Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
My buddy has one and he loves it (although every time we head out he seems to have something else in his hands). I'm thinking it might make a good backup rifle / rifle for my 12 year-old / muzzleloader / slug gun setup. I don't see them mentioned much here. What is the feeling about this system?

Thanks,

Shawn

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
you'll get more responses in the single shot forum. I'm fond of my encore by the way.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'd rather have several different guns, personally. Not a big fan of the concept, but to each his own.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I am a big Contender fan, but I find the Encore heavy and clunky. I also do not like the grip angle. Fortunately for me the calibers I want work on a Contender. Too many shooters buy what they see on the cable hunting shows. T/C sponsors a lot of those shows, so guess what those good ole boys shoot?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had an Encore muzzleloader for many years and absolutely love it. I had planned to buy extra barrels in various calibers, but then decided the price difference of just buying a new rifle was not wide enough compared to barrel price.
So, love my mz rifle, but the concept and price I considered not worth it.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In my mind, there is no better way to teach a youngster, than how hunt within their capabilities, and to make the first shot count with a single shot rifle. I started that way, and been using single shots ever since. The TC's (Encore) versatility is hard to beat, imo as well.
It's not hard to cover a whole host of different animals or situations, with one gun and couple extra barrels carried in one case.
I shoot Ruger #1's also, but they are getting to point where I can buy 2 more barrels for the price of one gun, and still have cash left over for glass. And I still have some barrels on my want list.
[Linked Image]

Life is a journey of many trails, the trail you choose, is not as important as how you walk it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just hate the fact that 99% of the hunting shows, which for the most part I don't even watch anymore, feature T/C's.

Shove something down my throat and I'll look the opposite way.

Life is just one damned thing after another
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If someone paid me to hunt with one, I would. Put one side-by-side with a nice Mauser, a featherweight model 70, etc. and which would you love. Kind of like comparing Rosie Odonell to one of the Victoria's Secret models.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I won't argue looks with you,,,,, that's for certain!!! I do love a pretty peice of wood or a classic rifle just like most. Just when it comes to hunting guns, I'm more a utilitatian. Looks just aren't important, function and versatility is what works for me. That, and I hunt with a handgun platform more than rifle,,,then the options start becoming more limited also.
But there we are again,,each to their own, in what makes life go around.

Life is a journey of many trails, the trail you choose, is not as important as how you walk it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shawnmitchell
My buddy has one and he loves it (although every time we head out he seems to have something else in his hands). I'm thinking it might make a good backup rifle / rifle for my 12 year-old / muzzleloader / slug gun setup. I don't see them mentioned much here. What is the feeling about this system?

Thanks,

Shawn

Well, you asked. smile

Trigger sucks.
Too light in heavy kickers.
Not accurate enough in "varmit" bullets.

I must qualify that none of the above matters much to some people, and for them...it's a cool, compact rifle that changes barrels (cartridges) easily.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I purchased a stainless encore magnum .50 muzzle loader with walnut stock and forend around 10 years ago. I thought I was going to do the swiss army knife of guns thing with barrels, pistol grip swaps etc. I purchased a .243 barrel and rifle forend that I never used. I've since sold that barrel, the switcharoo thing never floated my boat.

It's just my muzzle loader. I like it fine for that but it's the most rust prone thing I have ever owned (yes I said stainless).

That thing is terrible!! I've never seen anything like it, you really have to keep after it with an oily rag. I'm currently using wax, going to see how that does for my rust prevention this year.

It's accurate for me and unlike Pat's experience above I find my trigger to be outstanding (possibly this rifle's biggest strength).

But It suffers from thompson encore crud ring syndrom. I use kleanbore primers and american pioneer gold FFG in order to battle the crud ring issue. But 3 shots is absolutely the max before I have to clean it. If I try seating a 4th shot prior to cleaning I can not seat the bullet against the charge.

So, insanely rust prone satin finish stainless and the crud ring are my dislikes for mine.

I cannot express how insanely rust prone this thing is, I'd be better with unfinished mild cabon steel because I think I could keep it oiled well enough to outperform what I have now.

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Please see signature.... enough said. smile

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Cerakote would fix the rust issue or Rustoleum if on a budget.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've had three that I've had to sell for $$$ reasons. Wish I still had them.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree, the factory trigger on the Encore leaves some to be desired. But that can be remedied for the most part to acceptable hunting trigger. Not only weight, but the stock design also could be better for heavy kickers. But,,,,both those could be said for many production guns out there.

As for the accuracy, there's a lot of wiggle room there. Depends on how you go about it. I'll admit, I spend extra on custom barrels, needed or not. Accuracy on my varmint rigs will stand alongside most any other, and the heavier cals too. 1/4 moa or better isn't unheard of. The rule? no,,, but one can get there. One of the barrels I have set up for PD's, is plain boring to shoot at 600 yds., and a might farther. It also serves me for my mid fence line yote gun. At that range of 800 yds, it's not the accuracy, it's the wind. Calm days no accuracy issues. Add a 15 20 mph wind, the yote just got a 50-50 chance on life,,,,maybe. I only have one barrel that won't shoot sub moa. That is a .454 Casull shooting cast. That don't bother me in the least, as it is my short range hunter, and does what I need.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When MS allowed our muzzle loader season to become the farce of a primitive weapons season that it is now, I removed my MZ barrel and installed a 35 Whelen barrel. I had owned several barrels through the years that never shot well enough to interest me. When I installed the 35 barrel my interest was peaked. Dang thing shoots very well with handloads. A little cerrocoat and it makes a great truck gun.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Love mine, but I have a Bergara MZ barrel. I use Blackhorn powder and I can shoot 50 times without cleaning because of the previously mentioned crud ring. I am going to Ultra bore coat it and recheck with 777 and pellets. Super accurate, 3 shots touch at 100.

Enough already, just shoot it!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by lhead71
Love mine, but I have a Bergara MZ barrel. I use Blackhorn powder and I can shoot 50 times without cleaning because of the previously mentioned crud ring.

I'd be happy with 10 shots.

I have yet to try blackhorn 209 but I've done everything available leading up to American pioneer gold. It's the best I've tried so far and I'm hopeful that blackhorn will be even better.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I like the Contender platform way better than the Encore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (21, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,669 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,450
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.