-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 819 of 1,842 1 2 817 818 819 820 821 1841 1842
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
we just had a case of Bovine TB, first one since '82. heard it on the radio the other day.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
God help you.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
First day of PA deer season, wet and rain all day. Saw one in the middle of the road on the way home.

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I feel for ya Dave and fellow Buckaroos. We are still under assault in the area that my property is in in NE Lower Michigan. It's been going on since the late 90's, albeit control attempts have mostly fallen on the shoulders of hunters. So far the state hasn't resorted to Government run extermination. I don't know what the policy is as far as antlerless permits anymore but at one time you could buy 10 a day, per person with no limit. I think there is a cap on them now. The only thing that has gave us a break is after about 3 yrs no one could find a deer left to shoot so everyone left the area to hunt somewhere else...Now we have much lighter hunting pressure and we are experiencing a very modest rebound in numbers. So many jobs exist with the state because of TB that I doubt they will ever let go..but I'd best not get started on that. The other thing is we don't have wolves in numbers yet, but thats just a matter of time too.
Hang in there friend, I don't really know what else to say.

Scott

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
On a brighter note, I got back from our camp yesterday after being there since the 10th. We managed 5 bucks for 9 hunters. Unfortunately I'm remiss on pictures this year. The deer were taken throughout the season and with the warm weather we skinned them and put in coolers as fast as they came in so no time for a group pic. I finally scored on the 7th day of season...and by then I was all alone. Much more fun when ya have someone to share it all with. I did get a couple of pics of my own....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Not the best photo quality...I didn't have a camera (Mama went to Tx and took it) so I drove to town and bought the only one the drugstore had. Then it took me a while to figure out the timer....all in all it was a late evening all by myself...but a very satisfying one....:) Shot was 103 paces....350 Rem Mag....200 gr at a chrono'd 2730...Good medicine...

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Very nice!! Congrats!

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Great buck Scott! Congrats.

I see you haul them out un-field dressed. Where do you do it?

Camp is where you make it.
S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks Guys. Tom I usually do field dress them in the woods...but I knew I couldn't wrestle him up on the quad alone and I didn't wanna drag him for a mile and a quarter opened up. So I waited till I pulled him up with the quad in my tree at tha cabin...put the wheelbarrow under him and did it then. It didn't work half bad...it was the first time I did that. If we'd have had snow I'd have dressed him before dragging...just didn't want the dirt inside.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Made it back last night. Another deer season in the record books.

We ended up with 1 small 8 pointer on the meat pole. My buddy hit a large 8 pointer at 4:10 PM on the opener. It was a head on shot and he pulled left breaking the bucks shoulder. Snowing heavily at the time. He tracked it as long as he could than went back on Sunday but no luck finding it.

He scored on the smaller buck Thanksgiving day. Weather was all over the place. Snow, rain temps around 50* than snow again.

I saw a number of deer, but they were either wmall does or this years fawns so I didn't drop the hammer. My 88 year old uncle saw 2 deer and he was happy.

We saw about 20% fewer deer compared to last year.

We also had a few lows.

My buddies pickup was hit while parked by a guy the took a cornor to fast and slid into Rick's truck. To the guys credit he hiked over a mile back to our camp to tell Rick what happened. Damage was to the front bumper and the hood.

The youngest member of our group received a text from his wife who is 3 months pragnant that there may be a problem with the baby so he had to head home. Tests were being run last week but we haven't heard anything yet.

Happy belated birthday Taylor.

WB congrats to you and your wife on your new addition.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bill,

Thanks for your update. So sorry tho hear that your hunting partner's wife and the baby are not doing well. What a way to spend a deer hunt. Prayers sent for all those involved.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SSB

350 Rem Mag....200 gr at a chrono'd 2730...Good medicine...

How did you get the buck to stand just perfectly behind the chronograph? grin confused

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hey Grizz, prayers out to that young family.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Bill,

Sorry I didn't call you last night. I didn't get a good look at the pictuers. I did get them loaded into photobucket though. I'll give you a shout tonight and we can talk about which ones you want me to put on.

Great buck Todd and the lady tag teamed on!

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Thx guys.

Might as well add my DIL (Age 33) to your prayer lists. She had a byopsy on both breasts yesterday. Results won't be in for 3-5 days.

Waiting for Charter to show up this AM to install our new high speed internet connection (12 Mbps).

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Best wishes for your daughter and your friend with the baby on the way.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
DIL added Bill.

Okay fellers, Dad and brother Brian and I went goose hunting over the weekend with a couple buddies. There are thousands of geese around. So we got 2. Woulda limited out, but our setup just wasnt quite right with the wind direction, etc. It was a fun time. But here is the internesting part....we shot a goose that I dunno what it is for sure. It came in with the Canadians and I suspect it is half Canandian. Who the pappy is....? Anybody have any guesses? Note the big knob on his forehead, the grey beak and of course, the yellow legs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And just cuz I was in photobucket, here is a pic of one of my boys with a Lesser Canadian we shot earlier this year. I love his expression!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Prayers sent Bill for your DIL and your friends and their baby.

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just got caught up on the thread. I have not been on here since I left for the last weekend of hunting.

The little one I was talking about is the 4 year old of the friends I'm living with. I bring her to school and daycare.

I almost smucked a big doe on my way home lastnight. It was within inches. It was actually pretty exciting since that was the closest I've been to getting a deer in the last few years. smile

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey ND. Will you come shoot some of those deers that I almost hit on my long drive to work today? I hate paying attention for that 6 minutes.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yes, I will.

B-man, that thing looks haff farm goose to me.

yeller legs and such.

Something clever here.

Page 819 of 1,842 1 2 817 818 819 820 821 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 10 invisible), 1,573 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,296
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.