-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Went to go on a walk and pick up a climbing stand near some old rice fields behind my house this AM early just after daylight. Perfect morning for still hunting, a little foggy and still wet from a rain, not a breath of wind. Took me about an hour to cover 100 yards just slipping down a little tree line parralel to the overgrown levee. I sat down for a minute and looked at a spot where I see deer cross a lot and saw two really small yearlings bedded on the levee that never saw me. Then a little further down I saw an old doe under a little chicken tree eating about 90 yards away. I had one of those little handguard military type bipods so I laid down real slow.
She was angling just slightly towards me and facing downhill on the levee at exactly 89 yards. I let her have it low in the shoulder joint. Never twitched, flopped, kicked....nothing. 62 grain Federal Bonded LE round I had from the PD. Punched Through the shoulder and took out one rib. Heart was pretty much just goo and the lungs had massive damage in the lower end.
She was 5-7 yo, 120 lbs(VERY FAT and slick), barren and totally dry. Good one to get rid of. Too bad she fell down the levee and ended up in 15-20" of water and I just had on my knee boots!!!
Bullet seems to have held together very well. The exit was about nickel to quarter size and there wasn't much bloodshot meat on either side. Great performane in my opinion. Not a real great test of it yet, BUT it wasn't exactly hauling a$$ in a 16" Colt bbl.
I think these bullets a TBBCs but I could be wrong. I'll punch a few more does with em this weekend with longer barrels at longer ranges and see how they do. I have no doubt they'll bust em up out to 300 at the stated velocities.
Wish my girl woulda been with me today!
Good luck this weekend guys! Have a good weekend and be safe!

JB

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Open sights or optic?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
nice story.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
1-4 leupold on 1x.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well Done smile

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
get 'er DONE!

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grill backstraps for Thanksgiving?

Well done.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Should have grilled her but mom already had plenty cooked!!!
I'll do some for the kids Sunday!
I'll have more down by then!

Maybe some horns too!
Gonna kill some ducks and a few specklebelly geese in the morning though. Got permission to hunt a great piece of marsh in the morning I can't pass up!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great job!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sounds good! Was that the Federal TRU Bonded you used? Great bullet. IIRC, yes, it's basically the TBBC bullet.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes sir DocRocket. The boxes marked LE. We bought em on a state contract, 55s and 62s. The 62s shoot well in two of my 1 in 7 guns and one of my 1 in 9 guns. I've only killed maybe 2 or 3 deer with em I think.
I can't find em at the LE supply store any more.
JB

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have about 6 or 8 hundred rounds of that set aside. I don't shoot it. If we are talking about the same load.

It is the 62 grain Federal Tactical load, moly coated, nickle cased, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How does it compare to the 62 gr TAP Barrier Penetrator load from Hornady?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
No idea about that one. I cannot say I have ever shot their 62 grain load that I can recall.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well I have a few whistle so based on this thread they are going with me to Texas in February to try out on pigs.. grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't know about the TAP load either. I don't know what 62 graib bullet Hornady makes, but a Vmax wouldn't be my choice as a barrier penatrator. And they don't make a 62 in that one to my knowledge.
Do they make a 62 SP?

D
D
The exit was about nickel to quarter size and there wasn't much bloodshot meat on either side. Great performane in my opinion. Not a real great test of it yet, BUT it wasn't exactly hauling a$$ in a 16" Colt bbl.I think these bullets a TBBCs but I could be wrong. I'll punch a few more does with em this weekend with longer barrels at longer ranges and see how they do.

r4i
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I looked at the latest manual last night and they don't list any data for a 62 sp so maybe they do use some 62 tbbc bullets. I've never seen em. Only the ones loaded by federal.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I have about 6 or 8 hundred rounds of that set aside. I don't shoot it. If we are talking about the same load.

It is the 62 grain Federal Tactical load, moly coated, nickle cased, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet.

That's the one. The Federal 62 gr bonded load isn't the TRU load, which I posted erroneously above. The Federal TRU load is a 64 gr JSP, nonbonded. Sorry about that. The 62 gr load is one of the highest-rated LE loads for use against barricaded individuals and/or in cars, provided you're using 1:9 twist or tighter barrels.

I don't shoot mine, either. I've only got about 200 rounds of it set aside, 120 of those in the mags on my tac vest. But I'd not hesitate to use it on deer or hogs, in addition to its intended quarry (2-legged felonious varmints).

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by eh76
How does it compare to the 62 gr TAP Barrier Penetrator load from Hornady?

I haven't got any data on that load, Keith. I'll ask around. I do know that Hornady TAP 5.56/.223 ammo has had a number of highly-publicized failures in the LE/ballistics literature over the past 3-4 years. Failures included failure-to-fire (primer failure) and failure-to-expand/fragment.

If you have enough ammo to do some testing, you might want to put 40-60 rounds into test medium (a water tank should be sufficient and relatively easy to do, way easier than shooting into wet newsprint, and a lot less resource-intensive than shooting milk jugs full of water). That way you can be certain the bullets will do what you want them to when you come down here in February. After your experience with the bullet that broke up on your deer's "shoulder ball-and-socket-joint", you've got better reason than most of us to be wary of bullet malfunction.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (117LBS, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 2,842 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,445
Posts18,528,730
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.