Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have read numerous accounts of great shooting factory takeoff jobs on this site. CAS' 7-08, bxroad's 270,oklahoma's 22-250 etc...

I have contemplated changing calibers or reaming a takeoff out to an AI or larger caliber and having it installed. The few gunsmiths I have contacted seem to have reservations about doing so. I can understand their concerns if the factory tube doesn't shoot or looks like crap they don't want to be associated with it. Any of you that have had this done, what was the smith's reaction? Has anyone had less than satisfactory results? I'm not looking for sub 1/2moa results.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I personally feel you'll have no problems, and if you AI it you'll have no issues.

If your smith doesn't want to do it then I would find another smith. This is not rocket science from where I stand.

MD

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've rebarreled a number of rifles with take-off barrels bought here and on Ebay. I have yet to get a bad barrel, but figure that there is a dog out there. When you can buy a new Remington take-off for the cost of an A&B, why not do it? Some 'smiths won't install used barrels, but a lot of them will. If you want the barrel stamps to line up in the proper position, you'll probably need to recut a couple thousands of an inch of new chamber, so you'll need to work with a 'smith who has the reamer you're looking for. Try talking to Ray Montgomery in Grand Junction, CO, if none of the 'smiths in your area will do the work.

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll second Little Ray, he does good work.

MD

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i do it for people if i have a reamer for the cartridge with the following conditions. the lettering is put proper or down in the barrel channel. if in the channel the muzzle gets cut off after the front sight hole so the barrel is clean.
if it doesn't shoot as expected, i'm sorry but i am only responsible for the headspace. i also tell them they may end up with a line where the original shoulder was as most of my reamers are ground toward the minimum size, not the sloppiness of some of the factory chambers encountered. it is a time job and the only work really saved is cutting a tenion and thread.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 22-250 take off barrel that I used came from our friend Big Stick and he told me in our phone conversation that it was a shooter. So I had know doubt it was gonna be a great barrel.

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What all did you smith do when he installed it?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I just finished a 6MM-06AI from a Rem 700 30-06 w/crapped out barrel. I re-barreled with a new Ebay take-off Rem 700 barrel in 243. Reamed with 6MM-06AI reamer and it shoots great and I have less than $400 in everything.

Don

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been sticking on new factory take-off barrels on my guns for years.

I have the late Harry Lawson to thank for the idea. I wore out a M77 Ruger in 6 mm Rem chambering. I called his shop to see if he had something that would work with this short action. Harry recommended taking a new 7 mag barrel and setting it back approx 1/2" and rechambering it to the 284 win. That rifle is on it's 3rd 284 barrel.

As time went on I discovered a few tables at gunshows with new takeoffs and I still browse Lawson's takeoff rack. Lawson's is the shop I go to for all the barrel installations.

All the barrels I have had put on have shot well. Most 1/2 MOA or better.

Lawson's cost to have it installed, rotated so if there are iron sight holes or printing put underneath is generally under $140.

Lawson has quite a few Rem 7 mag and a few Rem 300 win mag takeoffs as well as a few winchester CRF barrels. They take them off to build customs on the actions with aftermarket barrels.

This is a cheap way to try new chamberings. You don't have to build an entire rifle just rebarrel it. A few of my rifles are set up for full float of the barrel so I can just take off one barrel and install another. Cheaper than playing golf!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AZ-do they have a web site or a phone #, I kind of need a take off for a M70.

Thx

MD

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've also done it with good results. I have 2 factory take-offs right now that I would sell. One a Win 270wsm ss, as new. One off a Rem 700 mtn rifle ss in 270 win. Both are good shooters---2MG

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi Mark,

Here is Randy Lawson's phone: 1-520-327-1117. Weekdays from 9-5. I saw at least two of the win CRF barrels and I think one is a 300 win mag. If you have a push feed not sure of the compatable threads of rem and win, but you could always set it back some. Do know that rems and rugers have the same threads per inch, just that the rugers are about .100" smaller OD.

We have a mutual friend in Bill O'Connell. I figure you know ol Rimrock? I used to hang out at campfire lodge on the madison near Quake lake in the summers. Went for 13 in a row. I meet him on All Outdoors and have visted him several times. Great guy and wonderful family. Hope to get back up there one of these summers.

Figure you know Brad Admonson (sp). I bought a Ti stock from him a year or so ago.

FYI there is one 26" 300 win mag SPS CM barrel that just came in. Randy now uses the SPS as the builder action since the demise of the ADL. All the other takeoffs are CM 24".

Ross

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a new, unfired 30-06 win barrel in blue, screwed it on my favorite & lucky 270 action (stainless), shot for accuracy and sent to birdsong for teflon coating. installed in a mcmillan stock and it is a dandy. it is the only factory barreled model 70 I own to date.

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P,
Not only was my smith open to the idea, but he actually urged me to try it, even though he had a brand new Shilen tube in stock that would have worked.

If you're not looking for a one-hole rifle, then you can have nice results with take-off barrels. I especially think that the stainless Remington barrels are worth a shot, they seem to be universally good.

IME, a barrel has to be REALLY good to be an exceptional barrel, and REALLY bad to be a dog. Most barrels will shoot very well with a proper chamber and crown.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I had a take off 30'06 barrel installed onto my Savage from another Savage. It shoots great, but it copper fouls really bad. The lettering ended up being down in the channel, but I think it is because I put on a thicker recoil lug so that is probably where it ended up after headspacing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're looking to try a new chambering, and are happy with factory performance levels, why not. My latest 458 lott was built that way, and It saved me a bundle. I picked up a Ruger #1 458 take off barrel, with front sight and sling swivel for $25, and had it fit to a VZ-24 mauser action for a nominal fee. It shoots as well as I can shoot an iron sighted 458 Lott, so no complaints here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I have the factory take-off barrell and take that along with the rifle to a 'smith for a rebarrel. What should I expect to be charged for the re-barrel job using my factory take-off barrel?

Thanks.

PASS IT ON!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If all he has to do is pull the old barrel and put on the new one, I am guessing around $40.

I believe that is around what I paid, but all he had to do was unscrew the old one, screw on the new one and check headspace.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I reckon I've done it to 15-20 of my rifles and have always been tickled.

A good chamber,coupled with a good crown,will yield good results...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The datum line on an ackley is actually aft of the line for a standard - at least on the 22 250 and 257 rob. Dont mean a thing as long as the same brass is used in the same chamber it was fire formed in.
My smith rebarrels for me.I'm paying so if the sight holes and lettering being in the wrong place don't bother me it don't bother him. But then he is not an ego freak and his name ain't on it anyhow.
I'm having my fourth one done now. I had the chance to shoot all the take offs before they were took off so I knew they would shoot well.The 6 mm barrel I'm going to use would outshoot some custom barrels so it should shine as an AI.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

134 members (300_savage, 2500HD, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 673, 338reddog, 204guy, 17 invisible), 1,673 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,912
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.