Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Now see, Steve, that's where ya screwed up.
Had you enlisted in my state militia company, you would have enjoyed the climate and grateful women of New Orleans and in addition to the pension check, you would have also had a land grant afterwards.
Still waiting on mine too.

Would you happen to know what pencil speed your buddy used to draw the picture?

.....civilize 'em with a Krag
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ikesdad
Would you happen to know what pencil speed your buddy used to draw the picture?

I'm afraid not.

The only thing I know is that he was responsible for what has become known as the Crayola effect, a.k.a. the thin red line.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Now that's funnyshit right there.

.....civilize 'em with a Krag
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the U.S. the War of 1812 is often referred to as the Second War of Independence. It started less than 30 years after the previous war with England was finished, and we were basically on our own since France was preoccupied with their own war against England in Europe. The War of 1812 wasn't one of the most prominent wars in U.S. history, but it was important in forging our national identity at the time.

It is interesting to know the War of 1812 was important to Canada.

I remember an episode from the TV series "The West Wing" that mentioned how there was something unresolved between Canada and the U.S. from the War of 1812 (a border dispute I think), and whatever was unresolved became a running joke through the episode.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You guys know how the "White House" got it's name I'm sure.It was repainted white after being partially burned by a landing force from the British Navy.This force also bombarded Fort McHenry,giving rise to the Star Spangled Banner.The White House was burned in retaliation for the American torching of the Legislative buildings in York,capitol of Upper Canada.During that fight a powder magazine in York exploded causing more US casualties than the rest of that expedition. Monasahee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They could never get away with calling it that in Canada too many politically correct people around! Maybe rainbow house would make the cut??

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Nice post!

Old history is what separates us - and binds us together.

The Peace Arch at the US/Canada border says it best - "Two children of a common mother."

Like brothers - we disagree on some things - like family - we are bound together.

Neither one of us, living in our respective countries, wants our own country to be like the other fellow's country - but were both richer for having one another as neighbors.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't know about that. I lived beside France for a few years. I often wondered if anyone would get upset if they were beamed off the planet. I asked Belgians, the Dutch, Germans, Brits and some Danes. They all said the same thing - No.

From that, I concluded that they wouldn't be missed.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There will be no comment from me on the French wink

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm far more a student of history than most and it never occured to me that Canada would consider American efforts there to be much to think about. All our forces intended to do up there was check British efforts to incite Indian raids on us, there was certainly no serious intent to gather Canada into the Union. Not that it wouldn't have been a good thing for Canada in view of imperial England's history of exploitation to the point of abuse of her 'colonial subjects', perhaps especially so as cannon fodder in times of war.

Our old guys resented govenment abuse of individual liberties more than your old guys did but none of that matters today; seems most folks on both sides of the border now like to snuggle up to government teats more than our great-great grandfathers did. ??

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Exactly!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Boy, this is going to deteriorate fast.

yeah, typical anti American bull scheit from Canada. A place that thinks they are independent, but still sing God Save The Queen. laugh

Sam......

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

yeah, typical anti American bull scheit from Canada. A place that thinks they are independent, but still sing God Save The Queen. laugh

Oh yeah!!
Aren't you the brave one now that kutenay (crazy) is gone!.. laugh

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I believe we could "take" Canada with a strongly worded letter.
Cisco

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice to know who ones friends are.

Jim

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Nice post!
The Peace Arch at the US/Canada border says it best - "Two children of a common mother."

Or as some have said: "Two chidren of a common mother separated by a common language". smile

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Yah but it's only sung at the end of the news reels in our "Cinemas" when everyone is already leaving to get to their horse and buggy. smile
I'n not a fan of Lizzy our foreign monarch but's she's much better looking than anyone on your money. grin

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I don't know about that. I lived beside France for a few years. I often wondered if anyone would get upset if they were beamed off the planet. I asked Belgians, the Dutch, Germans, Brits and some Danes. They all said the same thing - No.

From that, I concluded that they wouldn't be missed.

Not that this has anything to do with anything, but many years ago I dated a rather cute French-Canadian lass from Montreal. On the days she woke up Canadian, she was quite pleasant. On the days she woke up French, she was utterly insufferable.

My favorite one-liner about Canada comes from Robin Williams: "Canada is like a loft above a really good party."

Second-favorite one-liner about Canada, also from Robin Williams: "Canadians are like our retarded cousins."

My own thoughts about Canada are far more kind. Why on earth would anyone even contemplate taking Canada by force? Simiply confiscate all the beer and the place would instantly erupt in flames. wink

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I also am glad our invasion didn't work. I think we are better off with two countries. I just regret the death of young American, Canadian, and British men of any era. For the record, the US won three of the last major battle (The Chippewa, Baltimore, and New Orleans) and tied a fourth (Lundy's Lane).

n007 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cisco1
I believe we could "take" Canada with a strongly worded letter.
Cisco

Of course our advantaqe would, given past practise, be that we would have a 3 year head start before the US armed forces showed up.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1beaver_shooter, 22magnut, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,603
Posts18,532,605
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.