Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
So, we be expecting the usual relatives over for turkey day. I'm going to grill a turkey on the Weber...

However, we shot a few geese this year and I thought it'd be fun to try and grill a few breasts as well, just for fun and conversation.

Does ANYBODY know of a way to make Canadian geese taste good?? laugh

I'm open to all suggestions.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Heck - I thought they tasted pretty good most any way. I usually crockpot them with turnips, celery, onion, carrots and some chicken stock. A lot of recipes call to keep them rare, but I prefer them more well done. Try them with baked apples and cinnamon - REALLY good! Also cranberry sauce. You could do the usual bacon wrap for grilling. They are awful lean, and the fat does them good. Leighton probably shoots enough that he has a zillion recipes for them AND he's a GREAT cook! I'd tap him for some recipes....

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm thinking about marinading them over night and then wrapping them in bacon and throwing them on the coals.

We'll see what happens.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Frying them whole, in a deep fryer like a turkey, will give you crispy skin and juicy meat.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I'm thinking about marinading them over night and then wrapping them in bacon and throwing them on the coals.

We'll see what happens.

that's usually a good start for anything, but you better be ready with the water spray, because they do drip some massive quantities of fat on the grill.....we don't get many Canadas and only have a very limited season on them, so I have no idea. They are very different from a speck. Google would probably be your friend.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Marinate them in Milk,Soy Sauce, and Worcestershire Sauce (Mostly milk and equal parts for SS and WS to make the milk tan colored). Let them marinate for at least 24 hours. I like to cook them in a crock-pot like a beef/pork roast, but can be cut up and wrapped in bacon and pan seared or baked/broiled too.

The milk takes the gamey taste out.

A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life.

The King of Battle!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
There aren't many foods I don't like, but them Canadaian honkers is on the list.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by tzone
There aren't many foods I don't like, but them Canadaian honkers is on the list.

I hear ya. I consider this quest a true culinary challenge. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I cooked canada goose last year. I like them. Of course the ones we shoot are eating in peanut fields all the time.

Let me look up the recipe.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't find the recipe. I made a glaze/sauce out of Apricot preserves and apricot schnapps and just roasted the geese whole and it came out great.

I usually go and get a limit 2-3 times and a year just to get them to cook (we have a limit of 3). Maybe they taste better after eating peanuts for a few weeks I don't know. Never really had a bad one.

Still had flock after flock coming in to water after we finished up. That's a big wad of geese by my arm lol. Best kind of goose hunting. Get out there about 9am and set up a few decoys. Load up the truck and go home by 10am.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by NathanL; 11/22/11.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Soak them overnight in water and baking soda. Tenderizes them. I brown them in a flour mix with 11 secret herbs and spices then into the crock pot with chicken broth and mushroom soup. We kill a lot of Canadas so I'm always experimenting but this one is pretty good

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Suff with onions and apples and cook on a smoker for 6 to 8 hours.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Treat the breasts like lean beef. I cut them in strips about a 1/2 inch thick poke the strips with a fork a bunch of times to tenderize and marinate in coke soy sauce garlic and black pepper. Marinate over night. Next day dry well and let sit it the fridge a few hours on paper towel. Thread onto skewers and cook over a very hot fire. Cook to no more than medium medium rare is better. About two to three minutes a side at most.If you like you can brush them with a teriaky sauce when you take them off the grill. No one believes this is goose when I make it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It's not possible.............

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I slice the breast meat and cook them up fajita style with all the fixings. Actually very good.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First off, I have never eaten a goose of any kind but I always heard that the Canada's were good and the snow goose was not fit to eat. I did pick some tame geese one time for my Mother to cook and make dressing for a community meal around Thanksgiving. I deer hunted that morning and was a little late getting there and all the goose was gone. There was dressing left and it was awesome. Mother said that people would get some of the goose and when they sat down and took a bite, they would get up right then and go get more. They did not wait until they finished what they had. She cooked them like she would a turkey. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shoot quite a few Honkers out here and if I have the time and patience to pluck them (hate that job) then I roast them with an Apple,pineapple, wild rice stuffing and baste them oft with a glaze made from OJ concentrate, honey and butter. When I take the time to do one like this, the Goos is gone before the turkey! I have also done the OJ/honey/butter treatment on some breast fillets and it is VERY good, but not as good as a whole roast goose.

2nd favorite recipe is:

crock pot the goose all day while at work, at the end of the day remove the goose and put wild rice into the goose water and let cook while separating the goose from its bones (now quite easy after sitting in a crock pot all day) when rice is done, add the meat back in along with a can or two of cream of mushroom soup concentrate. EXCELLENT table fare.

I also cook them like I do a duck, but they are better than duck IMO. Sweet and sour sauce bake is one option and another is cut into strips and stir fry with stir fry veggies and peanut sauce.

If you do recipe number 1 for your guests, I guarantee it to be a monster hit with all.

Good Luck!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I wish someone would teach the homeless around here how to cook 'em.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Does ANYBODY know of a way to make Canadian geese taste good?? laugh

CHILI..!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both Canadas and Snows are fine table fare. Don't overcook them! Remember, these aren't cattle which stand around all day, these birds are athletes with very strong muscles which are used regularly. Take every effort to tenderize either before or during the cooking, making sure to retain moisture. I've never done it, but I would be that deep frying it like a turkey would be ideal. You could tie the breasts together like a roast, do all the legs together with honey garlic rib sauce, or slice the breast into medallions and do them on the BBQ.

Remember, a Canada goose isn't a turkey, it's more like beef.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1minute, 160user, 1234, 219 Wasp, 63 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,791
Posts18,516,061
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.