Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My father returned from WWII in 1945 with a nickled CZ 27 32 ACP and I recently inherited it. I had a local gunsmith check it for safety and I have fired it at the range.

Please recommend factory ammo for self defense.

Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The .32 ACP has neither bullet size or velocity going for it. Since penetration is your first priority, I tend to recommend non-expanding bullets in this cartridge, the best being the cast flat nosed rounds from Buffalo Bore. Next up is good ole full metal jacket ammunition. Expect to have to put multiple holes in someone, and always make sure you have spare magazines when carrying this cartridges. I can recall at least 3 patients I�ve had over the years who have been shot in the head with the .32 ACP, NONE had their skull penetrated by the .32 ACP; one was even at contact distance. Rather funny, the guy put the gun to the side of the home owner�s head and fired. The bullet hit the skull, bounced back and mangled the shooters fingers. He was later caught by police when he turned up in an emergency room and was dumb enough to say it was from a bullet.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Gives new meaning to the term 'knucklehead'.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crowrifle
Gives new meaning to the term 'knucklehead'.
Oh, that's too funny. My partner and I were making "knucklehead" comments for the rest of the night. We were kinda twisted in that way.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for ammo recommendation. The cartridge does seem to be a light weight. My thought is to suit it up and make it somewhat useful, rather than store it away in the safe.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Winchester �white box� FMJ for the .32 comes in two flavors, full round nose and a sort of truncated cone with a flat meplat. If you are buying that ammo check inside the box to make sure you get the flat point bullets. Noting the power of the ammo already it at least helps.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
The .32 ACP has neither bullet size or velocity going for it. Since penetration is your first priority, I tend to recommend non-expanding bullets in this cartridge, the best being the cast flat nosed rounds from Buffalo Bore. Next up is good ole full metal jacket ammunition. Expect to have to put multiple holes in someone, and always make sure you have spare magazines when carrying this cartridges. I can recall at least 3 patients I�ve had over the years who have been shot in the head with the .32 ACP, NONE had their skull penetrated by the .32 ACP; one was even at contact distance. Rather funny, the guy put the gun to the side of the home owner�s head and fired. The bullet hit the skull, bounced back and mangled the shooters fingers. He was later caught by police when he turned up in an emergency room and was dumb enough to say it was from a bullet.

+1........

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Friends don't let friends carry mouseguns.

Or as one guy put it, the .32 ACP is not a mousegun, it's a nosegun. As in the only approved procedure for defensive use is to shove the muzzle into your adversary's nose and pull the trigger.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think there were several police forces in europe that used the 32ACP quite extensively. not saying that means a whole lot. but it had to do at least something. heck the 22 lr has prolly killed more people than any other round.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Realizing You do know there are better hammers in the shed, but if You must, I'd shoot the Cor-Bon load w/ the TAC-HP's.

Gunner

Edit to say, I believe cor-bon calls the TAC-HP's,..... there DPX line of handgun ammunition.

Last edited by gunner500; 11/28/11.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeh, I do have bigger hammers in the shed. Thanks for the ammo recommendation.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The little .32 ACP Silvertips ain't too shabby either, one must recognize the limitations of the caliber and act accordingly.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T LEE
The little .32 ACP Silvertips ain't too shabby either, one must recognize the limitations of the caliber and act accordingly.

I always figured my little Kel-Tec .32 was so I could create some really loud noises and escape during the confusion... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Check out Buffalo Bore for that .32. I don't own one personally, but BB would be the way for me to go.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by T LEE

I was also going to recommend Wibnchester SilverTips if still available. But CorBon makes stout stuff ..... definitely worth checking!

I would also try to avoid using 'small hammers' when a larger tool is called for. I don't even like the .380 for SD duties and draw the line at the .38special+P for MINIMUM minimum-sidearm duties!!

A .22LR Velocitor or .22WMR has more muzzle energy than many .32's. That .32 SilverTip used to have a 60grn bullet, and a nice wide hollow point.

Why not try 3 or 4 best offerings? After "studying" all .32 rounds available on the market? MidwayUSA.com has an easy-to-navigate site for comparing different ammo types and loads.

ADDED: Just looked at the MidwayUSA site and they offer 29 .32ACP loadings from more than a dozen makers. Plus my comment about the .22's being more powerful is patently WRONG! (oops).

Winchester still offers their 60 grain SilverTips, but Buffalo Bore ammo offers a 75grain cast-core flat nose boolit that generates 220 foot pounds of muzzle energy!
(pretty good for such a small round!).

Give that one a careful look!

Last edited by StubbleDuck; 11/29/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
With book loads for 71 gr FMJ, 3.2 gr AA#5, .94" OAL my 3.5" barrel P32 would penetrate 1" of Douglas Fir.

With my hot handloads, 110 gr FMJ, 1.175" OAL, 5.2 gr Power Pistol, a welded up feed ramp, throated chamber, and a welded muzzle extender to make the barrel 5" long, my P32 will penetrate 5" of Douglas Fir, but the recoil is so bad it will damage the ejector.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hollow points seem to dissapoint in this cartridge.
FMJ 7.65 saw plenty of wartime/serious use in Europe for a long time. Europeans make the best standard factory stuff: Fiocchi or Geco FMJ.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would shoot whatever ammo the pistol was 100% reliable with.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Friends don't let friends carry mouseguns.

Or as one guy put it, the .32 ACP is not a mousegun, it's a nosegun. As in the only approved procedure for defensive use is to shove the muzzle into your adversary's nose and pull the trigger.

Doc, I generaly agree but there are circumstance where the 32 is a viable choice. Not long ago a 69 year lady with limited strength about aquiring a hand gun. I recomend a 32 ACP or 380 since she was unable to handle anything larger. I do not consider the 32 or the 380 as adequate, but believe that they are better than nothing

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As I ALWAYS say, "Any gun, when you need a gun, is better than no gun."

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.