Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I've got a bear hunt lined up for this May. Will be hunting out of Cold Bay and was hoping to get some suggestions on gloves for this type of hunt. I'm guessing I'll be glassing for hours on end with rain, wind, and temps in the 40's. I was thinking about getting some waterfowl hunting gloves to wear while glassing to stay as warm and dry as possible, maybe some waterfowl mittens and wear some good liner gloves? Was even thinking about some of the lined, rubber fishing gloves? What would you guys suggest? Thanks!

GB1

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Why that's just plain silly,Doc. You're not going to get those bears to wear gloves! laugh Oh, you mean gloves for yourself. They're not very stylish, but the best I've ever used for similar purpose was the Army green wool gloves and cold weather covers. They have the trigger finger opening and slip resistant palms, and are very warm. They may be a little hard to find now, though.

Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Oregon research Furry Gloves - have used mine on

Fall Brown Bear 2007
Summer/FallDall sheep, Brown Bear 2008
Summer Dall Sheep 2009
Fall Brown Bear Mountain goat 2010
Summer Fall Dall Sheep, Black Bear Moose 2011

I strive to keep them dry - but the keep you warm, even soaking wet.

[Linked Image]

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the Chilly Grips, they will keep your hands warm and dry. I used some for the first time this year and liked them so much I went out and bought 2 more pairs for back up.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks guys! I'll check into all of these!

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
John-
Where did you get them?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fred Meyers is where I got mine.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep like AKMNTHNTR I dig the chilly grips. I bought 12 pair off of ebay for $36. Really like them and they are warm even when wet IME. Used them the last 3 year. So long as its above 0*F out I use them snowmobiling as well.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I love this forum. Always looking for good gloves. Hope they make them big.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

The reasoning behind your other/elsewhere handle perhaps? Certainly fitting.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
grin

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

They do make em big. My favorite wet/cold glove for work. Pretty durable, and cheap enough to toss when they wear out. Never heard of them, till I started working jobs in Southeast.

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DocGlenn
I've got a bear hunt lined up for this May. Will be hunting out of Cold Bay and was hoping to get some suggestions on gloves for this type of hunt. I'm guessing I'll be glassing for hours on end with rain, wind, and temps in the 40's. I was thinking about getting some waterfowl hunting gloves to wear while glassing to stay as warm and dry as possible, maybe some waterfowl mittens and wear some good liner gloves? Was even thinking about some of the lined, rubber fishing gloves? What would you guys suggest? Thanks!

I'm not in Alaska, but the conditions you mention are very familiar!

Personally, I prefer a "glomitt" design for stalking/hunting, something like the ArticShield gloves below:

[Linked Image]

I have yet to find any truely waterproof ones here in the UK, so generally take two or three sets so a dry pair is always available..

Most of the year I get by without wearing any thin liner gloves, but they are a nice option when the temps drop...

Last edited by Pete E; 11/15/11.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think it was Calvin that introduced me to these.

They work pretty well...

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
If it's raining alot the lined rubber fishermans gloves are hard to beat. There not that expensive either.

Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by DocGlenn

I'm not in Alaska, but the conditions you mention are very familiar!

Personally, I prefer a "glomitt" design for stalking/hunting, something like the ArticShield gloves below:

[Linked Image]

I have yet to find any truely waterproof ones here in the UK, so generally take two or three sets so a dry pair is always available..

Most of the year I get by without wearing any thin liner gloves, but they are a nice option when the temps drop...
The actic oven ones like that, SUCK imho.... never been at all happy with them when it got colder, the liner gloves in them though are nice and work to decent temps.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
The actic oven ones like that, SUCK imho.... never been at all happy with them when it got colder, the liner gloves in them though are nice and work to decent temps.

Just curious but what do you mean by "when it got colder" and "work to decent temps"? I only ask as I believe your in Tx??

I can honestly say I find it harder to get good gloves (of the type I prefer) than boots or any other item of hunting clothing..

I find most warm/waterproof gloves are too bulky to do anything where any degree of dexterity or "feel" is required, hence my preference for a "glomitt" design..

Normally temps here don't drop too many degrees below freezing, so I can't comment on designs for serious cold weather use, but if I could find a properly waterproof glomitt with a sensible about of insulation I would be a happy man..

I am off to Scotland next week stalking Sika hinds, and have bought a pair of the gloves below, but I have reservations about them.

Jack Pyke Gloves

The blurb in the associated advert referes to them as both "waterproof" and "water resistant" but I suspect it will turn out to be that later..

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 11/22/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My pack is full of most of the gloves listed here,,cheap jersey gloves get used a bunch and keep changing them as they get wet. The line in my tent is full of wet gloves and socks most every night.Atlas and neoprene's are a buggar to get on and off when damp but if you have the willpower to keep them on despite the snot running out your nose your a better man than me.

I tend to use more than enough gun
J
J
Its to cold OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by rost495

Just curious but what do you mean by "when it got colder" and "work to decent temps"? I only ask as I believe your in Tx??

I can honestly say I find it harder to get good gloves (of the type I prefer) than boots or any other item of hunting clothing..

I find most warm/waterproof gloves are too bulky to do anything where any degree of dexterity or "feel" is required, hence my preference for a "glomitt" design..

Normally temps here don't drop too many degrees below freezing, so I can't comment on designs for serious cold weather use, but if I could find a properly waterproof glomitt with a sensible about of insulation I would be a happy man..

I am off to Scotland next week stalking Sika hinds, and have bought a pair of the gloves below, but I have reservations about them.

Jack Pyke Gloves

The blurb in the associated advert referes to them as both "waterproof" and "water resistant" but I suspect it will turn out to be that later..

Regards,

Peter

I can use the thin ones down to the mid 40s or around 40. Once its below say 30 or so, the outer liners just don't keep me warm. I made the mistake once of taking them to AK. It got down to 5 a few times. That was not good at all. But I had taken old military mits along just in case... wool liners and those mits were fine...

Lot of it is, that insulation needs air space to work, the artic ones just don't have it enough IMHO and fail there.

I have a pair of cheap fleece ones, that make my hands sweat at anything other than about 30 or under... way cheaper than the artic ones.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

447 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,089
Posts18,521,980
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.