Print Thread
Hop To
M
Moses Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Are the posts on the SP#4 reticle thicker than the posts on the Ballistic Plex? In the picture on their website they look like a Heavy Duplex (Leupold).

GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Yes. The Ballistic Plex is pretty thin. I have both.

M
Moses Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
So the 3 posts on the SP#4 are significantly thicker than the posts o the Ballistic plex? Not the crosshair; but the outside posts.

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Have one of each and just looked through each one. The 3P#4 posts are noticeably thicker than the posts on the Ballistic Plex.

The posts on a Nikon African are thicker still but I prefer the appearance of the Burris 3P#4 reticle.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
M
Moses Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
On another post you mentioned lack of much vertical adjustment on the SP#4. How was it different than the Ballistic Plex?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How much vertical adjustment do you need or want on a scope that is intended for hunting dangerous game or very large game at a minimum? If it has enough vertical adjustment to get sighted in, what more is needed? They are not a varmint or extra long range specialty scope. then, there are the + and - offset ring inserts available for thier rings which give a LOT of lattitude for adjustment when utilized.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The SP#4 only has about 90 total clicks of adjustment available in the vertical and about 150 horizontal (can't find any notes on the Ballistic Plex) and the Burris specs say the amount of adjustment is the same in the vertical and horizontal. The Ballistic Plex scope will fit several rifle/mount combinations that the SP#4 will not work on (i.e. Ruger rings on a Ruger 375, CZ550 rings, Talley QD on a CZ550, ConeTrol on a M70 XTR. The SP#4 scope will not sight in on any of the above rifles/mount combinations. But it will fit Talley mounts on an FN Mauser (where the Ballistic Plex is almost out of windage).

I just mounted the SP#4 on a HVA in ConeTrol mounts but have not shot it yet to see if that combination will work. Bore sighting looks ok.

I suspect that the SP#4 may be defective; but reading the Burris literature and their on-line FAQ about lack of adjustment does not give me a warm-fuzzy feeling that they would do anything.

As mentioned I really like the way the SP#4 looks so I'd like to get the scope to work on the current rifle. So much so that I may go to Burris Signature rings with the offset inserts. YMMV

Last edited by CKW; 11/24/11.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My experience with Burris customer service has been really good, but why create a problem uneccesarily? If it was me, I would get a set of Burris Singanture Posi Align rings with a set of offset inserts and then bore sight at an object 100 or more yards away using a mechanical rest like the units from outers or a lead sled etc. and using the various sized inserts to get te scope bore sighted without touching the scopes adjustment, keeping it centered until at firing a little fine tuning is done. Doing so has allowed me to get rifles and scopes very near to perfect zero while keeping the scopes erector assembly well centered in the scope which aids optical performance of the scope. Besides that, the Burris signature posi align in either Weaver/picatinny form or (my favorite) dual dovetail bases and rings are THE toughest and most rugged scope mounting system going, IMO, and nice looking. Those wide flat semisoft nylon inserts really grab a scope nicely and using the offset inserts is, to me,a great way to keep the scope and its internals as centered as humanly possible.

Last edited by safariman; 11/25/11.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
Moses Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Graf and Sons has the Burris 2X-7X Fullfield II SP#4 on sale fr $99. I just ordered one.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Me too

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B3

M
Moses Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Cannot beat that deal. I will order a more premium scope for the new rifle later (an RSI .308).(unless I really like this one) The Burris at the very least will make a nice extra scope.

Last edited by Moses; 11/25/11.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Originally Posted by Moses
Graf and Sons has the Burris 2X-7X Fullfield II SP#4 on sale fr $99. I just ordered one.

I was too late!! All gone. Darn!

M
Moses Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I looked at some other scope brand websites and their FAQ had the same verbage as Burris. (Leupold said the same thing about adjustments)

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That was a good price for the 3P#4 scope, when I bought mine from Graf's it was much more than that.

My only experience with Burris has been these two 2-7X35 scopes purchased within a couple of months of each other. Both are supposed to have identical specs and adjustments. However there is a world of difference in how the two work on the rifles I've tried them on.

To me replacing ConeTrol mounts with Burris is a step backward in appearance, stability and function. But that may be the best option to use the scope on the rifle I want it on now. I like nearly everything about the scope except the elevation issue.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
$99 wish i had known about it,thought i had a bargain when i got my last 1 for $174 ,i got another with the ballistic plex for $120 including freight,but i much prefer the#4 reticle i have 4 of them mounted at the moment and eldest son has another (used to be mine lol).cant fault them and they are all on farly large thumpers from 375HH down to 338 fed,thought about putting 1 on the 458wm but ended up with a Nickon african with the #4 reticle never know though things can happen ,especialy if i can find a bargain like $99

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Update on the 3P#4 2-7X35 Burris FFII scope that has been hard to sight in.

Mounted it on a still different rifle the other day and bore sighted it. Took it to the range today. The scope does work on this rifle/mount combination (30-06 HVA FS with ConeTrol low rings and bases) but the scope is very near the end of the elevation adjustment.

Plan on returning the scope to Burris with a note explaining the problem with it. So we'll see how their CS is (never dealt with Burris CS before).

I got a lot of vertical stringing -- as in two inches plus between shots. But the rifle is new to me and I'm uncertain if the stringing is a bedding, scope, or klutz (me) issue. Unfortunately, I didn't have my spotting scope set up to check the sequence of shots. They were 3 shot groups with the temperature around freezing so barrel heating should not have been a factor.

Will mount a different scope and try again. (I did shoot a group with a different rifle with no vertical stringing so operator error while still possible is somewhat doubtful.)

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Further update on Burris CS and the 2X-7X-35 3P#4 scope.

Sent the original scope to Burris Nov. 30, 2011, they got it two or three days later. Today (12/23/2011) a package came back from Burris with a new 2X-7X-35 3P#4 scope. (No note from them just the scope and a packing list.) I know it is a new scope as it has a different serial #, was in a shrink-wrapped box and my old scope had ring marks from shifting while on my 9.3X62.

I am very satisfied with their CS; could not ask for any better.

Now to mount the new scope on a rifle and see how it works.

M
Moses Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Mounted mine on a Ruger 77 RSI .308 right after I bought it in November. Bored sighted it visually through the barrel and adjusting the scope accordingly at 25 yds. Fired it once at 25 and it drilled the target center. Then fired it at 100 yds (high 2", right 2"). I adjusted the scope left 2" and fired again. Two inches high and dead center at 100 yds. Sighted in in 3 shots. My Burris 2X-7X adjusts as advertised. I think yours will now. Merry "Christmas."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (375sunrise, 35, 6mmbrfan, 35WhelenNut, 673, 264mag, 15 invisible), 961 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,894
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.