignore you go you worthless [bleep].

[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Free is free and everything else isn't, there are no levels. At the appearance of the first rule, freedom vanished.

There are only 3 crimes:

In a free society there are no external rules, rule makers, or rule enforcers and the only rules that exist are self imposed. So long as no crime (as defined above) is committed there is no authority for initiation of force.

This is why I speak of liberty, rather than freedom. Freedom is the absence of restraint. Liberty is the state in which the law interferes with your doing nothing that is your right to do. It only interferes with things you don't have a right to do. The latter amounts to acts of victimization, and nothing else. If you can't point to an authentic victim, then no crime has occurred.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why move them on at all?

Just take the opportunity offered and build a nice strong electric fence around them about 16 feet tall topped with razor wire and contain them in one place where they can't cause any more problems.
Call it an inner city zoo where people can come and see the strange animals.

The original international turd
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Barak
Originally Posted by 700LH
To compare these [bleep] to Randy Weaver is beyond the pale

At the moment, yes: none of them have been murdered yet.

they've been doing a pretty fair job trying to murder each other so far......other than the MSM...and Barak apparently, nobody takes these assclowns seriously enough to do them violence, but at some point their illegal, unsanitary, and criminal-ridden encampments are going to be disbanded, as they should have been on day one.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

There are only 3 crimes:

whatever thou would doest is the whole of the Law. does that about sum it up?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mostly I agree with you, but where do you get "of the highest standard" for medical care?

A friend of mine is a doctor who volunteers treating prisoners whenever she has a chance, and her assessment of prison medical care is somewhat different.

In Ohio, by mandate of the district court like most of the other prisoner "rights". Our inmates are treated at Ohio State University. We have a local Doctor on staff, but they also do telemed conferences. We have chronic care clinics for everything under the sun. Inmates get name brand drugs, not generic. Medical staff on sight 24/7. We run ambulances out all the time. Inmates sit at a local hospital if they can't take a 2 hour ride, in a private room with two officers.

Dental, eye care, podiatry, dietician services, regular blood draws, special diet meals. Not to mention an entire mental health system built within our framework and overseen my the department of mental health.

These guys are treated better than I was in the Navy, and better than Vets are today.

Last edited by crosshair; 11/12/11.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Huh.

Around here, medical services are pretty good when they're provided, but the waiting list is months if not years long. It's not unknown for an inmate to die after waiting in line for three months for a simple X-ray. One guy in my software-development class (yes, I understand that that's yet another indulgence) has been in a wheelchair for a couple of years with a dislocated hip, waiting for somebody to snap it back in. Most of the guys are missing at least one tooth--some of them all their teeth--because the only dental instruments available are forceps. Prescription mess like insulin and blood thinner are provided, but OTC drugs are sold in the commissary at street-plus prices.

In short, it seems like the sort of system where nothing is made available unless the department has specifically lost a lawsuit.

Not that I particularly object. You know by now what I think of tax-funded government services. It just didn't square with what you'd described.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

In short, it seems like the sort of system where nothing is made available unless the department has specifically lost a lawsuit.

Not that I particularly object. You know by now what I think of tax-funded government services. It just didn't square with what you'd described.

but what you've described doesn't square with reality....unless you work in some sort of rogure prison out of a bad movie. the feds and various prison do-gooder groups are all over state correctional institutions on medical care issues....and over issues far more trivial than what you describe.

I wonder, Barak, if you're not being played.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a friend who CAN'T stay out of jail. He goes in to get glasses, teeth, all the medical stuff, for free. He is basically homeless, and goes to jail a lot in the winter, when it's cold. That is my experience. But I do not WORK in a jail. You may see more than I do.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by crosshair

In Ohio, by mandate of the district court like most of the other prisoner "rights". Our inmates are treated at Ohio State University. We have a local Doctor on staff, but they also do telemed conferences. We have chronic care clinics for everything under the sun. Inmates get name brand drugs, not generic. Medical staff on sight 24/7. We run ambulances out all the time. Inmates sit at a local hospital if they can't take a 2 hour ride, in a private room with two officers.

Dental, eye care, podiatry, dietician services, regular blood draws, special diet meals. Not to mention an entire mental health system built within our framework and overseen my the department of mental health.

These guys are treated better than I was in the Navy, and better than Vets are today.
And that's a damn shame.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (2500HD, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 257robertsimp, 53 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,897
Posts18,518,402
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.