Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Damn my spelling. Supposed to be THREE rifles for everything. Ok I'll start ya off. And you guys helpl me pick the third caliber. Ok?<P>I have a SS win-70 in 375 H&H.<P>I almost (grin) have a ss win-70 in 30-06 to go with it. (hang in there flinch, I got money to send tommorrow!) <P>I want ONE and ONLY ONE smaller caliber. And there are several really good ones too!! <P>What is it folks? What should I build next? 257 Weatherby? 243AI? 223? 25-06? Don't care about production ammo or cost. It will be handloaded all the way. Will shoot everything form praire rats, to coyotes?<P>Can't wait to hear guys.<P>tex<P>And thats ALL the rifles I'll ever ever need!!! Uhhhhh... Until I start on my "lightweight rifle". And the big fat barreled varmint gun? And one bigger then the 375 H&H "just incase" (grin).<P>Oh crap!!! I gots to hide this site from Robin till this thread dissapears!! I am in deep doodoo folks.<P>SPIKE!!! Don't worry about whacking on me for that last post. Rob beat the crap out of me when she read it. Women have NO sense of humor I swear. (BOSEG) <p>[This message has been edited by texas_hunter (edited January 26, 2001).]

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.
GB1

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Third rifle's easy.<P>.25-06 Ackley.<P>Jack

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I say if you're looking at the small end a 223 would be a good way to go due to light recoil for those days when the critter towns are jump'n and the small amount of powder required for the job. But if ya want the best thing for coyotes then the 243 gets my vote hands down. Hace ya considered a 22 Cheetah or 6mm-06 in the equasion yet? Maybe ya really need a dozen rifles just to keep things straight. [Linked Image]<P>------------------<BR>"The only thing to fear is fear itself"

Walk softly and carry a big stick. Prefferably one that shoots big bullets.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mtgoat:<BR><B>I say if you're looking at the small end a 223 would be a good way to go due to light recoil for those days when the critter towns are jump'n and the small amount of powder required for the job. But if ya want the best thing for coyotes then the 243 gets my vote hands down. Hace ya considered a 22 Cheetah or 6mm-06 in the equasion yet? Maybe ya really need a dozen rifles just to keep things straight. [Linked Image]<P></B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Gotta say the 25-06AI, Bigstick talked me into this one, I already have the action gotta get the rest now, way cheaper than the 257 Wthby, good luck BEARHUNTER

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tex,Tex,Texxxxx! There are certain rules,that one MUST follow. Rule #1 is own a good 22lr. Rule #2 is own a good 223. That is the only Gun Rules I know. You will be absolutely dazzled and amazed,at what can be readily accomplished with a very ACCURATE 223 bolt gun. Please understand,I have and LOVE AR-15's. BUT,you need a truly accurate boltgun,elevation turret,and a rangefinder. It is the best and most enjoyable practice,that you can experience. It is a fabulous cartridge,and I say that with a VERY open mind,because I've had or HAVE,most of the 22 centerfires.(22Hornet,22K-Hornet,222Rem,223Rem,223Ackley,224Wby,22-250,22-250Ackley,22CHeetah Mach 1,220Swift),those are the ones,that I can remember(in the cabinet now). The 223 is KING. It offers the most,for least. Good velocity,stellar accuracy,great barrel life,easy demeanor(non fussy),cheap brass,cheap ammo,great powder mileage,etc,etc,. If you really want to punish things,load 50gr V-Max,with H-335. You will shoot a 223,at a minimum of 20x more than any other centerfire. But don't dick around,get a GOOD one. Here endeth,the sermon.......

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tex,<BR>I second the stick.<BR>Except it must be a tweaked 10/22,and an extremely accurate AR based rifle.<BR>The bolt rifles are too slow to load when the dog towns are jumping,and for 'yotes the AR can't be beat.<BR>For the cost of a tweaked bolt .223 I can put together a spacegun that will scare the dickins out of PETA,and reduce sod poodles to fertilizer out to 600yds without too much fuss.Optics are the key though.get good glass.<BR>You have the number.<BR>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yessir,the 10/22 conversion,is MANDATORY. The AR's are fabulous,but I think a bolt gun is required first. Much in the same way,I think a quality single stage press(Rockchucker),is a better first,than a progressive. I have yet to outgrow boltguns,or the single stage press. After using them,and "mastering" them,the AR and Dillon route,is a smoother transition. That doesn't mean,I would happily part with an AR or the 550B!........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (10ring1, 1234, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 17,188 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,321
Posts18,545,869
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.