Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
anyone have one? How are they? Do they have a good edge? Do they stay sharp? How easy are they to sharpen? I am comparing to an Ingram for twice the money.

GB1

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've one in S30V that field dressed a couple deer easily without being touched up. So the edge is good,sharp, and compared well to my Gene Ingram. Neither my Winston or Ingram knives felt as scary sharp as some other knives I have bought. In practice both are as sharp as anything I've used and keep it longer than any of the other knives I have used.
As to ease to sharpen that is on you. S30V and D2 from Dave/Jason/Gene are in the 61 RC range and of similar angle.
My take is Jason knives compare well quality wise with Gene's. Gene makes a clean designed knife perhaps finished a hair finer. Biggest difference will be the blade/handle configurations per your preference.
Jason offers a lot for the loot,IMO, and you can get them in your hands pretty quick.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bought three of his this year. Every one is a very functional work of art.

Sam......

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Sam, I have seen some pretty knives out there, my deal is KISS. I want a good knife, I like Jason's prices but I been there done that bought a knife from a guy that had a steep angle on the edge grind, the blade was pretty thick down by the edge and so a steep cutting edge. I could not get the damn thing sharp to save my life. It was a very nice looking knife but worthless. Don't want to repeat that and I know that Ingram knives are very good based on all the publicity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've acquired several Jason Winston knives. They are great knives at a great price. I agree with Mannlicher's opinion wholeheartedly. Jason has and continues to learn the craft from his dad, David Winston...a true craftsman in knife making. David has probably forgotten more about making knives than all of the other makers from Mississippi know put together! Bottom line...you can't go wrong with one of Jason's knives. You'd be hard pressed to find a better knife for the money.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
OK, I just don't want a knife that is a custom POS, been there and done that.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Can't add much except to say I agree with the praise others have given Jason. He does an excellent all around job on every knife.

~ Fort Henry Custom Knives ~

Serious Knives for the Serious Hunter
http://www.forthenrycustomknives.com
R
rdd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have one of David's knives in the classifieds for sale at a good price.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bought an EDC and a knife to use in the field from Jason this year. Both are very good knives, fit the hand well, and have proven very nice to use. I've had no problem keeping them sharp. I recommend his products to others in the area.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Sam, I have seen some pretty knives out there, my deal is KISS. I want a good knife, I like Jason's prices but I been there done that bought a knife from a guy that had a steep angle on the edge grind, the blade was pretty thick down by the edge and so a steep cutting edge. I could not get the damn thing sharp to save my life. It was a very nice looking knife but worthless. Don't want to repeat that and I know that Ingram knives are very good based on all the publicity.

For what it's worth, I have Gene's, David's and Jason's blades and all are excellent quality. I believe Gene learned from David, as did Jason obviously, so I'd say you can feel pretty safe with one of Jason's blades.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

For what it's worth, I have Gene's, David's and Jason's blades and all are excellent quality. I believe Gene learned from David, as did Jason obviously, so I'd say you can feel pretty safe with one of Jason's blades. [/quote]

ABSOLUTELY

See what's available at my website. Thanks

http://aablades.blademakers.com/

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.

Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jason is his own man, and makes a very functional, beautiful product.
I don't think I'm talking out of school though, when I say that Mr. David keeps a close eye on quality. laugh

Jimmy, if you buy a knife from Jason, and the performance of that knife does not please you, I'll buy it from you myself, no questions asked.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Jimmy, if you buy a knife from Jason, and the performance of that knife does not please you, I'll buy it from you myself, no questions asked.

How's THAT for a vote of confidence in Jason Winston's craftsmanship!!!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Sold!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing against Gene personally, but I think his knives are priced to high for what they are. A micarta scaled S30V will push $300. Guys like Big Stick (Boxer) pimped them pretty hard for years and Gene had orders coming out of his arse, and still does. He pushed his prices up accordingly. Can't blame Gene for this though.

I'd be looking real hard at the Winston's, Menefee's and Miller's as any of these guys make outstanding knives at very reasonable prices.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Nothing against Gene personally, but I think his knives are priced to high for what they are. A micarta scaled S30V will push $300. Guys like Big Stick (Boxer) pimped them pretty hard for years and Gene had orders coming out of his arse, and still does. He pushed his prices up accordingly. Can't blame Gene for this though.

I'd be looking real hard at the Winston's, Menefee's and Miller's as any of these guys make outstanding knives at very reasonable prices.

There is that and the fact that once word got Gene Ingram had a nearly 2 year back log speculators and dealers jumped in ordering 5 to 10 knives at a time to resell. I don't blame gene for raising his prices. He still builds more hunting knife for the money than Bob Dozier does, when one considers overall finish as well as handle materials etc.

As far as credit were credit is due, let's not forget Gene Ingram used to be a CUSTOMER of David Winston's. David graciously thought him knife making. They all seem to still be friends, but lets' not forget who the original Master was.

And for the record, I feel the current Winston knives from both David and Jason are as much of a bargain right now as Gene Ingram's were 5 years ago.

One thing that needs to be said of that "Northern Mississippi school" of knife design( Winston ,Ingram and May) is that the handles are rather slim- other than the outer profile of the blade tang, there is not much to hold on to in terms of thickness.

The handles are usually only 1" tall by about 5/8" thick at the largest point. The knives are not very big to start with and this turns some folks off, even though the knives themselves are beautifully made and very sleek in their design.. They do not feel the same in the hand as a fully contoured handle like Loveless, for example.

Last edited by jim62; 11/30/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ingram may have learned from Winston, but Ingram's fit and finish outshines by leaps and bounds.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those are very good points Jim. The first Ingram I bought (to see what all the rage was about) was a #5 and while it was beautifully finished, it was just to small in my hand. You are right about Gene, Charlie and David being friend's too. One thing I think worth mentioning about flat grinds especially if you opt for S30V, is that they are harder to sharpen once you have killed the initial edge cause they get thicker much faster than the wheel grinds used by Menefee and Miller.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There is always new & up n comers
I have a small hunter right now FS in the classifieds by Menefee's younger brother Rocky & it is hollow ground thin,feels great,for waaay under $200

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don't forget Al Alexander if looking at the MS makers, he has the Winston influence also but with a touch of his own expertise thrown in, especially if you are looking a larger handled drop point, his #1 DP's are awesome! I have two and am VERY happy with both.
Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (22250rem, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 52 invisible), 1,631 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,997
Posts18,520,367
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.