Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Clearly the game was in the bag in the first quarter....really on Ole Miss's third play, which was a pick six. LSU didn't throw a pass in the second half, benched JJ, benched all the sophomore RBs and just went up the gut with the two freshmen, McGee and Hilliard, and still couldn't stop scoring. Overall, they averaged something like 8 yards a carry.

The Ole Miss fans had all left for the Grove by halftime. Nobody left in the stadium but Tiger fans, basically.

LSU is driving, in spite of itself, handing off up the middle to true freshmen, just wanting to get the clock run out and leave. On a third down at the fifteen, Mettenberg, the third string QB, fakes the run up the middle and runs a bootleg to the one, first and goal.

Les then had him take a knee four times and give Ole Miss the ball on downs. After the game he said there was no reason to take more snaps as the game was decided, but you could have said that when it was 21-0 in the first quarter.

Buzz on fan sites is that Mettenberg called the bootleg when he was supposed to just hand off and Miles got pissed that it looked like he was trying to run it up and called the four kneel downs.

Now, Les is a very nice guy, and I know he did it out of a good heart, but if I was one of those Ole Miss seniors playing D, I think I would have taken it as more of a bitchslap than just shoving the ball in and making it 59-3. Nutt didn't seem upset by it, but.....does anybody else have that response?

I mean, it was never really a game.....it was just watching a tiger play with its food. So why all of a sudden just officially quit on offense?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I do get tired of people getting their underwear stuck in their cracks over violations of the unwritten rules that everyone is supposed to know and everyone "interprets" differently. As you said, the game was over in the first quarter, so why not start shutting things down at that point? If there is supposed to be some point at which a team stops trying to advance the ball in the best way that they can/score, how about having the coach of the team that is being beaten make that determination? He could literally throw in the towel as a signal that the game itself is over and that no matter what happens from that point on, the opposing team has won. Then the winning team could shut things down/send in the clowns/punt backwards, do whatever they could to make up the other team's deficiencies without the fear of losing momentum/facing some sort of miracle come-back and losing the game. Also, why is it always on the offense to make up for the other team's deficiencies? It is never suggested that the defense "take a knee" and let the opposition waltz through them to score. To me, the best solution, if it is felt that a solution is needed , is the acknowledgement by the weaker team that the game is over and at that point, each team work on developing players/working on aspects of their game that they feel need work, and so forth.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, because of the I'm ok your ok generation. Screw it, if your tired of getting your ass whipped then forfeit the game, if you ain't forfeiting it then pour it to them.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It used to be common practice among High School coaches around here to put defensive linemen in the backfield,wide recievers at the O.L. positions etc. when a game had gotten out of hand.

The refs turned a blind eye to the jersey number requirements.

It became a fun deal for both teams.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
M
MJS Offline
M
The problem for coaches is that if you play the game half-heartedly it fosters bad habits. Whatever plays you call you have to go all out. Shoot.....if your third stringers are running over people what's left - put the coaches out there?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Les did what was right. No argument here.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Now, Les is a very nice guy, and I know he did it out of a good heart, but if I was one of those Ole Miss seniors playing D, I think I would have taken it as more of a bitchslap than just shoving the ball in and making it 59-3.

Yep. I didn't like the decision. IMO it was more disrepectful to Ol Miss than running the ball in for another TD would've been.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
it's a tough call for certain, have seen it done all different ways

I'm not against charity for the very poor, even poor teams, but ime with young folks you have to be careful doing even that, the clowning and talking often accompany the charity so it negates the impact of what you're trying to do.

but at the college level? if your 3rd stringers are capable of pouring it on, then pour it on.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I agree, cant win this one.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'm of the thought process that you put in your backups and you might get more conservative and there is no reason to kick fg's up by 40 with 1:00 left, but a knee with 5 minutes? Never seen that before.

But I'd rather a coach do that, then try to rub it in by calling a time out with 30 seconds left to add a FG.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
It certainly is refreshing to see some common sense in this thread. Usually a bunch of sour grapes, ultra sensitive products of the PC era will start whining about how unsportsmanlike it is to run up scores. Personally, I think it's unsportsmanlike to be a sore loser.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Les did what was right. No argument here.

Agreed, I have no problem with Miles decision in that situation

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What the hell is wrong with letting the third stringers play? So what if the score gets run up. Put them in and let them play the way they were trained. If they score, more power to 'em. You never know when injuries will put that third stringer in a starting position and I would prefer to have a confident man standing on the sidelines ready to go.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A coach can't tell a backup to not do their best. It's also tough tell the difference between that and running up the score.

I suspect he wanted to show some respect for the other team. It's not like he was runnin' it up just to get higher in the BCS.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by AlaskaFE
What the hell is wrong with letting the third stringers play? So what if the score gets run up. Put them in and let them play the way they were trained. If they score, more power to 'em. You never know when injuries will put that third stringer in a starting position and I would prefer to have a confident man standing on the sidelines ready to go.

That is exactly what LSU did, most of the game and the score was 52-3 at that point and remained so at games end

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I was on the defense that was getting killed, I think I'd rather have them keep running up the gut. At least that gives me the opportunity to stop them. I'd take the 'taking a knee' as a slap in the face (even though I'd already been slapped all over the field). Not saying what was done was right or wrong, but do understand it was likely done with good intentions.

Originally Posted by curdog4570
It used to be common practice among High School coaches around here to put defensive linemen in the backfield,wide recievers at the O.L. positions etc. when a game had gotten out of hand.

The refs turned a blind eye to the jersey number requirements.

It became a fun deal for both teams.

Last game of the season, my senior year, we were winning by 40 points. My buddy and I asked the coach if he'd put us in at running back because we'd played for 4 years at guard and center, only touching the ball on defense if we picked one off or picked up a fumble.

He agreed. Here we are, my buddy and me, offensive linemen, and we're gaining 7 or 8 yards a carry. Had a pretty good drive going before time ran out.

Their coach was livid. Took administrators to pull our coaches apart at midfield. He took it that our coach was saying 'hey look, these guys are so bad that our lineman can gain yards on them' which wasn't the case at all.

Like was said, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by AlaskaFE

Exactly. It's the 2nd and 3rd stringers' chance to strut their stuff and gain real game experience. Ideally, the losing team hasn't given up and is still fighting, but was just outmatched by the 1st string. Less than ideal, is a thoroughly dejected losing team that has given up which poses little challenge to the bench warmers. The fault for the latter situation lies with the losing team, not the winning team.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ole Miss has no cause for complaint. If you're getting beat 52-3 by the other team's benchwarmers, it's time to just shut up and pray for time to expire. Score yet another touchdown, take a knee, whatever, just try to take it gracefully.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Run the end of the bench relatively early like he did. Fundamentals, up the middle, on the ground. Take a knee with short time left. Done.

n football, mixing and matching positions is a great way to get guys hurt. Guys playing at odd positions in which they didn't practice should be left for the lower level teams hs JV- not college.

Blow outs happen. I've been on both sides both playing and coaching many times over.

If I cared at all about LSU and ole miss, i'd not have any complaints on this one.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 60 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,799
Posts18,516,200
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.