Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have been feeding her TOW since posting this and she's no better. I can't afford Purina HA, looks like $90 a bag for 32#. Now what?? A different version of TOW??

"I will remain what I am until the day I die- A HUNTER"......Sitting Bull
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My lab has been itching latley and my vet recommmended I switch from Pro Plan to Eukuneba due to more oils in the food.

So far he is still itching but its not been that long.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fish head
I've been experimenting with different food over the last month and a half to try help my golden retriever with the itchies. I had been feeding him IAMS lamb and rice which was fine during the winter but this summer once it it got hot the itchies came back. He also had a brief ear problem which was easily cured with Oticalm and Otomax.

I switched to Purina One lamb and rice which he really liked eating but his coat dried out and he started flaking. He never had that problem before with any previous food and no change with the itchies either.

The last bag of food was IAMS sensitive naturals ocean fish, rice and barley and it's starting to make a difference. His cost is glossy again, he seems to be scratching and licking less and his skin is clearing up.

One thing that makes it difficult to really assess the issue is that it's no longer as hot as it was and my dog only has these problems in the summer.

Here's a follow up to my dog's issues. Back in Oct. I took him to the vet for his routine shots and discussed the itchy problems. The vet said it was all pollen related which I disagreed with. In his case it is food related. He didn't like eating the IAMS sensitive naturals ocean fish, rice and barley so I switched to IAMS sensitive chicken, rice and barley. That cleared up his skin and eliminated the itchies. As a test/control I bought a bag of IAMS lamb and rice and sure enough the itchies came back. It isn't as bad (very minor) as it was in the summer but his skin is breaking out again.

FWIW, it takes two to three weeks for Scout to show signs of improvement or have the itchies return.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
There is only one FDA approved drug for allergies in dogs for safe long term use. ATOPICA.Com

First month has higher cost, but the second month gets less expensive because the dose is given every other day instead of daily. Around the 3 to 4th month many dogs go to twice a week and the cost drops again.

My brothers dog took about 6 months to get under control and then it was twice a week dosing and a happy dog that didn't itch and everyone slept through the night.

The vet said steriods will kill your dog with constant use and Atopica will work wonders in 8 out of 10 dogs.

Do give a bath after hunting to get the pollen out of the dogs coat.

Good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by passport
My lab has been itching latley and my vet recommmended I switch from Pro Plan to Eukuneba due to more oils in the food.

So far he is still itching but its not been that long.

After a few months of Max being on Euk the itching has pretty much stoped, his ears are much better too.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Good news! We have a Chocolate female that has food alergies as well. The vet had her on some rabbit and rice food that was about $55 for 18lbs so we switched her to ProPlan lamb & rice and she's ben OK withthat but it seems like there's more choices out there now.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Mine is the same way. We've been feeding him Nutro Natural Venison. He seems to be the best on that so far. Somebody mentioned above giving him a bath after hunting. I noticed if mine has regular baths, he's much better. The previous vet I went to wanted to give him steroid shots too. His allergies cleared up for the time being, but they came right back. It's not a fix. The only thing I think a steroid shot is good for is to get the itching and ear infections under control the first time you realize the dog has allergies while you get him started on better food. Watch out with the steroids...if you think he's hungry now, it gets worse! They'll drink a lot so they'll need to go outside more too...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have a mini schnauser that has the itching and hives from a food allergy, the vet finally put our some doggie allergy med and the problem cleared up but we tryed every expensive food from lamb and rice to duck and potato and she still had the problem.
Then we have the Airedale that can eat anything and never has any problems, I have never even seen this dog puke, and yesterday I saw him eat at least 3 june bugs 2 spiders and a bumble bee.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (6MMWASP, 7mm_Loco, 6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 9 invisible), 1,757 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,900
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.